Winch info

JKEmmy

Hey guys, just had a few questions on winches. So we all know warn, I think I'm going to go with that unless someone has a winch brand they feel strongly about. Just wondering if a 12000 pound winch is too Overkill haha. Also if y'all think a 9500 pound winch is not enough. It satisfies my 1.5x weight. Has anyone had experience with quadratecs winches? And one more question. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the warn vr-10s gen 2 is heavier than the vr-12s gen 2? I would think the larger would weigh more. Thanks guys! Happy turkey day.

J

JKDream

Hey guys, just had a few questions on winches. So we all know warn, I think I'm going to go with that unless someone has a winch brand they feel strongly about. Just wondering if a 12000 pound winch is too Overkill haha. Also if y'all think a 9500 pound winch is not enough. It satisfies my 1.5x weight. Has anyone had experience with quadratecs winches? And one more question. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the warn vr-10s gen 2 is heavier than the vr-12s gen 2? I would think the larger would weigh more. Thanks guys! Happy turkey day.

After owning a chinese winch I wouldn't go with anything other than a USA Warn.
9500 is more than adequate, it pulls my very heavy 4 door out of anything. 12K is overkill.

WJCO

Meme King
If you have the budget, go with a 10 or 12. However, my Zeon 8 has been good to me. Fully loaded with tools and family, my Jeep weighs about 6k and the 8000 pound winch has pulled it uphill, through snow, and through mud. It should be fine if you buy a quality winch.

Just one picture I happened to have handy, an 8 did just fine.

IMG_0342.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can double the pulling power with a snatch block, though it uses twice the cable.

JKEmmy

If you have the budget, go with a 10 or 12. However, my Zeon 8 has been good to me. Fully loaded with tools and family, my Jeep weighs about 6k and the 8000 pound winch has pulled it uphill, through snow, and through mud. It should be fine if you buy a quality winch.

Just one picture I happened to have handy, an 8 did just fine.

View attachment 283750

You can double the pulling power with a snatch block, though it uses twice the cable.

Thanks guys yeah I can get the 12000 cheaper than the 10000 right now even though I don't need it haha. And there's always the snatch block..... Good point. I could go with the warn 8000 and might be golden.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The vr series are Chinese too. I run a M8000S, hasn’t let me down yet. Had a 9500 on a 4Runner and it’s great too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

We run a 9500 PowerPlant on both our JK's and over the last 10 years, they've gotten the job done well.

Something to consider is how much power you have at what layer of the spool. The more rope you have out the closer to the power rating you are. An 8000# winch is capable of 8000 # of force at the layer closest to the drum, as you spool in more layers you lose power because you are effectively changing the gearing as the layers grow. While an 8k winch is a very capable weight rating, unless you’re spooled out you’re not getting that 8k so getting a bigger one is not a bad idea if the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
The other consideration is line length. My warn 10s has 100’ and my 12s is only 80’. 20’ can make a difference in a bad situation. I can an extra 30k strap to make up the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

14JK-U

I personally have a smittybilt 9500 synthetic I got for a steal when my jeep was new. is it the best? not a chance, but its gotten me out of places I shouldn't have been stock. and as an added side note it was a cheap winch to bang around with while I learned the added length of my 4 door. with that being said and as much as its saved me, I will never buy one again. it sounds like its going to blow up if you're good and stuck. once I get a warn this smitty will be moved to my wifes 2 door rubi until we start the build on it

Top Bottom