I am a newbie, and would like to pick your brains about upgrades.

a-OK_in_my_JK

So I just bought my first Jeep, which is a 2007 Wrangler Sahara. I absolutely love it, however managed to get myself stuck in the snow today. What light headed in for low to get myself unstuck, and the wheel was cranked, I broke one of the ball joints. Now that I'm sitting here waiting for the record, I am thinking about all the other ways I could have got myself unstuck. Had I had slightly larger grabbier tires, or a winch, I would not be in this predicament. So once my bank account recovers from whatever it's going to cost to have the record come up and drag my ass off the mountain, I need ideas for the most cost-effective ways of being a little more off-road worthy, when the going gets snowy, or muddy.

Sent from my LG-H918 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome to WAL. Totally depends on what you’re going to be doing in your Jeep. But if you’re just looking to have a bit more capable rig on a budget, without going overboard, I would suggest a good set of MT tires (like a Cooper STT or Nitto Trail Grappler) and maybe an inexpensive rear locker, like a Detroit for example. A winch and recovery gear are both something you should have as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
I second the advice from Mike_JK_Houston_711. A good set of MT tires helps a lot! The Cooper STT Pros are awesome and then the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I’ve ran both and like them in that order. Carrying a shovel is always a good idea with other recovery gear. I invested in a Krazy Beaver Tool and really like it.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Welcome, like mike said, it really depends on your goals for your Jeep. It helps to decide what the end result is so your not throwing good money at bad. But a winch and recovery gear probably would of got you out of that situation, if you like play alone.

WJCO

Meme King
As others have stated, don't wheel alone. Also let more air out of the tires and carry a 10 dollar aluminum snow shovel. Also, how did the ball joint break? You mean the axle broke and took the ball joint out with it?

IMG_20171125_173629_900.jpg

TRLJNKY

They all nailed it but never run alone. I also have an 07 Sahara. Im running trimmed fenders, a budget boost, and 35's. It amazes me with what this thing is capable of with the handicaps we have. Ive been lucky enough to run the Rubicon and others trails in Northern Nevada. So far so good. I dont have lockers, though I will lock the rear when I regear. When it comes to mud and snow we will be at a big disadvantage because of no lockers. On hard pack and granite, as long as I air down it does really well. I have a Warn winch but honestly I havnt used it once yet but its nice to know its there if I need it. Recovery gear and trail buddies is the first step IMO. My budget is very limited but it doesnt stop me from doing everything I can to still go out, have fun, and hang with the big boys. Sorry to hear about your ball joint. Not sure how you took that out though.

aka cavfighter

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I think the best advice given so far is to never wheel alone. Having a second rig with almost always provides a really safe exit strategy. Having good recovery gear with to help out either rig is always a must.

a-OK_in_my_JK

Great I really appreciate the input. And yeah, sounds like a solid set of tires should be my first upgrade. And I'll take full dumb dumb credit for not being prepared on this one. However, just like in my car, I always carry a go bag, where I can extricate myself to safety. But yes if I ever am going to go someplace way out, or someplace I'm on familiar with, I will definitely find a buddy. 20171125_133147.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Great I really appreciate the input. And yeah, sounds like a solid set of tires should be my first upgrade. And I'll take full dumb dumb credit for not being prepared on this one. However, just like in my car, I always carry a go bag, where I can extricate myself to safety. But yes if I ever am going to go someplace way out, or someplace I'm on familiar with, I will definitely find a buddy. View attachment 284105

Looking at that pic, the axe ujoint broke and the lower ball joint separated. Did the upper ball joint get damaged as well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great I really appreciate the input. And yeah, sounds like a solid set of tires should be my first upgrade. And I'll take full dumb dumb credit for not being prepared on this one. However, just like in my car, I always carry a go bag, where I can extricate myself to safety. But yes if I ever am going to go someplace way out, or someplace I'm on familiar with, I will definitely find a buddy.

Bummer. Next time, when you hear the bang - let off the gas.

black pearl

Hooked
Great I really appreciate the input. And yeah, sounds like a solid set of tires should be my first upgrade. And I'll take full dumb dumb credit for not being prepared on this one. However, just like in my car, I always carry a go bag, where I can extricate myself to safety. But yes if I ever am going to go someplace way out, or someplace I'm on familiar with, I will definitely find a buddy. View attachment 284105

New axel shaft and some good ball joints like dynatrac pro steer(I'm from the belief, if it breaks upgrade) will get you up and running. Beyond that tiers recovery gear and a buddy. You should be able to play without to much issues

Top Bottom