3.8 vs 3.6

Reso

I test drove a 2018 2dr JK with 3:73 gears and the 3.6l backed by a 6 speed on stock 29’s. I drive an 07 with a six speed and 3:21 gears. I have steel wheels and 33’s full armor bumpers F/R winch etc... I was expecting a whole new animal in terms of power off the line and highway. I was not very impressed with the 3.6 with the way everyone talks about how much better it is over the 3.8l. Anyone else find that the 3.8l suits them just fine?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
My 3.8 suits me just fine because it is paid for. It is slow, but it gets me where I need to go. On the trail it is perfectly fine. On the freeway, it’s life in the slow lane.

BaddestCross

I'm happy with the 3.8, personally. It's been - knock on wood - reliable, does well on the trail, and I regularly run 70-80MPH on the highway with no issues other than my gearing needs to be upgraded.

I've got a 3.6 in my wife's van and I do like it along with its 6 speed auto, but the early ones had an issue with bad heads and bad casting so I would guess it depends on what year Jeep you have and how hard you run it.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jeeeep

Hooked
I test drove a 2018 2dr JK with 3:73 gears and the 3.6l backed by a 6 speed on stock 29’s. I drive an 07 with a six speed and 3:21 gears. I have steel wheels and 33’s full armor bumpers F/R winch etc... I was expecting a whole new animal in terms of power off the line and highway. I was not very impressed with the 3.6 with the way everyone talks about how much better it is over the 3.8l. Anyone else find that the 3.8l suits them just fine?

the biggest difference is in the automatic version, engine power wise they are pretty close on the powerband

For manual transmissions, I think they all use the NSG370 and are geared about the same if not the same.

Sahara_Maverick

For what I saw there's a (minimal) improvement overall. My friends with the 3.6 go easy on highways where my 3.8 struggles.

No difference on the trails. We go over the same trails and obstacles the same way.

So, it's not worth the upgrade but if you are buying now then I'd go with the 3.6. Just not the first couple years. Lots of complaints about them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
the biggest difference is in the automatic version, engine power wise they are pretty close on the powerband

For manual transmissions, I think they all use the NSG370 and are geared about the same if not the same.

I’d say that is probably accurate. My ‘09 auto was a dog. The ‘14 auto I have now is much improved. I had a manual 2 door with a 3.6, and I wish I’d bought a manual JKU.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I'm happy with the 3.8, personally. It's been - knock on wood - reliable, does well on the trail, and I regularly run 70-80MPH on the highway with no issues other than my gearing needs to be upgraded.

I've got a 3.6 in my wife's van and I do like it along with its 6 speed auto, but the early ones had an issue with bad heads and bad casting so I would guess it depends on what year Jeep you have and how hard you run it.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yeah my wife's uncle had to replace his heads on his 2012 plus that the first year for the 3.6L so there was a lot of bugs to tweak. I love my 3.8L slow on the slops of the highway but when it's flat im rolling with the speed of traffic.

timberwoof

‘09 3.8 auto, it’s slow on the highway but no problems on the trail. Drove a friend’s ‘15 3.6 auto and it’s a noticeable difference especially on the highway.

Though, mine should be better once I change out the gears.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
My jeep weighs in at just over 6,000 lbs with 37s, 5.13 gears and automatic transmission which causes it to be a little slow at times with the 3.8. But I don't mind it at all. It does exactly what I need it to do. It does well off road and well enough on the freeway. I can maintain 65-70 mph over Snoqualmie Pass in Wa. I average 13-13.5 MPG in town and up around 15 on the freeway. I've done countless hours of research on V8 swaps and I've determined to just spend $2500 on a long block every 150,000 miles and put all the extra money I save from not doing a swap into something else jeep related. I know that plan doesn't work for everyone but I'm content with the 3.8L. The 3.6L definitely has more get up and go and therefore is more enjoyable. Another thing to consider is the interior change with the newer jeeps. I think the dashboard/console is much better in the newer jeeps. Good luck with the research and decision.

Reso

My jeep weighs in at just over 6,000 lbs with 37s, 5.13 gears and automatic transmission which causes it to be a little slow at times with the 3.8. But I don't mind it at all. It does exactly what I need it to do. It does well off road and well enough on the freeway. I can maintain 65-70 mph over Snoqualmie Pass in Wa. I average 13-13.5 MPG in town and up around 15 on the freeway. I've done countless hours of research on V8 swaps and I've determined to just spend $2500 on a long block every 150,000 miles and put all the extra money I save from not doing a swap into something else jeep related. I know that plan doesn't work for everyone but I'm content with the 3.8L. The 3.6L definitely has more get up and go and therefore is more enjoyable. Another thing to consider is the interior change with the newer jeeps. I think the dashboard/console is much better in the newer jeeps. Good luck with the research and decision.

The interior is much nicer, but it’s tough to justify a car payment for aesthetics inside. My 07 is paid in full. The shifter in the 12+ seems tighter in that it doesn’t flop around as much

WJCO

Meme King
The interior swapped over in 2011 but engine was 2012. So a 2011 will still have the 3.8 engine but have the upgraded interior.

Riflefan

With the cost of modifications, I would doubt that anyone would dump a 3.8 JK just for the move to a 3.6 JK. If some is looking to buy a JK, I would think they would want a 3.6, if the rest of the Jeep is like for like. I have a 3.6 and I am happy with it. I might consider movie to the new diesel in a few years. Every time I show my wife a Jeep picture or look at other peoples mods on their Jeep, my wife say I have Jeep envy. No need for 3.6 envy if you have a 3.8. Drive what you have and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As a couple of other people mentioned, where you feel it is in an automatic. A 3.8L with a 6-speed is a decent setup.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
The interior is much nicer, but it’s tough to justify a car payment for aesthetics inside. My 07 is paid in full. The shifter in the 12+ seems tighter in that it doesn’t flop around as much

I agree. I could not justify moving up based on interior but that matters to some. My 10 is also paid for and I wish I would have gone with an even earlier model to shed a few thousands off because I've replaced almost every suspension piece including axles so far.:crazyeyes:

FallonJeeper

Agreed, went from an 09 JKR automatic on 35s to a 16 JKUR originally on stock tires/gears noticeable improvement with the 3.6 and then upgraded to 37" and regear. Still great performance with the 3.6.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom