Ball Joints, to knurl or not to knurl?

The BAD Influence

I need new ball joints, but because I want to upgrade to a PR44 I don't want to spend the money on Dynatrac ball joints.
Synergy, Alloy USA, and Moog Problem Solvers are all in about the same price range, and I assume much better than stock. But something came up in looking at ball joints. This knurling issue. Some have it some don't. Is that big of a deal?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I need new ball joints, but because I want to upgrade to a PR44 I don't want to spend the money on Dynatrac ball joints.
Synergy, Alloy USA, and Moog Problem Solvers are all in about the same price range, and I assume much better than stock. But something came up in looking at ball joints. This knurling issue. Some have it some don't. Is that big of a deal?

You can "assume" they're better but they're no ProSteer. Also, they're all made in the same Chinese factory and put into different boxes and if you really want them, I might recommend you just get a set of Crown HD ball joints as they are more affordable.

Knurled ball joints are what you'd want if you have previously installed a set of aftermarket ball joints and have end forgings that aren't as tight as they used to be. That, or if you've installed a set of knurled ones before.

WJCO

Meme King

There are several members here running 35s or larger that have used those other brands (excluding Dynatrac) that you've mentioned and have had to replace them not long after. So you might as well go with the Dynatrac ball joints once and be done with it. Especially if you're ordering the axle. I believe every vendor will allow you to purchase that axle with the Dynatrac ProSteers already installed so you don't have to deal with it.

As far as knurling, you will not need that if you are getting a new axle. Some aftermarket ball joints use knurling to help seat the ball joint more, it's really un-necessary. However, once a knurled joint has been installed, it scores the inside bore of the axle C and then you are stuck with using knurled joints forever after that.

The BAD Influence

Thanks Eddie. I wouldn't argue with the pro steers being the best. I just can't justify the price, given that the PR44 I'm saving for will already have them, and I just need a temporary fix.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks Eddie. I wouldn't argue with the pro steers being the best. I just can't justify the price, given that the PR44 I'm saving for will already have them, and I just need a temporary fix.

I misread your original post. Being that you are saving for the axle currently and will have them in the new axle, I understand why you're looking for a cheaper solution now.

Top Bottom