Weird issue while wheeling

bear996

'14 JK Rubicon 6spd manual

I was out at Northwest OHV Park in Bridgeport, TX today and ran in to a weird problem. I was on a pretty off camber area, leaning a lot to the passenger side for a bit, 4lo through it, quite a bit of clutch and revving in a few areas. No smoke, no check engine lights, all appeared fine through it. I get to the top of the section where we were parking and I switch out of 4lo in to 4hi and we all hear a noticeable pop, like metal snapping, and I lose all power. I was in gear (1st) doing maybe 5 MPH, 4x4 lit up on the dash as well. I tried going in and out of gear, no luck. I would let the clutch out and it was like I wasn't in gear, or like the clutch wasn't letting out, and I wasn't able to get it out of 4hi. I let it roll back about a foot and got out of 4hi in to 2WD, and power was back to the wheels, I was able to get to the front of the park and look things over. I could see where some fluid (unkwn from where though) had leaked out, it might be oil as it has a light brown tint when wiped with a paper towel, but oil levels are good. Everything looked intact, so I aired up and babied it home. Afterwards when pulling in to the garage I put it in 4hi just for kicks and it was fine, 4lo was fine as well, crawled up the back driveway just fine with clutch out and no gas, held RPM's. There was no clanging, pinging, popping, grinding or anything out of the ordinary now. There is a distinct smell, like some sort of fluid burning but I can't tell what it is, and again no idea where it came from, I've traced it best I could and no luck. At first I thought drive shaft, then transfer case, but now I'm stumped. Could being at such a bad angle cause this? Could it have slipped completely out of gear somehow and just need some sort of reset? I plan on taking it to the shop this week to get it looked at, just seeing if anyone may have any idea what the heck could have happened. Sorry for the long rambling post, and thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:

bear996

After finding another thread about clutch smell I was idiotically riding the clutch pretty hard before going in to 4lo and letting the jeep work, so that weird smell may have been the clutch, gotta get better at using less clutch through obstacles.

jeeeep

Hooked
Jeeps are funny when moving between 4Lo - 4Hi

I have a 2010 and even though the owners manual indicates you can shift while doing 3-4mph, I've found it much easier to come to a stop, put the transmission in neutral then switch the transfer case.

Every time I've tried doing it while rolling, even below 5mph, I get a loud pop from it releasing.

make sure you're not riding the clutch - press it in all the way and be sure you're doing less than 5mph to shift the TC

I haven't owned a manual in a long time, but I always found it best in 1st or 2nd - whichever allowed a steady and slow speed that I was able to maintain without depressing the clutch.

I think the latest manuals have a feature to keep them from stalling, maybe someone with a manual will jump on

Parks34

I can assure you it is the clutch to, the stock wrangler clutch is crap, I've smoked it many times just climbing in 4wl without touching the gas or clutch. 66000 miles, and already about to need another

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
As jeeeep said best way to shift between 4hi and 4lo is stopped with the trans in neutral and foot off the brake. It should go in like butter 99% of the time. I’ve never had any luck shifting while moving even at very slow speeds.

jsukey

A little off topic, but how was Bridgeport? I'm in Fort Worth and was thinking about heading up there this weekend. It's been awhile since I've been there...just curious.

bear996

Jeeps are funny when moving between 4Lo - 4Hi

I have a 2010 and even though the owners manual indicates you can shift while doing 3-4mph, I've found it much easier to come to a stop, put the transmission in neutral then switch the transfer case.

Every time I've tried doing it while rolling, even below 5mph, I get a loud pop from it releasing.

make sure you're not riding the clutch - press it in all the way and be sure you're doing less than 5mph to shift the TC

I haven't owned a manual in a long time, but I always found it best in 1st or 2nd - whichever allowed a steady and slow speed that I was able to maintain without depressing the clutch.

I think the latest manuals have a feature to keep them from stalling, maybe someone with a manual will jump on
This makes me feel quite a bit better. I was riding the clutch, bad habit and I'm making myself not ride the clutch at all, shift and get my fat foot off it. I shouldn't have been touching it at all in 4low, not sure if it's a Rubicon feature or all JK's have it but mine doesn't stall in 4low, the computer will feed it RPM's to keep from stalling even when climbing, I just steer and feed it a little gas here and there. I haven't tried it on a steep grade hill, but it did pretty well on some small rocky climbs.

I can assure you it is the clutch to, the stock wrangler clutch is crap, I've smoked it many times just climbing in 4wl without touching the gas or clutch. 66000 miles, and already about to need another

I've heard that a ton, so I'm already in the process of preparing for a replacement. I need to start looking for a quality replacement, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

I have a 16 with manual. They will stall. I can let it drop to just under 500rpm but any more and it'll stall.

I wonder if it's a rubicon 4:1 transfer case deal, I thought I read though that it was across all submodels, I could be wrong though.

A little off topic, but how was Bridgeport? I'm in Fort Worth and was thinking about heading up there this weekend. It's been awhile since I've been there...just curious.
It was great. My first trip with a larger group so it was a little slow since we had some introductory folks with us we were spotting for and helping along. It's a different beast after a good rain. Plenty of trails out there for all levels from stock rigs to built crawlers.

Parks34

This makes me feel quite a bit better. I was riding the clutch, bad habit and I'm making myself not ride the clutch at all, shift and get my fat foot off it. I shouldn't have been touching it at all in 4low, not sure if it's a Rubicon feature or all JK's have it but mine doesn't stall in 4low, the computer will feed it RPM's to keep from stalling even when climbing, I just steer and feed it a little gas here and there. I haven't tried it on a steep grade hill, but it did pretty well on some small rocky climbs.

I've heard that a ton, so I'm already in the process of preparing for a replacement. I need to start looking for a quality replacement, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

I wonder if it's a rubicon 4:1 transfer case deal, I thought I read though that it was across all submodels, I could be wrong though.

It was great. My first trip with a larger group so it was a little slow since we had some introductory folks with us we were spotting for and helping along. It's a different beast after a good rain. Plenty of trails out there for all levels from stock rigs to built crawlers.

Idk if aem makes any for jeeps but they are amazing quality clutches

black pearl

Hooked

Maybe it's a feature that can be turned on. I've turned most unnecessary things off. But even with the 4:1 T-case I can stall in rocks and have many times 🤷*♂️

jsukey

I know my '07 will stall out. It's definitely not like the TJ's with the manual trans and 4.0! Even with 5.38 gears on 35's it will stall.

Yeah, the last time I went out there it had rained earlier that week. I'm not big into mud riding. I just like to play in the rocks! However, it was my first time out there, so I didn't know my way around. I was trying to catch up to some friends, and ended up taking a trail that I shouldn't have. Buried it up to the doors! Pulled my own self out, but it was quite the ride home with all of the mud caked up on the wheels! Here are a couple of pics from that weekend. My girlfriend managed to snag one of me stretching out my winch cable!

IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0472.JPG

bear996

Maybe it's a feature that can be turned on. I've turned most unnecessary things off. But even with the 4:1 T-case I can stall in rocks and have many times 🤷*♂️

Yeah no clue, I haven't gone over anything extremely radical without applying some throttle, but I know it will climb up a pretty steep grade without large rocks easily without my touching the gas. May have to give it a bump or two to get over larger rocks but for the most part it won't stall for me.

bear996

Yeah, the last time I went out there it had rained earlier that week. I'm not big into mud riding. I just like to play in the rocks! However, it was my first time out there, so I didn't know my way around. I was trying to catch up to some friends, and ended up taking a trail that I shouldn't have. Buried it up to the doors! Pulled my own self out, but it was quite the ride home with all of the mud caked up on the wheels! Here are a couple of pics from that weekend. My girlfriend managed to snag one of me stretching out my winch cable!

That place is infamous for sneaky deep mud pits, that's why I try to steer clear of mud holes out there, I'm not a fan of mud either, just gets in to everything and starts wearing crap down quicker than it needs to.

jsukey

That place is infamous for sneaky deep mud pits, that's why I try to steer clear of mud holes out there, I'm not a fan of mud either, just gets in to everything and starts wearing crap down quicker than it needs to.

So I've discovered!! If we do make it next week, I will be steering clear! Marble Falls is probably one of my favorite places to go if you haven't been. Over 200 miles worth of trails. We do a big run down there every year around October. The cabins are super nice, and very moderately priced.

I'm running 5.38 gears in mine with 35's and it will defnitely stall if you're not paying attention btw. I know that the manual tranny TJ's with the 4.0 were infamous for not stalling. As long as it was running correctly. That's how they were programmed. If the RPM's dropped while in low gear, the vacuum would pick up the idle, so it would keep on crawling!

bear996

So I've discovered!! If we do make it next week, I will be steering clear! Marble Falls is probably one of my favorite places to go if you haven't been. Over 200 miles worth of trails. We do a big run down there every year around October. The cabins are super nice, and very moderately priced.

I'm running 5.38 gears in mine with 35's and it will defnitely stall if you're not paying attention btw. I know that the manual tranny TJ's with the 4.0 were infamous for not stalling. As long as it was running correctly. That's how they were programmed. If the RPM's dropped while in low gear, the vacuum would pick up the idle, so it would keep on crawling!

Yeah the old TJ's were awesome in that regard. I'm still with 4.10's with 33's, will eventually go 5.38 gearing eventually but may that's a ways off, along with 35's and a supercharger. Eventually once we get other bills and wifes car paid off I'm gonna redo the suspension. I've never been to Marble Falls but definitely want to get out and see it. I need to do more wheeling with some slow and patient folks to run the ins and outs of wheeling in a manual.

jsukey

Yeah the old TJ's were awesome in that regard. I'm still with 4.10's with 33's, will eventually go 5.38 gearing eventually but may that's a ways off, along with 35's and a supercharger. Eventually once we get other bills and wifes car paid off I'm gonna redo the suspension. I've never been to Marble Falls but definitely want to get out and see it. I need to do more wheeling with some slow and patient folks to run the ins and outs of wheeling in a manual.

I would stay around 4.56 or 4.88 max on stock axles. Mine isn't my DD, but I can't imagine driving everywhere with what I have. I'm turning around 3200 RPM's at 70 mph, so it isn't ideal for long trips. I do like the way it performs in the rocks though. I'm going to be jumping to 37's at some point this year, so that will be even nicer with that gearset. It's also the smallest pinion possible for the stock axles, so it ends up being a weak point. The only reason I have them, is I got a killer deal on a pair of fully built Rubi axles. Definitely try to make that trip! I'll post up about it when the time comes. You don't have to worry about people running off and leaving you. We always run in a bunch of different groups with varying degrees of experience, as well as beginner groups. We leave no one behind!!

bear996

I would stay around 4.56 or 4.88 max on stock axles. Mine isn't my DD, but I can't imagine driving everywhere with what I have. I'm turning around 3200 RPM's at 70 mph, so it isn't ideal for long trips. I do like the way it performs in the rocks though. I'm going to be jumping to 37's at some point this year, so that will be even nicer with that gearset. It's also the smallest pinion possible for the stock axles, so it ends up being a weak point. The only reason I have them, is I got a killer deal on a pair of fully built Rubi axles. Definitely try to make that trip! I'll post up about it when the time comes. You don't have to worry about people running off and leaving you. We always run in a bunch of different groups with varying degrees of experience, as well as beginner groups. We leave no one behind!!

True, 4.56 may be right where I want to go, but curious if I'm paying for gears that's a small jump, maybe 4.88 at least. Eventually Dana 60's would be pretty fantastic but that's some coin for those babies. I'd thought about doing a truss but not sure if I'd ever even need that, or chromoly axle shafts. I don't do anything crazy or serious enough to make those worth it. I good even balance between mild off roading and daily driver with the Dana 44's is where I'm aiming.

Last edited:

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Had a similar situation with my ‘16 but without the pop and it was in 2wd. Wife was driving and stopped on a paved hill. When she started going again, she had the clutch pedal all the way out but it didn’t move so she gunned it [emoji849]. Smell was very strong but didn’t see any smoke. Ended up getting the clutch replaced under warranty being that it only had 1700 miles at the time..... aaaaand that was the last time I let her drive it. I agree that the stock clutch is garbage. Warranty repair wasn’t done right and it started clicking like hell with pedal movement and chattering at idle after the first warranty replacement. They ended up replacing it again, but also did the slave cylinder and throw out bearing the second time. If it goes out again I think I’m going with centerforce.

Top Bottom