CEL + ETC Light + Flashing Sway bar - No start

BigBad408

2017 JKU Rubicon with 4,500 miles. Only other electrical mod has been an apollintech (SPOD knockoff) that has been installed for a few months without issues. I was installing a Genesis Dual Battery kit with Odessey batteries . Installation went smoothly, no issues, other than I dropped the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid, which may or may not be relevant. Finished up, turned the key to on position, everything lit up, you hear the fuel pump kick in and various other gizmos whizzing and whirring. Voltmeter in the Apollo reads 12.8. Turned the key to "start" and nothing. When I turn the key to the on position the ETC Light stays on for three seconds after all the other warning lights, then goes out. The CEL stays on and then proceeds to flash 10 times. The sway bar light flashes continually and does not stop.

I did the key dance, I get the - - - - - - and then "done". No codes. I hooked up my ScanGauge II, it shows no codes. I have checked, re-checked, and re-rechecked all connections and grounds. I have checked fuses and swapped relays. I used the Genesis G screen to join the batteries. I disconnected and reconnected all terminals. Let it sit overnight disconnected. Same result. I completely removed the newly installed dual battery kit and dropped the original battery in the tray. Same result. The only thing that may have changed is I dropped the Vapor Purge Solenoid, from way up high ( I was sitting on the radiator) directly onto the garage floor. If I broke it internally, I can't imagine it would be enough for the computer to say "do not start" and if it were, I am sure I would get a code. I spent last night and a good bit of time today searching various forums. The ETC light seems to lead to many different issues, which is very unnerving. I chased the sway bar light rabbit hole this morning in forums and will investigate that when I get home today. I have ordered a proper OBD II code scanner that will be here tomorrow to see if there are an hidden or pending codes. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. I am at a loss and quite frustrated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No start as in, you turn the key and aside from the lights on your dash coming on, nothing else happens? No crank? Have you tried starting your motor using your other key?

black pearl

Hooked
You most likely won't pull any codes, because the battery was disconnected. It's kind of like a reset. To pull a code you'll need to have the engine running long enough for the computer to run its diagnostics.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to follow up on my question about the 2nd key - I had something like this happen before and it turned out that the FOB in my primary key lost contact with the computer. Using my other key got my engine to start.

BigBad408

I talked to Genesis this morning. During installation you can either pull the fusebox up and out of the way or disconnect. I chose to disconnect because I didn't want to put all that stress on the harness and connectors. Genesis said the connectors on the underside of the fuse box can be incredibly finicky, they've encountered similar symptoms with other installs. I checked that all were in and clamped down, but apparently that doesn't always mean they've connected. Going to disconnect and reconnect all the connectors when I get home from work. Fingers crossed that is all it is. I did try both keys somewhere in between pulling what's left of my hair out and banging my head into the wall late last night.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I talked to Genesis this morning. During installation you can either pull the fusebox up and out of the way or disconnect. I chose to disconnect because I didn't want to put all that stress on the harness and connectors. Genesis said the connectors on the underside of the fuse box can be incredibly finicky, they've encountered similar symptoms with other installs. I checked that all were in and clamped down, but apparently that doesn't always mean they've connected. Going to disconnect and reconnect all the connectors when I get home from work. Fingers crossed that is all it is. I did try both keys somewhere in between pulling what's left of my hair out and banging my head into the wall late last night.

Sucks, hope it’s as simple as that. A lot of times that’s all it is. Post up if it works. The genesis is one of my next upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigBad408

Got home, ignored the dog and the wife and immeadiatley removed the fuse box and re-installed all the connectors very carefully. Made sure they were all inserted fully and seated....nothing. Then I did it again even more slowly and carefully....nothing. I used my AEV pro-cal to turn off the auto sway bar (because that was a light that was flashing) and clear codes. Nothing. I was becoming despondent. I was leaning on the drivers side fender racking my brain going through "what else changed?" when through the jumble of wires I saw the large wiring harness connector that used to sit on top of the battery tray, that re-located to the outside of the Genesis box. I had completely forgotten about it, out of sight out of mind. I got closer and the positive retention clip on it was up just a little. Pressed it down and it became apparent that connector had come loose. Turned key and viola! It started!

I kicked myself for forgetting about relocating that harness but I also had no reason to think something happened to it. That positive retention clip on that connector doesn't seem to "clip" in as positively as it should, so for good measure I ran a skinny zip tie through holes in the male and female end to make sure it stays together. Cleared all the codes and now all is good in the world.

ARB 50qt fridge and Alu-Cab slide will be here next week (whole purpose of the dual battery kit). Can't wait to get out without soggy wet food. Thanks for the quick replies. I posted up on two other forums and basically got crickets. I've lurked here a bit but will be back more often.
IMG_5446.jpg

Top Bottom