Decisions, decisions, decisions...

JethroJK

So I need help. Here is the case.
Stock 12 JKUR
2000 Bucks

What mods should I do?

I have been looking over the forum and there is a lot that can be done but since this is my first Jeep, I am a little overwhelmed. So please give me some recommendations on what to do so I get the best bang for the buck. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't already have them, I would definitely get rocker guards and some kind of tow points front and rear. Doesn't need to be bumpers, just some kind of way to strap you up if needed. Being that you have a 12, I would highly recommend that you get an EVO protek oil pan/tranny skid plate if you have an auto. If you have money left over, I would consider getting a 2.5" budget boost, 1.5" wheel spacers and run a set of 35" tires. All in about that order.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you don't already have them, I would definitely get rocker guards and some kind of tow points front and rear. Doesn't need to be bumpers, just some kind of way to strap you up if needed. Being that you have a 12, I would highly recommend that you get an EVO protek oil pan/tranny skid plate if you have an auto. If you have money left over, I would consider getting a 2.5" budget boost, 1.5" wheel spacers and run a set of 35" tires. All in about that order.

Agreed! Rocker guards are a must.

ichthus

I'll agree with the rocker guards/sliders of some sort. Don't be afraid to go less-expensive bolt on now, with intentions of dream sliders later. I'd HIGHLY recommend bumpers. You can get inexpensive steel bumpers from 4wd.com for less than $500 total, and sell your plastic stock kit on CL for $200...then sell the cheap steel for $300-400 when you learn what you really want to invest in.

So, between selling & buying you might still have $1500 left over, that will get you a quality 2 1/2" lift that won't make your Jeep look goofy while you save up for tires or tires/wheels.

Alternatively, skip the lift, buy skids for the vitals and invest in a rear locker, maybe the Auburn Ected. After install cost for the LSD/Locker, you might have to piecemeal the skids as you have $ for them. Learn to wheel the Jeep like this and spend the next year or so saving for the right lift/treads to be bought at same time. Keep your eyes open for a good deal on a winch or just coupon purchase from Harbor Freight for now

Hellfire

Rock rails are nice to have! I slid into a tree while 4 wheeling last week and it saved my body on the jeep. Its worth every penny.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug

Agreed ... but I would start with the end in mind and how you will use your Jeep. I have bought things 2 and 3 times before I ended up with where I really wanted to go.

Your stock RUBI is quite capable as it sits, so you want to protect it! Sliders (WELD ON!) and Oil Pan Skid Plate (not to much more to upgrade to entire skid plate package) are the first things I would do. From there Eddie is right (as usual) front and rear tow points as getting stock without them would not be fun. I would then wheel your Rubi as it sits, learn what it can do and what it is capable of and most importantly, what you are comfortable doing in it. This will give you time to save your pennies for a lift or wheels and tires and such. AVOID SPENDING GOOD MONEY TWICE!!!

CerOf

I'm a big fan of a winch and front bumper first. Nothing worse than doing something stupid, alone, and stuck.

Aside from Las Cruces wheeling, you'll be able to do most anything where you are in NM.

Either way, get out and enjoy!

JethroJK

I have a manual so would that use the same skid plate? Also your thought process was like mine. The only thing I was considering like others have mentioned is a front bumper and winch. I have tow points and some recovery equipment. I don't think I will end up with a rear bumper with what I want with the end product.

Sliders weld or bolt on? Weld makes sense but shouldn't I put skins on too prior to welding the sliders?

I have about 17k miles on it and have did quite a bit of wheeling on the stock setup and it is very capable but I agree protect the vitals is priority. Rear locker, it has a rear locker or am I missing something?

Great thoughts keep them coming. I really appreciate it.

TrailReady

Caught the Bug
So I need help. Here is the case.
Stock 12 JKUR
2000 Bucks

What mods should I do?

I have been looking over the forum and there is a lot that can be done but since this is my first Jeep, I am a little overwhelmed. So please give me some recommendations on what to do so I get the best bang for the buck. Thanks.

I agree with Eddie, all on my list for the first $2000-3000 I spend. One thing I might add is a set of Trucklite Gen 2's.. Really changes your night driving experience compared to the weak stock headlights. IPF's are not a bad choice either.

JethroJK

Your stock RUBI is quite capable as it sits, so you want to protect it! Sliders (WELD ON!) and Oil Pan Skid Plate (not to much more to upgrade to entire skid plate package) are the first things I would do. From there Eddie is right (as usual) front and rear tow points as getting stock without them would not be fun. I would then wheel your Rubi as it sits, learn what it can do and what it is capable of and most importantly, what you are comfortable doing in it. This will give you time to save your pennies for a lift or wheels and tires and such. AVOID SPENDING GOOD MONEY TWICE!!!

My feelings exactly on spending money twice. How do you like your LOD bumper? Also I have been looking at sliders and there are a few out there I like. ACE and poison spider are a couple. The weld on ACE is more the look I was going for. Your thoughts?

DasBuxxx

My feelings exactly on spending money twice. How do you like your LOD bumper? Also I have been looking at sliders and there are a few out there I like. ACE and poison spider are a couple. The weld on ACE is more the look I was going for. Your thoughts?

I have heard some things about the poison spiders bending up on people, enough to keep their door from opening. I am stashing away for a set of EVO sliders myself

1BAMFR

Im confused.....doesnt his Rubi already have tow points front/rear and rock rails?

All he would need is a lift and tires.

StrizzyChris

Im confused.....doesnt his Rubi already have tow points front/rear and rock rails?

All he would need is a lift and tires.

you are 100% correct. factory tow points, factory front and rear lockers, factory sliders and SOME factory under armor. As previously stated, in the 2012+ models, the transmission skid is lacking compared to the 07-11. Oil pan skid is a big need in all years. Def upgrade and get the oil and tranny skids first and foremost.

The factory sliders are sufficient, and all most people would need from a mild impact coming from below of a rock/stump/etc. BUT If you plan or anticipate the possiblility of dropping the weight of the Jeep hard down on a large rock ANY tub mount slider has the risk of bending into the body and causing damage.

Your stock RUBI is quite capable as it sits, so you want to protect it! Sliders (WELD ON!)

I will say that frame welded(if the welder is skilled and leave quality welds) slider is clearly the best option possible, and will not take up much space on the frame. BUT a high quality bolt on frame mounted slider, such as LOD, will hold up to ANYTHING you can throw at it as well.

Opinions are like ()&$#(%^#($ and Im one of them as well so ill give you mine! Only buy stuff once. Mentioned prior is to buy a cheap bumper until you figure out what you want, sell it, then buy what you want....my :twocents: is that you already have that from the factory and its free! Beat the crap out of that until you can buy an aftermarket bumper that you know exactly what you want. Rugged ridge stubby(or any other "cheap" bumper for that matter) costs about the same price as the EVO 1/4 pounder stubby, but with the quality EVO bumper you get winch plate already built in(saving money), and built in high lift slots for jacking your jeep up. If you want function then you're pretty much set, but if you want a stinger that will just about double the price of the bumper and you can always do that later. Your set on lockers

StrizzyChris

OH....but if your looking at full width bumpers, they get a little more expensive than the mentioned stubby prices. In that case I would still stick with factory until your completely sure what you want!

12CrushJK

The EVO full skid set was the first thing I did to my '12 Rubicon. Had less than 100 miles on it when I did it, damn glad I did.

JethroJK

you are 100% correct. factory tow points, factory front and rear lockers, factory sliders and SOME factory under armor. As previously stated, in the 2012+ models, the transmission skid is lacking compared to the 07-11. Oil pan skid is a big need in all years. Def upgrade and get the oil and tranny skids first and foremost.

The factory sliders are sufficient, and all most people would need from a mild impact coming from below of a rock/stump/etc. BUT If you plan or anticipate the possiblility of dropping the weight of the Jeep hard down on a large rock ANY tub mount slider has the risk of bending into the body and causing damage.

I will say that frame welded(if the welder is skilled and leave quality welds) slider is clearly the best option possible, and will not take up much space on the frame. BUT a high quality bolt on frame mounted slider, such as LOD, will hold up to ANYTHING you can throw at it as well.

Opinions are like ()&$#(%^#($ and Im one of them as well so ill give you mine! Only buy stuff once. Mentioned prior is to buy a cheap bumper until you figure out what you want, sell it, then buy what you want....my :twocents: is that you already have that from the factory and its free! Beat the crap out of that until you can buy an aftermarket bumper that you know exactly what you want. Rugged ridge stubby(or any other "cheap" bumper for that matter) costs about the same price as the EVO 1/4 pounder stubby, but with the quality EVO bumper you get winch plate already built in(saving money), and built in high lift slots for jacking your jeep up. If you want function then you're pretty much set, but if you want a stinger that will just about double the price of the bumper and you can always do that later. Your set on lockers

Appreciate your two cents. I am also a buy once guy, part of the reason I am having a hard time deciding. I am pretty sure I am going to buy the EVO full set skid plates which will cover all the vitals and get rid of the factory stuff. I looked at the LOD sliders but I was thinking I like the weld on ACE sliders but EVO is also very nice. Again choices...

Top Bottom