Cross member damage

The BAD Influence

I hit pretty hard and bent the cross member. It's causing the little forward bracket to hit the exhaust pipe. I assume when I put a new after market front driveline in, I can remove the exhaust spacers and then the exhaust pipe won't touch any longer. My question is, will this damage to the cross member cause any structural damage that to any other system, and should I replace or try to repair the cross member?

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_085822.jpg
    IMG_20180402_085822.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20180402_085812.jpg
    IMG_20180402_085812.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20180402_085759.jpg
    IMG_20180402_085759.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 282

ka-bar

Is that the transmission crossmember? Couldn’t tell from the pics. My trans crossmember is crunched up right now too. No use repairing the OE one, it’s junk. You can pick up a good aftermarket for $200 - 250 depending on if it’s powder coated or bare. EVO has a powder coated option for around $230, I think. That’s the one I’m planning on getting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! No offense but that's far from what I would call "damage". You should see OverlanderJK's cross member :crazyeyes:

attachment.php

jsukey

If it bugs you bad enough that you want to upgrade it, RockHard 4x4 has a really nice upgrade available made from 3/16” steel! I have WAL to thank for it! It’s only $220 and comes powdercoated.
6F9DAB54-E0A2-494A-9A8B-DEB90E86AF0E.jpg
5BBDDAB7-DA08-4C5A-B0FA-B5EAC62B7DA9.jpg

The BAD Influence

If it bugs you bad enough that you want to upgrade it, RockHard 4x4 has a really nice upgrade available made from 3/16” steel! I have WAL to thank for it! It’s only $220 and comes powdercoated.
View attachment 298144
View attachment 298145

Looks really nice, maybe some day. Right now every penny is being saved for the PR44. I really just wanted to know if I was ok to keep running the way it is, with the exhaust hitting it.
I really appreciate this site for the quick and honest information.

jsukey

Looks really nice, maybe some day. Right now every penny is being saved for the PR44. I really just wanted to know if I was ok to keep running the way it is, with the exhaust hitting it.
I really appreciate this site for the quick and honest information.

You’ll be fine running that way with it. You could always put a pry bar on it and massage a little space in there for peace of mind if you wanted...up to you.

The BAD Influence

You’ll be fine running that way with it. You could always put a pry bar on it and massage a little space in there for peace of mind if you wanted...up to you.

I'm not worried about the rattle, which is really only noticable between 2700 and 3000 rpms. The fix is easy, just need a different driveline and then remove the exhaust spacers.
Mostly I was asking for confirmation that the bent cross member wasn't going to cause any damages anywhere else.

tcjku

Right now every penny is being saved for the PR44.

I see you're in Utah. I just swapped my stock crossmember out with an aftermarket one. I'm headed to Eagle Mountain (south of SLC) in a couple of weeks. If you're near there and you want my old (but undamaged) stock one then PM me and we'll figure out how to meet up when I'm in your neck of the woods.

Top Bottom