Gear to Tire ratio

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Ok, I just ordered new ATX Slab Beadlocks from discount tire and 5 new Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s that are 35x12.5r17. My question is I am also ordering a new Dynatrac Prorock 44 Ultimate Axle fully built. I am doing Reid Knuckles, ARB air locker, Prosteer ball joints, ten factor chromoly axle shafts.

My question is what gear ratio should I go with? I will eventually get 37's and probably never go any bigger then a 38. So, should I go with the 4.88 or 5.13? Will the 35's be Ok with 5.13, until eventually I buy new tires in a year or so.

One last question will a 38 be fine on a prorock 44?

Oh, and yes I am having the rear-end re-geared also to match with an ARB air-locker.

Thanks for all the input.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I would stick with 37's if only because they're a common size, will be easier to find lots of options in, typically cost less and really, the difference isn't all that much. That being said, 5.13 is what I would go with especially if you've got an automatic. You'll run on the high side of your RPM's with 35's but it won't be too bad.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Personally, I would stick with 37's if only because they're a common size, will be easier to find lots of options in, typically cost less and really, the difference isn't all that much. That being said, 5.13 is what I would go with especially if you've got an automatic. You'll run on the high side of your RPM's with 35's but it won't be too bad.

Thank you as always Eddie, 5.13s is the way I was leaning. Also, I will stick with 37's eventually. Also, mine is an automatic.

I also just ordered the Corbeau Baja RS seats and brackets. They are custom making them for me, with blue centers to match my Jeep.

Last edited:

14JK-U

Thank you as always Eddie, 5.13s is the way I was leaning. Also, I will stick with 37's eventually. Also, mine is an automatic.

I also just ordered the Corbeau Baja RS seats and brackets. They are custom making them for me, with blue centers to match my Jeep.

about the Corbeau Seats, I started a thread yesterday and a member here reminded me about the seat sensor. I actually just got off the phone with corbeau about 2 minutes ago and thought i'd pass on the knowledge. if you change out your seats with any corbeau made one it will not have a provision to mount your seat sensor so your airbag light will always be on and can in turn affect the operability of the airbag. of course this is only pertinent if your stock seats have airbags. i'm not sure what wires if any are under your seats if yours doesn't currently have an airbag. also I asked if they know of a way to turn off that light and make the function operable but wasn't successful in getting an answer other than "check forums, there are ways but we haven't tested them".

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I don't have airbags in my seats, but thank you for letting me know in case. I am glad I do not have that option.

E2do7

Ok, I just ordered new ATX Slab Beadlocks from discount tire and 5 new Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s that are 35x12.5r17. My question is I am also ordering a new Dynatrac Prorock 44 Ultimate Axle fully built. I am doing Reid Knuckles, ARB air locker, Prosteer ball joints, ten factor chromoly axle shafts.

My question is what gear ratio should I go with? I will eventually get 37's and probably never go any bigger then a 38. So, should I go with the 4.88 or 5.13? Will the 35's be Ok with 5.13, until eventually I buy new tires in a year or so.

One last question will a 38 be fine on a prorock 44?

Oh, and yes I am having the rear-end re-geared also to match with an ARB air-locker.

Thanks for all the input.
If you're eventually stepping to 37s. 5.13.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom