Johny Joints vs Clevite vs Duroflex

rubiconrunner

What’s going on WAYALIFERS. Need some input or guidance as to where I should go

Yea, the rig is on 40s but it will still haul groceries and run around town. It’s not a daily but will be driven to the trails (long drives to get out of the FL swamp) , until my pockets say it’s ok to get a trailer.

I’m upgrading to a LA kit and have some options in mind. EVO La kit, Teraflex Alpine and metalcloak Duroflex. And considering rock krawler.

This will be paired with either Plush 4” coils or MC dual rates. King adjustable shocks are the shock of choice....

A little help here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I personally wouldn't run anything but arms with JJ's. I ran the RK mid arm kit and compared the RK joints to the JJ's and there really isn't much of a comparison. The JJ's are beasts.

Clevite? Are you referring to Clayton? I looked at them before doing my LA kit but went to EVO because I don't care for the radius arm setup they and others run. You're effectively eliminating two arms by going from a true 4 arm setup to a radius arm version. If you break an end or arm on this style setup out somewhere you're screwed. Do the same with the four arm setup you can still make it home on 3. :twocents:

Edit: Something else I would highly recommend is installing arms that are adjustable while still mounted on the vehicle. I've had both styles and won't bother with the versions that have to be dismounted. Eff that.

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
EVO long arm all day. Johnny joints are stupid beefy, and being able to adjust the arms while they are still on the Jeep is really nice. Teraflex shouldn’t even be an option... ever.

WhiteMetal

Well I had the metal cloak 3.5 game changer six pack on my 2012 and for the first month or 2 I thought they were golden then nothing but problems ( as in they kept coming apart and out of control arm end) and when I rolled that jeep backwards on the the hood 2 of the 4 rear arms snapped haha and it was a slow motion roll.

I now have the double d pro long arm from evo and yeah only problem I’ve had was my own fault for not never seizing the bolts where the jj joint sits and 2 bolts seized but rather then that it’s been 2 yrs on it and that’s the only problem so far.

WJCO

Meme King
What’s going on WAYALIFERS. Need some input or guidance as to where I should go

Yea, the rig is on 40s but it will still haul groceries and run around town. It’s not a daily but will be driven to the trails (long drives to get out of the FL swamp) , until my pockets say it’s ok to get a trailer.

I’m upgrading to a LA kit and have some options in mind. EVO La kit, Teraflex Alpine and metalcloak Duroflex. And considering rock krawler.

This will be paired with either Plush 4” coils or MC dual rates. King adjustable shocks are the shock of choice....

A little help here.

This thread has some good comparison info: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/45579-What-is-a-Currie-Johnny-Joint#post_889743

Currie Johnny joints are huge, rebuildable, and have been around a long time. Go with them.

Andy5160

Hooked
I personally wouldn't run anything but arms with JJ's. I ran the RK mid arm kit and compared the RK joints to the JJ's and there really isn't much of a comparison. The JJ's are beasts.

Clevite? Are you referring to Clayton? I looked at them before doing my LA kit but went to EVO because I don't care for the radius arm setup they and others run. You're effectively eliminating two arms by going from a true 4 arm setup to a radius arm version. If you break an end or arm on this style setup out somewhere you're screwed. Do the same with the four arm setup you can still make it home on 3. :twocents:

Edit: Something else I would highly recommend is installing arms that are adjustable while still mounted on the vehicle. I've had both styles and won't bother with the versions that have to be dismounted. Eff that.

Do I know you [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]
Someone knows his long arm [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I-Eat-Mud

I went some big steel heim joints from artec, and I wish I did Johnny joints. You really can’t go wrong. I have to spray my joints with white lithium grease like every couple weeks or they squeak like crazy.

I do have metalcloak arms in the front. I do like them so far, I really have no complaints.

I also have metalcloak springs in the front. They aren’t a true dual rate, but they do have a nice ride imo. They are soft, but not so soft that there is a lot of body roll. I went with the metalcloak springs, because I needed springs that would be less likely to unseat, and they did solve that problem for me.

When I do my front stretch down the line, I will be building my control arms with Johnny joints for what it’s worth. You probably won’t find a negative review on Johnny joints like EVO uses.

rubiconrunner

Good info. Lookin like the JJ for me. Not 100% sure but I thought I had read somewhere that the johny joint gives a harsh ride?.... but no one here has mentioned that.

Also may end with the metal cloak springs for the sake of not wanting to unseat the coil. Thanks for all the good info...

Ddays

Hooked
Good info. Lookin like the JJ for me. Not 100% sure but I thought I had read somewhere that the johny joint gives a harsh ride?.... but no one here has mentioned that.

Also may end with the metal cloak springs for the sake of not wanting to unseat the coil. Thanks for all the good info...

Harsh ride? Nope, can't say the ride is harsh at all. Squeaky if you don't keep them greased up? Yes they can be. But most aftermarket joints will be that way if not lubed regularly.

rubiconrunner

Harsh ride? Nope, can't say the ride is harsh at all. Squeaky if you don't keep them greased up? Yes they can be. But most aftermarket joints will be that way if not lubed regularly.

That’s anything for that matter, If not lubed regularly, it can get squeaky and not perform well........................................................

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The body of your JK is sitting on body mounts that are isolators and NOT rubber pucks like the TJ before. You can run rod ends or uniballs on your control arms and you still won't feel much of a difference. Much of what you "read" on the internet comes from guys who've "read" BS from other guys who regurgitate what they've read from other guys on the internet.

If you run the proper length shocks for the amount of lift you have, your coils will not unseat.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
The body of your JK is sitting on body mounts that are isolators and NOT rubber pucks like the TJ before. You can run rod ends or uniballs on your control arms and you still won't feel much of a difference. Much of what you "read" on the internet comes from guys who've "read" BS from other guys who regurgitate what they've read from other guys on the internet.

If you run the proper length shocks for the amount of lift you have, your coils will not unseat.

Kinda sounds like flies on poop...

rubiconrunner

Love you, this doesn’t sound like you read it off of another forum and shared it here, but from ACTUAL experience.. hence why I bring myself here.

Thanks for all the good info

Top Bottom