Superchips Trail dash / Trail Jammer TDX

rizzicon

https://www.superchips.com/Store/ta...aspx?product=Jeep_JK_Trail_Jammer_TDX_(07-10)
I am wondering if anyone has this system and what they think of it? I am going to purchase the Trail Dash programer. I am thinking of Getting the Trail Jammer kit. I am not a big fan of cold air intakes on Jeeps. But if it will add even more power why not?:thinking: I have an 08 JKU Rubicon with 35" tires and use the AEV Procal. I will be buying 36"or 37" this spring and would like to gain some power back. With out any major modification. The Trail Dash is plug and play and I like the programming and monitoring options.
Should I get the programmer and skip the intake kit ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've installed the Trail Dash on my 07 and it worked well. The only thing I really wish it had was some kind of GPS system built into it.

rizzicon

Thanks for your response. Yeah that would be handy. I wouldn't think adding a GPS wouldn't have been too hard. Do you think the intake is worth the investment? I run in a fair bit of mud, not deep water. I know the intake is not a snorkel. But can it take a splash of water? Do I have to be careful of water with the intake option?

Last edited:

TheDuff

I've installed the Trail Dash on my 07 and it worked well. The only thing I really wish it had was some kind of GPS system built into it.

I agree, they could have easily added a simple GPS and made a great product awesome. After riding with ttfhell at tds I'm now looking into cheap GPS options for trail use and came across this: http://www.tigergps.com/badelfgps.h...fgps.html?productid=badelfgps&channelid=PGRAB

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hack12

You guys think the Trail Dash would be a waste on a non-Rubi?

Seems to me like many of it's coolest functions (lockers, e-sway bar, etc.) control Rubicon features. I would love to have a heads up unit like this to monitor parameters and change settings on the fly, I'm just worried I may be wasting my money by not having a Rubi.

That back up cam option is pretty sweet though! Between my overhead console and safari straps, I have virtually zero visibility out my rear window. I look like Ace Ventura when backing up.

Last edited:

rizzicon

I wouldn't know. But I am sure you could use all the service monitoring options, fuel and power gains that it offers.

TheDuff

You guys think the Trail Dash would be a waste on a non-Rubi?

Seems to me like many of it's coolest functions (lockers, e-sway bar, etc.) control Rubicon features. I would love to have a heads up unit like this to monitor parameters and change settings on the fly, I'm just worried I may be wasting my money by not having a Rubi.

That back up cam option is pretty sweet though! Between my overhead console and safari straps, I have virtually zero visibility out my rear window. I look like Ace Ventura when backing up.

I don't think its a waste. Monitoring all the sensors is mainly why I purchased mine. Calibration for gearing and tire size is useful to every trim level, as is tpms disable, shift points for autos, and the different engine tunes. It has a bunch of other cool little trinkets as well: an inclinometer, maintenance scheduler, stats tracking, read/clear codes, setup warning parameters for any sensor, and probably a lot more stuff that didn't come to mind. The Rubi spefic items are just sway bar and locker related and a very minimal part of the package. It doesn't seem cheap, but for what it is I think its a great deal and aside for wishing it had a GPS built in, I have no complaints.

Hack12

I don't think its a waste. Monitoring all the sensors is mainly why I purchased mine. Calibration for gearing and tire size is useful to every trim level, as is tpms disable, shift points for autos, and the different engine tunes. It has a bunch of other cool little trinkets as well: an inclinometer, maintenance scheduler, stats tracking, read/clear codes, setup warning parameters for any sensor, and probably a lot more stuff that didn't come to mind. The Rubi spefic items are just sway bar and locker related and a very minimal part of the package. It doesn't seem cheap, but for what it is I think its a great deal and aside for wishing it had a GPS built in, I have no complaints.

Awesome! Seems like it would definitely still be a worthwhile investment. Thanks!

rizzicon

Right on The Duff. I have been wanting to hear from somebody with one. Sounds like you like it. I think I will be picking one up next month. :beer:

Bigfoot

I have the Trail Jammer TDX. I have purchased it because of the following reasons:

• hoping for better mpg
  • hoping for better performance
  • interested in monitoring
  • need to adjust the speedometer to bigger tires
With the included aFe Power Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Si PRO 5R Intake System I have been able to improve my gas mileage by about 1 MPG. As an appreciated side effect the air intake gives the engine a deep roar at full throttle and a nice turbo-like whistle at about 25% throttle. :thumb:

I have loaded the 87 octane performance level but can't tell if the performance or gas mileage have further improved. There is also a MileageXS level which is supposed to improve gas mileage but this program fails to load. :thinking:

I love the monitoring features and the dash pod which allows you to mount the Trail Dash on top of the center console above the radio. I could take some photos of the installed air intake and Trail Dash if you are interested. Overall the installation of both the Trail Dash and the air intake was very easy, only the air temperature sensor was pretty hard to remove from the factory intake and it was also tricky to put it into the new one. I got it done though.

Last edited:

rizzicon

Sounds like you use a lot of the functions on the Trail dash system. Yeah I would like to see some pictures of the install. I already decided that I want this programmer. i am going to pick one up next month.

rizzicon

That looks great. I am going to get the Superchips intake and programer kit. But I think it looks similar to that one. Did you have to buy any other wires to monitor the transmission temp? do does it do that once its plugged in?

Bigfoot

I have purchased the Jeep Trail Jammer TDX. This kit includes:

I have a manual transmission and I can't read the transmission temperature. On my photos you can see the ambient air temperature (AAT) and the intake air temperature (IAT). The only other temperature I could read is the engine coolant temperature. I don't know if I can monitor the temperature of a manual transmission. It didn't look like I would be able to chose that temperature to be monitored. However maybe an EAS temperature sensor needs to be installed before I can select to read the transmission temperature. :thinking:

I didn't have to buy any additional cables. Everything installed and worked out of the box. If you don't like the Dash Pod you could also use the suction cup mount for the windshield which comes with the Trail Dash in this kit.

bl17z90

Not to highjack but does the trial dash do a better job of reconfiguring your jeep for 35's than the aev procal?

I saw another post where a guy had the procal and got 35's and his jeep drove horrible. I want to make sure my 2010 automatic will still be a functional dd with 35's.

you should be fine with a procal. if his jeep drove badly, then i would guess he did something wrong as far as his settings. all the procal really does is set your jeep back to drive as close as factory as far as your speedo, mpg, gear ratio, etc... if all you are doing is 35s, a procal is all you really need.

andrew -

bl17z90

I don't have the procal I have the Superchips Trail Dash. Actually won it in a givaway they did last October. Guy called me to say that I had won and I :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom