Axle seal leak

rogerk93

I got me teraflex 60s about a year ago and been pretty satisfied with them but about 6 months ago I noticed my rear driver side axle seal leaking a little. It wasn’t much so I ignored it but now it is leaking pretty bad where you see it dripping from the dust shield. I don’t think it is normal for the seal to go after the axle being 6 months old especially since for the past 4 months I bought a beater so my Jeep isn’t even my daily anymore. Any pointers on replacing the bearing and seal?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Try teraflex customer support and see what they say. :thumb:

Are you on full float or semi float?

Last edited:

rogerk93

Try teraflex customer support and see what they say. :thumb:

Are you on full float or semi float?

Semi float, I spoke with two different people from teraflex the first guy didn’t have an answer to why. He tried to say I could of damaged the seal if I removed the shaft at one point but I told him I have not and his response was just the part number. The second guy tried to play it off and say it’s a Jeep thing my Jeep is just marking its territory. But after going back and forth he said he will be sending me out a new seal but I haven’t heard back from him yet.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm no expert on 60's (someone else will come along and chime in), but on semi float axles, usually the seal is inside a pressed on bearing and "wedding ring" so you're talking shop time if you don't have special tools and a bearing press. Here's the D44 axle seal on a semi float. They might send you a free seal, but buying a bearing and wedding ring plus labor is going to hurt.

View attachment 307894

rogerk93

I'm no expert on 60's (someone else will come along and chime in), but on semi float axles, usually the seal is inside a pressed on bearing and "wedding ring" so you're talking shop time if you don't have special tools and a bearing press. Here's the D44 axle seal on a semi float. They might send you a free seal, but buying a bearing and wedding ring plus labor is going to hurt.

View attachment 307894

I really hope it’s not pressed on the axle shaft, i can’t find really any pics online to see if it is pressed with my setup. But I have seen some where it is pressed on the end of the axle tube and that would make life so much easier for me. Once I get the parts I’ll remove the shaft and see if I should cry or not. Lol

zimm

Caught the Bug
Good luck. When I finally get the funds together someday I'm going with dynatrac XD60's or the 60/80 combo. It's gonna hurt to ditch my 5 lug beadlocks for 8 lugs, but I hate semi floats. So awesome to have unlockable hubs front and rear.

rogerk93

Good luck. When I finally get the funds together someday I'm going with dynatrac XD60's or the 60/80 combo. It's gonna hurt to ditch my 5 lug beadlocks for 8 lugs, but I hate semi floats. So awesome to have unlockable hubs front and rear.

If I can go back I would of bit the bullet and spent the extra money on full floats. Kind of hate myself now for going the semi float route all because I didn’t want to buy new wheels and I ended up buying beadlocks anyways.

rogerk93

So after I got the part to replace the seal and bearing, I grab my tools, a ice cold beer and start taking things apart but as fast as I started is as fast as I run into a problem. One of The studs on the bearing retainer plate just spins freely, no resistance nothing just spins. I never took it off before so I know I didn’t mess anything up. I have to tack weld the stud in place in order to get it to stay in place. Easy right, but unfortunately I do not have a stick welder to get in the tight space for me to tack it. I have to wait for a buddy to get home so we can use his and it started down pouring so I am just enjoying me beer staring at the stupid stud.

rogerk93

So was able to tack weld it and take the shaft out but another speed bump is that the seal and bearing is pressed on the shaft so I have to take it to a machine shop Monday was hoping it was in the tube and not the shaft

rogerk93

After sitting and thinking how can I press the seal and bearing while waiting I went to Home Depot came up with this high tech device and beat the thing till it went into place IMG_5498.jpg and I was able to finish the job. Feeling proud

Last edited:

rogerk93

So I’m going through a little problem. I changed the seal and bearing with two new sets since I originally posted and the seal is still leaking and it has gotten worse. Any ideas on what the hell is going on? Image1535572233.680151.jpg

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
So I’m going through a little problem. I changed the seal and bearing with two new sets since I originally posted and the seal is still leaking and it has gotten worse. Any ideas on what the hell is going on? View attachment 309436

That’s a good leak too.. how do the surfaces that the seal touches look? Any gouges, scratches or such?

Top Bottom