Axle seal leak

rogerk93

zimm

Caught the Bug
TERAFLEX! :rock:

Sorry I couldn't help myself. I do sincerely hope you get it fixed and let us know the outcome. :beer:

rogerk93

So I ended up ordering a new axle shaft to solve my leak. After measuring run out the axle is actually bent so slightly it is hard to see. I couldn’t even tell with the wheel on the axle but once taken off and measured it is actually off and teraflex says that is causing the leak. Hopefully this solves my stupid problem

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
So I ended up ordering a new axle shaft to solve my leak. After measuring run out the axle is actually bent so slightly it is hard to see. I couldn’t even tell with the wheel on the axle but once taken off and measured it is actually off and teraflex says that is causing the leak. Hopefully this solves my stupid problem

Is the axle shaft bent or is the flange bent? If it's the flange (which I'm willing to bet is the case) how would that cause the seal to leak? I've bent two flanges on my 60 and the seals never leaked before or after replacing them. :idontknow:

rogerk93

Is the axle shaft bent or is the flange bent? If it's the flange (which I'm willing to bet is the case) how would that cause the seal to leak? I've bent two flanges on my 60 and the seals never leaked before or after replacing them. :idontknow:

It’s bent at the flange and the shaft itself is bent. But the shaft is bent so little you can’t even see it by eye. I still don’t think the leak has anything to do with it but the guy who I have been dealing with is convinced it is the cause of the leak so I ordered a new shaft for a discounted price. Before I ordered the shaft I asked what if it still ends up leaking and he said if it still leakes then he will have to consider that there is a problem with the axle itself.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
^^thats what I was wondering too. I have a bent flange on my Dynatrac 35 splines enough to see the brake caliper move side to side while spinning, (I haven't checked actual runout) but it doesn't leak. I have caused leaks by driving too hard (thinking axle deflection) but once I replace the seal I'm usually fine.

rogerk93

^^thats what I was wondering too. I have a bent flange on my Dynatrac 35 splines enough to see the brake caliper move side to side while spinning, (I haven't checked actual runout) but it doesn't leak. I have caused leaks by driving too hard (thinking axle deflection) but once I replace the seal I'm usually fine.

While I was checking the runout I was looking at the seal to see maybe it was causing the seal to move or it was ripping it up and nothing at all, the seal is still brand new nothing is wrong with it.

Ddays

Hooked
It’s bent at the flange and the shaft itself is bent. But the shaft is bent so little you can’t even see it by eye. I still don’t think the leak has anything to do with it but the guy who I have been dealing with is convinced it is the cause of the leak so I ordered a new shaft for a discounted price. Before I ordered the shaft I asked what if it still ends up leaking and he said if it still leakes then he will have to consider that there is a problem with the axle itself.

Man, I hate to be the bearer of bad news Roger but running 40's on a SF axle is gonna be a frequent axle bender. I had a lengthy conversation with the sales manager out at Dynatrac a couple years ago regarding this subject and told me the same thing even though I'm running 37's. How he explained it was these JK's are getting pretty porky and when we start adding all of the goodies the curb weights are approaching full size pickup territory. I weighed mine at a CAT scale this Spring and Its at 6000# with me in it and all the shit I carry. :crazyeyes: For comparison, base curb weight on our F250 SD Crew Cab is 6400#! I carry a spare axle with me any time I go wheeling.

Last edited:

rogerk93

Man, I hate to be the bearer of bad news Roger but running 40's on a SF axle is gonna be a frequent axle bender. I had a lengthy conversation with the sales manager out at Dynatrac a couple years ago regarding this subject and told me the same thing even though I'm running 37's. How he explained it was these JK's are getting pretty porky and when we start adding all of the goodies the curb weights are approaching full size pickup territory. I weighed mine at a CAT scale this Spring and Its at 6000# with me in it and all the shit I carry. :crazyeyes: For comparison, base curb weight on our F250 SD Crew Cab is 3400#! I carry a spare axle with me any time I go wheeling.

Yea now I know that [emoji30], when I ordered my axles I was told that it would be enough. Teraflex makes a full float conversion for my axles but it is a little expensive plus I would have to buy new wheels and I just got my beadlocks. I would have to hold off for a little till I can sell my wheels and have the extra money to spare.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Wow. Not sure who is more stupid, you or the guy you are taking your jeep to.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Wow, how did you manage that?

Got the telltale squeaking after a high speed desert romp where I might have hit a few bumps faster than I should have. Had a few pretty jarring hits that day actually. I try to keep in mind now that Speed causes more damage than obstacles. I have always had a problem going slow though.

Top Bottom