Rear shocks coming unseated

mattfl

So I was under my Jeep yesterday and happened to notice that both of my rear shocks had come unseated from the upper area.

I haven't done any offroading recently and basically just drive around town.

I'm running the Evo Spec King shocks, 3" plush ride springs, stock D44 axle, Evo rear track bar bracket with stock track bar, and 37" STT Pros.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

edit: damnit, my coils not shocks...i'm an idiot and haven't had enough coffee yet

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So I was under my Jeep yesterday and happened to notice that both of my rear shocks had come unseated from the upper area.

I haven't done any offroading recently and basically just drive around town.

I'm running the Evo Spec King shocks, 3" plush ride springs, stock D44 axle, Evo rear track bar bracket with stock track bar, and 37" STT Pros.

Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

Your shocks are too long allowing the axle to drop to a point where there isn’t enough force to keep the springs seated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Those are coils, not shocks. Your shocks can’t come unseated. ;) Seems weird that you bounced them off like that.

mattfl

Those are coils, not shocks. Your shocks can’t come unseated. ;) Seems weird that you bounced them off like that.

damnit, not enough coffee yet this morning.

Ya it is weird especially since I've done no offroading lately.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it looks like your shocks may be too long. If you had your Jeep racked up for any reason recently, that could have caused them to unseat.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
damnit, not enough coffee yet this morning.

Ya it is weird especially since I've done no offroading lately.

Raise the rear of the Jeep until your tires are off the ground. You should be able to pop the springs back into position. This will also confirm your shocks are too long.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mattfl

As mentioned, it looks like your shocks may be too long. If you had your Jeep racked up for any reason recently, that could have caused them to unseat.

So thinking about having work done again I completely forgot I had the Jeep at the dealership 2 months ago so they could replace the axle seal in my front axle.

So they had it up on their lift and i bet the springs came unseated then.

Would the best/easiest fix be to goto longer coils? Go up to the 4" plush rides?

J

JKDream

So thinking about having work done again I completely forgot I had the Jeep at the dealership 2 months ago so they could replace the axle seal in my front axle.

So they had it up on their lift and i bet the springs came unseated then.

Would the best/easiest fix be to goto longer coils? Go up to the 4" plush rides?

Just install limiting straps. No need to go higher unless you have other reasons for it.

jesse3638

Hooked
How long have you had the Rockstars installed. This is what I fear will happen when I install the EVO Rockstars with my 3" springs. The Kings I have are the same length as my old 5100's so as it sits now it's fine. I do have 4" plush rides I will most likely install with them which should keep everything in place.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
How long have you had the Rockstars installed. This is what I fear will happen when I install the EVO Rockstars with my 3" springs. The Kings I have are the same length as my old 5100's so as it sits now it's fine. I do have 4" plush rides I will most likely install with them which should keep everything in place.

Does he have Rockstars? I didn't see that mentioned but you are absolutely correct - ^^ this is what happened to me. I ran those spacers with the retainers for a while but I ended up going to a set of Currie 4"+1 coils in the rear.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce-9132r1p

They're a 4" spring but are an inch taller. I've had no unseating issues after installing them. I did get a little bit of rake back as I'm running 3.5" springs in the front but it's not too bad.

jesse3638

Hooked
Does he have Rockstars? I didn't see that mentioned but you are absolutely correct - ^^ this is what happened to me. I ran those spacers with the retainers for a while but I ended up going to a set of Currie 4"+1 coils in the rear.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce-9132r1p

They're a 4" spring but are an inch taller. I've had no unseating issues after installing them. I did get a little bit of rake back as I'm running 3.5" springs in the front but it's not too bad.
Yeah I have a set of 4" plush rides I intend on installing once I install the Rockstars. Should be good to go. Just hoping I'm not going to have to add any bumpstop. Although I may have to when I finally get 37's if there is any rubbing.

mattfl

The Rockstars are most likely adding to the issue. They are just recently installed, maybe 6 months ago, right before our last big wheeling trip.

BaddestCross

Yep. The Rockstars give you an extra 1.5" of droop. You'll need to do like others here already stated and go with longer springs or spacers. Limiting straps would negate the benefits of the Rockstars, so that's a bad idea.

Also, if you didn't measure the shocks before installing the Rockstars, make sure your bump stops are set properly so you're not bottoming out your shocks. It doesn't look like you have much shaft showing from the photos you posted... You may actually need shorter shocks if that's the case.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

mattfl

Yep. The Rockstars give you an extra 1.5" of droop. You'll need to do like others here already stated and go with longer springs or spacers. Limiting straps would negate the benefits of the Rockstars, so that's a bad idea.

Also, if you didn't measure the shocks before installing the Rockstars, make sure your bump stops are set properly so you're not bottoming out your shocks. It doesn't look like you have much shaft showing from the photos you posted... You may actually need shorter shocks if that's the case.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fuck it, i'll just order the 4" plush rides.

BaddestCross

fuck it, i'll just order the 4" plush rides.
Lol. Still measure the amount of shaft you have exposed once you've come to a decision and installed whatever. Compare that measurement to the gap of your bump stop - the metal tower that it plugs into, not the factory jounce pad) - and the extension on your axle. If the gap is bigger than the shaft (cue the sexual comments 😎), you'll need shorter shocks or more bump stop.

--

J

JKDream

No it doesn't. Rockstars are meant to increase ground clearance. The increase in shock travel is only a benefit if you can actually make use of it. There's nothing wrong with limiting straps, especially if he has no other reason to add more lift.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom