PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Who Eats a Gyro with Mayo?

wayoflife
10-02-2018, 11:54 PM
Just because we can, Cindy and I packed up our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited on a random Thursday morning and headed out to explore the infinitely vast, Northern Nevada desert. On this particular expedition, we decided to go looking for a secret destination that we'd heard about years ago and think we may have finally found. Along the way, we came across other unexpected things as well but of course, they're what make an adventure like this, so much fun. I know this episode of the JL JOURNAL is a bit of a departure from what a lot of you are used to seeing but in reality, it is what we love to do most and we hope you enjoy it just the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1PT9RZ1Iw&feature=youtu.be

:cool:

TrainWreck618
10-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Great video! Really cool you were able to find that place, hunting for fossils seems like a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 12:13 AM
Great video! Really cool you were able to find that place, hunting for fossils seems like a great day.

Thanks. I know it isn't rock crawling but things like this is what Cindy and I love doing most. :yup:

elgordomucho
10-03-2018, 12:30 AM
Why would you even option mayo on a gyro? That sounds horrible

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 12:31 AM
Why would you even option mayo on a gyro? That sounds horrible

Right?!! :cheesy:
That's why we left :crazyeyes:

WJCO
10-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Love this kind of stuff. Grew up doing this stuff. Great coverage :thumb:

elgordomucho
10-03-2018, 12:35 AM
Right?!! :cheesy:
That's why we left :crazyeyes:

Dude Iím not gonna lie when I heard that, Jessie I would have taken down their menu board

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 12:39 AM
Love this kind of stuff. Grew up doing this stuff. Great coverage :thumb:

So glad to hear there are others out there who can enjoy stuff like this :cool:

Dude Iím not gonna lie when I heard that, Jessie I would have taken down their menu board

:cheesy: Too funny.

drrags
10-03-2018, 01:49 AM
Your vids are some of the very few I watch from beginning to end. And usually leaving me wanting more. Thanks.

BaddestCross
10-03-2018, 02:07 AM
Nice detective work! 🍻

Did you take any home or is this land you have to leave everything behind?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Rocralr
10-03-2018, 02:28 AM
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

jeeeep
10-03-2018, 02:39 AM
very cool!

There are several areas along the Utah Nevada border that have that type of rock and various fossils.

When my daughter was younger we'd go fossil hunting. I still have various fossils that she worked hard to break open and just had to come home with us :thumb:

gyro with mayo...hmmm.....nahhhh

If you had eaten it, I bet you wouldn't have been fossil hunting for very long :icon_crazy:

OverlanderJK
10-03-2018, 02:39 AM
That looks fun! Cool video!

longarmwj
10-03-2018, 02:47 AM
Pretty sure if you had ordered a Gyro with mayo, Zeus would have zapped you into oblivion

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 02:52 AM
Your vids are some of the very few I watch from beginning to end. And usually leaving me wanting more. Thanks.

We're truly flattered that you'd say as much, thank you. :cool:

Nice detective work! 🍻

Did you take any home or is this land you have to leave everything behind?

This is all BLM land and collecting is totally legal. If anything, there are people who come out to this place with heavy equipment to dig for fossils and that kinda pisses me off.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

So glad you enjoyed it :)

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 02:54 AM
very cool!

There are several areas along the Utah Nevada border that have that type of rock and various fossils.

When my daughter was younger we'd go fossil hunting. I still have various fossils that she worked hard to break open and just had to come home with us :thumb:

gyro with mayo...hmmm.....nahhhh

If you had eaten it, I bet you wouldn't have been fossil hunting for very long :icon_crazy:

:cheesy: Kinda what I was thinking.
There are lots of fossil sites out in this area but the best ones are kept secret. :yup:

That looks fun! Cool video!

Great way to spend a day for sure. Glad you liked the video :)

Pretty sure if you had ordered a Gyro with mayo, Zeus would have zapped you into oblivion

:cheesy: :cheesy:

Tanktitan
10-03-2018, 02:55 AM
Thanks. I know it isn't rock crawling but things like this is what Cindy and I love doing most. :yup:

Another great video. I am with you on using your Jeep as a freedom machine - on road to get there and off road to find it.

Andy5160
10-03-2018, 03:09 AM
Great video[emoji106][emoji106] thank you for sharing and I really like how the drone is used in creating the videos.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 03:13 AM
Another great video. I am with you on using your Jeep as a freedom machine - on road to get there and off road to find it.

Indeed! :thumb:

Great video[emoji106][emoji106] thank you for sharing and I really like how the drone is used in creating the videos.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the video and that you're liking the addition of the drone shots. :cool:

BaddestCross
10-03-2018, 03:23 AM
This is all BLM land and collecting is totally legal. If anything, there are people who come out to this place with heavy equipment to dig for fossils and that kinda pisses me off.

Now that's over the top. It's awesome that the BLM allows collecting, but that people would take advantage and risk ruining it for the rest of us is just bullshit. 😡

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter
10-03-2018, 03:49 AM
It would have been epic if you hit that Rock....and found Gyro Sauce in it.

19YJ94
10-03-2018, 04:14 AM
Great video, interesting finds you collected. Always enjoy looking for things from the past.

Bear_JKU
10-03-2018, 04:55 AM
Awesome video as always! Those were some pretty cool finds too.

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Now that's over the top. It's awesome that the BLM allows collecting, but that people would take advantage and risk ruining it for the rest of us is just bullshit. 😡

Yup, total bullshit. When we were there, you could could see fresh tracks left behind from a backhoe. People go into a place like this to mine the fossils and then sell them. It's shit like this that got everyone clamming up about the location.

It would have been epic if you hit that Rock....and found Gyro Sauce in it.

:cheesy: That would have made the day :crazyeyes:

Great video, interesting finds you collected. Always enjoy looking for things from the past.

Thanks and yes, it's always a ton of fun finding things from the past.

Awesome video as always! Those were some pretty cool finds too.

Glad you liked the video and yes, the fossil finds were very cool :yup:

KICKROX
10-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Been out of pocket for a few weeks, good to come back to a video like this. Looks fun.

Linebacker
10-03-2018, 02:50 PM
If anyone ever asks me what we need a Jeep for I'm sending a link to this vid. Loved it. :thumb::thumb: and a snap!

Ddays
10-03-2018, 03:17 PM
Cool video as usual! LOL, the mayo scene was hilarious. Here in the Pittsburgh we put goddam french fries on or in EVERYTHING. Yes, even IN our gyros.
Here's a menu from a Gyro joint by my office. First time I ordered from there I was spitting it out because I missed it on the menu and, well, what the hell is up with
french fries in a Gyro!? :thinking: They hid them in the bottom of the pita so I didn't even see them. Too weird.

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Been out of pocket for a few weeks, good to come back to a video like this. Looks fun.

Long time no see! Hope you've been well. :cool:

If anyone ever asks me what we need a Jeep for I'm sending a link to this vid. Loved it. :thumb::thumb: and a snap!

LOL!! Awesome, glad to hear you liked it :)

Cool video as usual! LOL, the mayo scene was hilarious. Here in the Pittsburgh we put goddam french fries on or in EVERYTHING. Yes, even IN our gyros.
Here's a menu from a Gyro joint by my office. First time I ordered from there I was spitting it out because I missed it on the menu and, well, what the hell is up with
french fries in a Gyro!? :thinking: They hid them in the bottom of the pita so I didn't even see them. Too weird.

:icon_crazy: Bleh! French fries... really?? :crazyeyes:

Ddays
10-03-2018, 05:05 PM
:icon_crazy: Bleh! French fries... really?? :crazyeyes:

Yes, really :crazyeyes:

RanchoRubi
10-03-2018, 05:11 PM
Really nice exploring trip, guys! I love the West especially the more remote parts. I appreciate the passion for and sharing of these explorations by you. Vistas, history, geology, and just wrong cusine[emoji849].

The video production features just keep getting better!

Excellent job again, Cindy and Eddie.[emoji122]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

AZVAJKU
10-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Great video, that looks really fun. Itís always a great time exploring and taking in some history. As a kid I learned far more doing those types of activities with my family than I ever learned sitting in school.

I am pretty sure you were being tested by Satan with the mayo Gyros. Mayo contamination of food items should always be rejected.

wayoflife
10-03-2018, 11:06 PM
Yes, really :crazyeyes:

:cheesy: Okay, I have to say that sammich looked kinda tasty :crazyeyes:

Really nice exploring trip, guys! I love the West especially the more remote parts. I appreciate the passion for and sharing of these explorations by you. Vistas, history, geology, and just wrong cusine[emoji849].

The video production features just keep getting better!

Excellent job again, Cindy and Eddie.[emoji122]

Hey Et, long time no see. Hope you had a great time in Italy and hope we can get you and Michelle out on another trip with us sometime soon. :yup:

Great video, that looks really fun. Itís always a great time exploring and taking in some history. As a kid I learned far more doing those types of activities with my family than I ever learned sitting in school.

I am pretty sure you were being tested by Satan with the mayo Gyros. Mayo contamination of food items should always be rejected.

:cheesy: Glad you enjoyed the video and yes, it really is a great time exploring.

jesse3638
10-04-2018, 12:47 AM
We're truly flattered that you'd say as much, thank you. :cool:

So glad you enjoyed it :)

--

It's nice that collecting is legal, but you have to follow the rules. Its surface collecting with up to a certain depth of excavating (sorry can't remember the legal depth) with hand tools. You are allowed to collect up to what could fit into an average cars trunk (Yes that is the verbiage..haha) per day. The use of mechanized equipment is prohibited unless proper mining claim permits are issued and a claim is staked. At which point you must show use and improvements to your claim annually and pay the annual permit fee in order to maintain it.

Now I'm on a mission to scour google Earth and seek out the location. Damn desert out there looks all the same though..haha. Very cool for sharing. I love going out and exploring. Lisa and I did that a couple weekends ago in Stoddard Valley on our way to the Slash-X. Finally made my way to RZ spring then showed her Stoddard's Well on our way home. 54 Miles total 46 of them all on dirt.

wayoflife
10-04-2018, 02:24 AM
It's nice that collecting is legal, but you have to follow the rules. Its surface collecting with up to a certain depth of excavating (sorry can't remember the legal depth) with hand tools. You are allowed to collect up to what could fit into an average cars trunk (Yes that is the verbiage..haha) per day. The use of mechanized equipment is prohibited unless proper mining claim permits are issued and a claim is staked. At which point you must show use and improvements to your claim annually and pay the annual permit fee in order to maintain it.

Now I'm on a mission to scour google Earth and seek out the location. Damn desert out there looks all the same though..haha. Very cool for sharing. I love going out and exploring. Lisa and I did that a couple weekends ago in Stoddard Valley on our way to the Slash-X. Finally made my way to RZ spring then showed her Stoddard's Well on our way home. 54 Miles total 46 of them all on dirt.

That's pretty much what I've read from the BLM and why I was pretty pissed to see that a backhoe had come into this area and was literally trenching the site. Being that the area is so remote, I don't know how anyone could stop them.

Glad to hear you got to spend so much time exploring your backyard. The Mojave is one of my favorite places.

fiend
10-04-2018, 04:37 AM
I watched this on my big screen tv instead of my phone. The production quality and artistry that Cindy and You bring to your videos has really come a long way since the early days. Really nice. I like the drone work. Great job!

wayoflife
10-04-2018, 02:21 PM
I watched this on my big screen tv instead of my phone. The production quality and artistry that Cindy and You bring to your videos has really come a long way since the early days. Really nice. I like the drone work. Great job!

Thank you, we really do appreciate it. Cindy loves what she does and is always looking for ways to doing things better. The drone is something we've been meaning to incorporate for years but it's only been recently that we've had one small enough to carry with us.

jesse3638
10-04-2018, 03:49 PM
That's pretty much what I've read from the BLM and why I was pretty pissed to see that a backhoe had come into this area and was literally trenching the site. Being that the area is so remote, I don't know how anyone could stop them.

Glad to hear you got to spend so much time exploring your backyard. The Mojave is one of my favorite places.

Yeah its stuff like that, that ruins it for everyone. Unfortunately most public lands are so expansive that catching someone is nearly impossible. The only way they caught the guys who cut the petroglyphs out of the rocks outside of Bishop was because they wanted them for yard decor and proudly displayed them.

Edit: Correction, they received an anonymous tip (that was believed to be the thieves) which led authorities to them. It was believed they were taken to be displayed.

wayoflife
10-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Yeah its stuff like that, that ruins it for everyone. Unfortunately most public lands are so expansive that catching someone is nearly impossible. The only way they caught the guys who cut the petroglyphs out of the rocks outside of Bishop was because they wanted them for yard decor and proudly displayed them.

Edit: Correction, they received an anonymous tip (that was believed to be the thieves) which led authorities to them. It was believed they were taken to be displayed.

I remember when that happened. If I recall, there was a panel that was stolen from the Black Mountains as well about the same time. People suck!

Brute
10-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Totally dug this short vid...I have a couple comments..

1. Finding fossils brings me back to my youth...something I thoroughly enjoyed before I was a teenager.

2. The acoustic slide guitar music was cool...nothing like a little blues groove to jam to.

3. Make your own tzatziki...it's easy...Greek yogurt, peeled and seeded cukes, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper...throw it into the blender (dill optional)...

Jsouder53
10-05-2018, 12:40 AM
Awesome video! Super cool finding sea fossils in the middle of the desert [emoji106]

DaJudge
10-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us. Looked liked a great day!
I think I hate you though! That it's a Thursday and we are exploring because we can statement is hard to take!

RESURECTIONJK
10-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Perfect way to spend a Thursday. Thanks so much for sharing yet another amazingly constructed and edited video. Cindy... you should start charging for that kind of quality [emoji6]

sipafz
10-06-2018, 02:37 PM
I really enjoyed the video! Looks like a great way to spend a day!

If you ever find anything that you canít identify, you could ask my Brother In Law as he is the Fossil Collection Manager at the Chicago Field Museum. His job has him in the field often, doing exactly what you have done.

Just let me know and I will pm you his contact info.

wayoflife
10-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us. Looked liked a great day!
I think I hate you though! That it's a Thursday and we are exploring because we can statement is hard to take!

:cheesy: Took us a long time to get where we're at in our lives :)

Perfect way to spend a Thursday. Thanks so much for sharing yet another amazingly constructed and edited video. Cindy... you should start charging for that kind of quality [emoji6]

LOL!! You're way too kind, thank you :)

I really enjoyed the video! Looks like a great way to spend a day!

If you ever find anything that you canít identify, you could ask my Brother In Law as he is the Fossil Collection Manager at the Chicago Field Museum. His job has him in the field often, doing exactly what you have done.

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/about/staff/profile/91

No way, how cool is that! Thanks :thumb: