Just "wondering"...

Sporadic

So, I had an AEV 2.5 inch suspension lift installed (no correction brackets), 35x12.5 R18 tires added and JKS Quicker disconnects on my 13' JKU.

After a little drive time, both highway and in town, I've noticed some "wondering" in the steering. Meaning, my rig wants to follow the contours of the road. I took it back to the shop for a test drive and they tell me next time I get an alignment have the toe out adjusted a few degrees and that should correct the problem. Is this correct?

I've found a few posts (and write-up ) on this forum to look at the caster and corrections can be made by adding upper and lower control arms. Would correction brackets help?

Any suggestions on which way I should go to try and correct this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ty

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bigger wider tires will want to follow cracks and seams in the highway. It's just the way it goes. However, if you are feeling like your Jeep feels flighty or wanders around with or without cracks/seams, you're most likely feeling the effects of too little caster. The best way to address this is to install adjustable front lower control arms and use them to add back a bit more positive caster - bring it closer to stock which is +4°. I would not recommend installing the AEV drop brackets with the small amount of lift you have. I would also NOT recommend that you set your toe out as that would be an incorrect adjustment for a vehicle like a Jeep that is primarily a rear wheel drive. While it may help what you are feeling a bit, it will just serve as a band aid and cause poor tire wear.

Sporadic

Bigger wider tires will want to follow cracks and seams in the highway. It's just the way it goes. However, if you are feeling like your Jeep feels flighty or wanders around with or without cracks/seams, you're most likely feeling the effects of too little caster. The best way to address this is to install adjustable front lower control arms and use them to add back a bit more positive caster - bring it closer to stock which is +4°. I would not recommend installing the AEV drop brackets with the small amount of lift you have. I would also NOT recommend that you set your toe out as that would be an incorrect adjustment for a vehicle like a Jeep that is primarily a rear wheel drive. While it may help what you are feeling a bit, it will just serve as a band aid and cause poor tire wear.

Eddie, that's what I was expecting to hear, just needed some reassurance. I need to measure the caster and go from there. Thanks!

TacPen

Banned
I have the same AEV kit and ended up adjusting the toe in slightly. Drives like a champ now, eliminated the wandering. Your mileage may vary.

Sporadic

Okay, my caster measured +2°. If I'm thinking about this correctly I would need to increase the length of the LCA's to add more positive caster. Would another +2-2.5° of caster make a noticeable difference in the wandering I'm experiencing? Based on experience, how much added length is equivalent to 2°?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366765634.726751.jpg

I've also read a post or two stating to check the pinion angle. Please provide some details on this subject.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, my caster measured +2°. If I'm thinking about this correctly I would need to increase the length of the LCA's to add more positive caster. Would another +2-2.5° of caster make a noticeable difference in the wandering I'm experiencing? Based on experience, how much added length is equivalent to 2°?

Yes. If you really are seeing only +2°, you really will want to add a couple degrees more and the way you do that is by lengthening your LCA's. I would start off by setting them at about 23" eye to eye. Depending on how much lift you really have, you may need to reduce that amount a tad to get you to where you want to be.

I've also read a post or two stating to check the pinion angle. Please provide some details on this subject.

You can place an angle finder on the front your diff housing as shown in the photo below. The reading you get here should be zero assuming you are on flat ground. A zero reading will mean you have +4° of caster.

main.php

bl17z90

I have had this kit for about a year now and it sits higher than 2.5 and can really benefit from a front track bar. My front axle was so far off center that one stock 255 tire stuck out a good half inch outside the fender.
The drop brackets really helped my ride quality but now they are a low point so i need to upgrade my tires before i trust takin it out again. Need sliders and bumpers and gussets too and the list goes on :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom