Coast 130 driveshaft maintenance

silverbackjk

I have had my coast front drive shaft for about 6month now and i was wondering what the regular maintenance should be? I was wondering if the double cardigan side needs anything done to it?:crazyeyes: sorry 1310 shaft

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Inspect and lube the joints and the double cardan at least once every 15,000 - more frequently if you've been playing in mud and deep water. If you are running non-serviceable u-joints, just replace them once every 2 years or about 30,000 miles. I tend to want to do that with greasable ones too anyway.

silverbackjk

Inspect and lube the joints and the double cardan at least once every 15,000 - more frequently if you've been playing in mud and deep water. If you are running non-serviceable u-joints, just replace them once every 2 years or about 30,000 miles. I tend to want to do that with greasable ones too anyway.

Coast has emailed me saying the dbl cardigan in maintenance free. Should I just lube it anyways?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Coast has emailed me saying the dbl cardigan in maintenance free. Should I just lube it anyways?

If it's a maintenance free double cardan, there won't really be a way for you to grease it. You should be fine for a long time with it. You might want to ask how long you can go before it needs to be rebuilt as I'm sure they have some kind of service interval for it.

silverbackjk

If it's a maintenance free double cardan, there won't really be a way for you to grease it. You should be fine for a long time with it. You might want to ask how long you can go before it needs to be rebuilt as I'm sure they have some kind of service interval for it.

I will email bill back and see if he has a service sheet he can send me. Do the J.E Reel shafts gave a zerk to lube on the dbl cardigan?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will email bill back and see if he has a service sheet he can send me. Do the J.E Reel shafts gave a zerk to lube on the dbl cardigan?

I have run a set of J.E. Reels in the past that did have them but, the last set did not. I haven't checked my newest set but, I would bet there aren't any either. It's never been a problem for me and I typically need to have my shafts rebalanced or rebuilt at least once every 60,000 miles... more times, less.

silverbackjk

I have run a set of J.E. Reels in the past that did have them but, the last set did not. I haven't checked my newest set but, I would bet there aren't any either. It's never been a problem for me and I typically need to have my shafts rebalanced or rebuilt at least once every 60,000 miles... more times, less.

Thanks for the great info!! Much appreciate.

JHP81

My coast 1310's are about 8 months old and I have greased the only Zerg fitting it has once(which took a lot if grease)
The thing is, during slow speed driving with window down next to a flat wall, like a drive thru or trail ride, I can hear chirping noise. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the shaft but can't 100%tell. From inside, can't hear a thing. Anyone have this issue?

silverbackjk

My coast 1310's are about 8 months old and I have greased the only Zerg fitting it has once(which took a lot if grease)
The thing is, during slow speed driving with window down next to a flat wall, like a drive thru or trail ride, I can hear chirping noise. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the shaft but can't 100%tell. From inside, can't hear a thing. Anyone have this issue?

Mine makes a clicking sound

T&ERun

LOSER
Found this thread but it didn't answer all my questions for my 1310 front shaft (Coast). I have recently started having the chipping at low speeds. A couple of questions: I've read where you have to grease the double cardan ball? I've also read that you don't. Which is it? Second question is, when I grease the zerk on the shaft grease comes out a hole at the end of the shaft right by the u-joint. It doesn't look like any grease comes through (what I call) the slip splines. Do you guys get grease to come out through the spines or does yours ooze out the hole by the u-joint first?

Found this thread but it didn't answer all my questions for my 1310 front shaft (Coast). I have recently started having the chipping at low speeds. A couple of questions: I've read where you have to grease the double cardan ball? I've also read that you don't. Which is it? Second question is, when I grease the zerk on the shaft grease comes out a hole at the end of the shaft right by the u-joint. It doesn't look like any grease comes through (what I call) the slip splines. Do you guys get grease to come out through the spines or does yours ooze out the hole by the u-joint first?

That is a hollow tube. Just pump the grease Gun a few times and call it a day. If you put too much in ... When you stuff the suspension.. The greed will force out the hole as the DS collapses.

My Adams DS needs to be removed to grease the centering ball. I don't know about Coast.

jeeeep

Hooked
you can also pull the DS drive it around and if the noise goes away you've confirmed it's the DS - also easier to do a full inspection/service of the DS.

Top Bottom