Symptoms of a bad front driveshaft

longarmwj

Last Saturday I wheeled my JK quite hard. Probably the hardest I’ve ever wheeled it. Almost immediately after I started hearing a noise in my front end. First thought it was springs, but everything checked out. Then I thought it was steering, again, everything is okay. The noise sounds like a vibration, metal on metal. It is worst when I put it in reverse as it will just vibrate endlessly. I’ve narrowed it down to the driveshaft.

Now I’m running 5.75 inches of lift up front, and I’m on stock driveshafts. I know I know stupid but it’s been on the agenda for replacement for a while now. Just haven’t had the chance to pull the trigger. Is it possible that what I am hearing is my driveshaft getting ready to let go?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Last Saturday I wheeled my JK quite hard. Probably the hardest I’ve ever wheeled it. Almost immediately after I started hearing a noise in my front end. First thought it was springs, but everything checked out. Then I thought it was steering, again, everything is okay. The noise sounds like a vibration, metal on metal. It is worst when I put it in reverse as it will just vibrate endlessly. I’ve narrowed it down to the driveshaft.

Now I’m running 5.75 inches of lift up front, and I’m on stock driveshafts. I know I know stupid but it’s been on the agenda for replacement for a while now. Just haven’t had the chance to pull the trigger. Is it possible that what I am hearing is my driveshaft getting ready to let go?

Does it go away if you remove your driveshaft? I’d start there

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it sounds like a metallic ratcheting sound, it's most likely the bearings in your rzeppa joint that are bad. You NEED to replace it.

longarmwj

Does it go away if you remove your driveshaft? I’d start there

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Have not tried that yet. Probably a good place to start
If it sounds like a metallic ratcheting sound, it's most likely the bearings in your rzeppa joint that are bad. You NEED to replace it.
That’s what I was worrying about. Guess it’s time to get with Bubba the end of the week and talk options lol
When mine started to go it sounded like popcorn popping, not exactly metal on metal.

5.75" of lift? You do a lot of mudding or running 50" tires or something?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
As little mud as I can. It’s impossible to avoid it wheeling in the south but I try to stick to trails and rocks as much as possible.

Top Bottom