PDA

View Full Version : Tightening heim joints on new lower arms....

Rivertoys
03-13-2013, 08:26 PM
When I installed a Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel lift (a few weeks ago), the instructions said to tighten them to 200lbs torque if possible. I was not able to do that... I had trouble tightening them much without them turning. I got them good as I could with a giant crescent wrench, and red loc-tite. It's been eating at me and in the back of my head, I'm thinking they need to be properly torqued before an offroad adventure.

> Thoughts? Is there a "trick" to it? (having the proper size wrench would help)

I am thinking about going to Offroad Evo and having them go through and torque everything, just to be safe. I see they offer that service, not sure if it would include heim joints on the links though. I'm not called them.

Thanks!!!
Jason

wayoflife
03-13-2013, 08:37 PM
You're lower control arm bolts should be tightened to 125 ft. lbs. of torque - NOT 200. You will need a big torque wrench to do this.

Rivertoys
03-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Not the bolts that hold the arms, the heim joint nut itself, is what I'm talking about. It's a huge nut that you set after acheiving the proper length of the arm .... you know what I mean?

The instructions said it needed to be torqued to 200 because that gives it preload.. so something along those lines.

wayoflife
03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Not the bolts that hold the arms, the heim joint nut itself, is what I'm talking about. It's a huge nut that you set after acheiving the proper length of the arm .... you know what I mean?

The instructions said it needed to be torqued to 200 because that gives it preload.. so something along those lines.

Ok, you're referring to the jam nuts. Man, I don't know if there's any really good way to tighten them up other than with a big crescent wrench like you said you have. That alone is about all I have been able to do. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

OverlanderJK
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah I don't know how you would tighten them with a torque wrench. I just tightened them as best I could with my crescent wrench. Nowhere near 200 I can guarantee that.

Rivertoys
03-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Ok, you're referring to the jam nuts. Man, I don't know if there's any really good way to tighten them up other than with a big crescent wrench like you said you have. That alone is about all I have been able to do. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

OK cool, it makes me feel better just knowing that I'm not the only one that handled that in the way I did. Thanks.

bl17z90
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Didnt evo come out with a replacement jam nut that had a set screw that hekd it down pretty well

paychex.308
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I think that is only for their control arms, but I may be wrong...

Paws
03-14-2013, 12:47 AM
They make a tool called crows foot. Someone on here pointed it out but if you get these you should be able to crank on them with a torque bar or breaker bar.

I think RK uses 1in and 1.25 inch for the jam nuts.

I took mine into 4wheel parts after the install and should have asked how they did it. I wasn't pleased at the job they did as they missed tightening the front drag link.

I've always have been a nonbeliever in taking things to shops to get fixed. If I don't to it myself its hard to trust the other person. I've been burned to many times in the past. :(