Front Drive shaft boot

Tackerdown

Banned
I went wheeling Sunday and just did an inspection. My question is should the front drive shaft boot clamp be tight enough that you can't spin the boot. I noticed that it was a little damp looking from the boot out about a half inch so I grabbed it and it just spun. Is there anything I should check before I tighten it or should I leave it alone.:idontknow: the factory clamp is only on the first lock position and its not damaged.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't completely torn the thing off, it'll just be a matter of time before you do. I wouldn't worry too much about it but, I would start saving up for a new aftermarket front shaft to replace the whole thing. Eventually, the factory shaft will start to seize up and give you grief but, that won't be for a while.

Tackerdown

Banned
Thanks. There isn't any damage to it at all I don't even see a scuffle mark on it ,it just looks like it was never tightened onto the shaft. What exactly does the boot hold in ?

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. There isn't any damage to it at all I don't even see a scuffle mark on it ,it just looks like it was never tightened onto the shaft. What exactly does the boot hold in ?

It keeps the grease for the slip shaft inside. Without the boot, it would spray out. The clamp most likely caught on the transmission or skid plate just a hair and it worked it loose. I have seen it happen many times before.

Tackerdown

Banned
Ok well I'll go ahead and tighten it and wait . Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom