Finally got the new shocks on

SoCalDozer

Shocks came in way faster than expected so threw them on yesterday. The ride is way different that's for sure, a lot more firm and you feel more in the road but it still feels more comfortable and handles a ton better than the rubi shocks. Hopefully I will get it out to the desert soon to try them out.
Still planning on getting the rear rock stop kit from Evo to. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363397067.846707.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363397078.254098.jpg

SoCalDozer

Talk about a tight fit, these things barely fit in on the rear. Just barely not touching the sway bar and track bar. What would happen if I used the Evo bracket and didn't have a 3" lift?

SoCalDozer

Sweet! Looks good!

Pull that heat shield too. 👍

I need to, that stupid thing sliced the tip of my finger when putting them on. I saw red on the sway bar and I was like wth, then saw it coming off my hand. Of course it started hurting after I saw it

jk12blk

Looks great! fyi - if you make any additional changes which requires changing your rear trackbar bracket, be sure to cycle your suspension to ensure the 2.5 shock body is not rubbing on the trackbar bracket. I just noticed mine has been rubbing, so I'm working with the installer to correct it at no cost (they are going to move the bottom shock mount out further). And if King states the shock integrity has been compromised, I expect the installer will replace the shock as well given they ensured compatibility, did not read the RK instructions in detail and also did not cycle the suspension after installation.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 333
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 328

rtguy1

Looks great! fyi - if you make any additional changes which requires changing your rear trackbar bracket, be sure to cycle your suspension to ensure the 2.5 shock body is not rubbing on the trackbar bracket. I just noticed mine has been rubbing, so I'm working with the installer to correct it at no cost (they are going to move the bottom shock mount out further). And if King states the shock integrity has been compromised, I expect the installer will replace the shock as well given they ensured compatibility, did not read the RK instructions in detail and also did not cycle the suspension after installation.

Good advice. I learned the importance of cycling the suspension the easy way. Lol. I put a jks trackbar up front, cycled the suspension, and noticed a clearance issue with the front diff cover. It doesn't have the flattened section like the stock bar in front of the diff and causes a clearance issue. Went to the teraflex which does have the flattened section for clearance and had no issue. Don't want to know what would have happened the first time I bottomed out the suspension offroad. ;). The new kings look sweet under there.

I had the same problem but I caught mine before it got too bad. I am removing the bracket I have and replacing it with the EVO RCC bracket which will give me the clearance I need. But I will be sure I cycle it to ensure that everything is how it should be.

SoCalDozer

I want to change to the Evo bracket now to give clearance but not sure how that would work with only 1.5" lift

SoCalDozer

after having these shocks for 3 months now I must say I am still getting used to the ride. Out in Ocotillo on the high speed washes and roads it really shines. I hit the smaller whoops doing about 50 by accident and it took it real well, Its no pre runner by any means and I cant keep up with my buddy in his fully built titan but I wasnt expecting to either.

so far the pro's and con's are as follows.

Pro's:
They are King and look badass
perform exceptionally well on high speed stuff
makes the jeep handle turns like its on rails

Con's:
Firm daily ride: this is a pro too because it give it sports car like handling
Pretty rough on slow trail rides

If i were to do it again I dont know if I would get the Kings a second time for my kind of driving. they are a badass shock no doubt and perform awesome but a little bit stiff for a DD and slow trail riding.
The king bump stops on the other hand are one of the best investments you can put on a jeep in my opinion and I do not regret them at all.

SoCalDozer

How hard are the bump stops to install? They sure look good! Are they nitrogen filled?

extremely easy. take off springs, measure then tape off factory bump stops and cut with a reciprocating saw. install new ones and tighten down set screws and put it back together. took me about an hour. and yes they are nitrogen filled

JKbrick

Thank you, installed 2 1/2" lift and put Sumosprings on. I thought they were longer than stock when I ordered them but they really are not, and I don't want to damage anything with bump stops no longer than stock

SoCalDozer

Thank you, installed 2 1/2" lift and put Sumosprings on. I thought they were longer than stock when I ordered them but they really are not, and I don't want to damage anything with bump stops no longer than stock

they are the same length as stock when compressed. they do come with a 2' bumpstop though so if you dont already have one with your lift you are covered. I didnt install mine but kept them for when I do need them.

Top Bottom