Gears?

wvjeepin

So after I fix my Jk, I want to up grade my gears. What is the better way since I don't know what I'm looking for? I have Dana 30 in front and 44 in rear. Running 33s, but want 35s

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Personally Im going to run 4:88's. i have the same axles as you and am currently running 35's on stock gearing. Its not too awful bad, I just need a Procal to fix the shift points, speedo, stuff like that. Do a search and see if you can find other threads about this. There are lots. Some other experienced members may chime in to help you out, but its late so maybe other threads can help you in the mean time.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
After looking at eddies tips for noobs article he has I'm going to run 5.13 gears. I have a 30 and 44 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Philip *AZ*

Banned
5:13's are a great gear ratio. My friend is running them in his JK. He said he is happy with it, but cant really pull more than 75mph.. Not sure why you would need to go faster than that though. I am goin 4:88 because thats what I want. I doubt you will be displeased with 5:13. Good choice, plus Whoever this Eddie guy is Im sure he knows a thing or two..lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
5:13's are a great gear ratio. My friend is running them in his JK. He said he is happy with it, but cant really pull more than 75mph.. Not sure why you would need to go faster than that though. I am goin 4:88 because thats what I want. I doubt you will be displeased with 5:13. Good choice, plus Whoever this Eddie guy is Im sure he knows a thing or two..lol

That's good to hear he is happy with it! I don't do to much highway driving so going over 75 really isn't to big of a deal for me. I'm just Lookin to get all the power back when I do go to 35's. running bone stock gears now (3.25 I think they are) with 32's and it's brutal how much power I lost

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I know we drive jeeps. But I had 5:13 in my GMC truck rollin 37's. they made a huge difference and did a great job gettin that heavy pig rollin. I like to use that comparison because of how heavy our JK's are. I think the hardest decision Im having is swappin my D30 for D44. I dont rock crawl and am fairly conservative on the trails. I think with a little attention the D30 will treat me ok. What are you planning? Swap or No?

bl17z90

Just be carefull in one of Eddies videos hes running 5.38's on the stock axles and blew out the ring in the rear right in the middle of the dusey ershim trail......in the rain/hail didn't look too fun.

Last edited:

Topper

I'm rolling with the 5:13's I just had them installed last week and I like them a lot they fill a lot better.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Honestly, "Brand" could be personal choice. I was looking at Motive Gear because Northridge 4x4 has some great package deals on them, and axle shafts as well, I was told to steer away from Motive because of how they "Heat Treat" the metal, but never really got a solid answer. NR4x4 carries the Master Intall kits as well. I know many people dont like Yukon Gear for sure. Throughout multiple forums and threads Ive seen lots of breaks. Other than that I cannot give any personal insight. Im still learning, and seeing what has had the best luck. Driving style has a lot to do with breakage Im sure.. The skinny pedal is good at breakin stuff!

JethroJK

I'm rolling with the 5:13's I just had them installed last week and I like them a lot they fill a lot better.

I too am getting 35s on this weekend and was curious about what gears to go with, been told 5:13s. How much was your install roughly if you don't mind me asking? Trying figure a budget for this.

jeeeep

Hooked
i have 2010 Unlmt Rubi auto with 35's running 4:88's, i do quite a bit of freeway through mountain passes and didn't chose 5:13 because i wanted to keep the ability to lock out OD when needed. I also tow a trailer at times and the performance is great. off-road is performance is great as i lock out OD anyway and so far have not had any issues... but i do miss the Hemi power from my GC

wvjeepin

yea I do a lot of highway driving, and im a weekend wheeler really, nothing to big because i'm still paying the jeep off. but I just want something to get my power and mpg back, thought I was doing that when I put the intake and exhaust on....nope I went from 17 to 13 after that.:naw:

Topper

I too am getting 35s on this weekend and was curious about what gears to go with, been told 5:13s. How much was your install roughly if you don't mind me asking? Trying figure a budget for this.

I really can't remember right now, but i went with the G2 Gears

jeeeep

Hooked
yea I do a lot of highway driving, and im a weekend wheeler really, nothing to big because i'm still paying the jeep off. but I just want something to get my power and mpg back, thought I was doing that when I put the intake and exhaust on....nope I went from 17 to 13 after that.:naw:

I'm using Superchips power tune, calibrated speedo, have CAI, Screamin Demon coil and Livewires - just installed Dynomax VT but before the Dynomax I was getting about 13-16 around town depending on lead foot. on the freeway i can avg 16 - 20 depending on weather and speed, head winds suck lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Maybe Eddie will chime in on this one and give a little insite for those of use with D30 front and D44 rear's. want to make sure i get it right when the time comes. his choice of brands, what all is needed, good C gussets to throw on, etc etc.

jkmadness

Maybe Eddie will chime in on this one and give a little insite for those of use with D30 front and D44 rear's. want to make sure i get it right when the time comes. his choice of brands, what all is needed, good C gussets to throw on, etc etc.

What year JK is yours and is it auto or stick

gtony12

Caught the Bug

I 2nd that (2012 JK sport 3:21's 3.6 penstar w/32" x 18's here) :yup:

Top Bottom