Gears?

bl17z90

I am half tempted to save up a big pile of cash and ship my jeep to evo and have it all done at one time. axles, coilovers, and skins/sliders but that would cost a good bit of money and i have no idea how long it would take me to save up for that :broke:

GasStationGuy

Nice! Im still weighing my options vs. Budget. That sounds very reasonable to me! :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
yea i saw this when i was researching. i would like to be in the green section of it. i guess i just need to get a rubi or save up and buy a PR44 housing and try and build it from scratch so i can get the 5.13 or higher.

jeeeep

Hooked
keep in mind that gear chart assumes full time OD - if you want to lock out your OD your RPM's will jump quickly because it's OD, not a true 4-speed. if you want a good daily driver, 4:88 with 35's will give you a good balance of DD performance, off-road power (OD locker out), DD mileage and if you have a D30 the RP shaft will not be as thin as they are when you get with 5:13 gears.

I tow and travel mountain passes, i've not had any sluggish performance, if i had installed 5:13 i'd never be able to take it out of OD with the type of DD i do (i'd be going so slow i would have sluggish performance lol).... just more stuff to think about!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
keep in mind that gear chart assumes full time OD - if you want to lock out your OD your RPM's will jump quickly because it's OD, not a true 4-speed. if you want a good daily driver, 4:88 with 35's will give you a good balance of DD performance, off-road power (OD locker out), DD mileage and if you have a D30 the RP shaft will not be as thin as they are when you get with 5:13 gears.

I tow and travel mountain passes, i've not had any sluggish performance, if i had installed 5:13 i'd never be able to take it out of OD with the type of DD i do (i'd be going so slow i would have sluggish performance lol).... just more stuff to think about!

I do a bit of towing myself so I normally leave it in OD. (Tow a golf cart and Jet Skis). So put in the 4.88s and I will still be fine leaving it in OD like I do now?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I do a bit of towing myself so I normally leave it in OD. (Tow a golf cart and Jet Skis). So put in the 4.88s and I will still be fine leaving it in OD like I do now?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

yes, i am able to have good performance with the 4:88 using OD daily, good offroad performance and for a Jeep i have good gas mileage as well. I can maintain good freeway speeds and mountain passes with OD locked out are no issue (i-70 through Colorado). I ran a lot of numbers against the RPM limits and talked to some tranmission guys (outside of Jeep owners and shops) to come to the conclusion that 4:88's were the way to go for my style of driving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom