Newbie questions

A_R_A_W_N

As my tour here in Germany is half over the wife and I are starting to plan our build for our JK. Mind you we dont own it yet thats our purchase when we get back to good old America. More ive been reading the FAQ's and the forums ive been thinking if we should skip 33s and go right to 35s. Now with that being said I noticed if we did that we would have to upgrade the dana30 in the front. By no means is this going to be a fast turn around like some here but I want to build a well rounded JK. So lets say we go with 35s with a 3inch lift bumber stops and 1inch body besides regearing what should we swap that dana30 to?

The reason im asking is that I figured even if I went with 33s id probably upgrade to 35s down the road anyways. I mean we all have a similiar dream to have a rig like eddies or mels but that take time. Or is it better to start off with 33s get the hang of everything then upgrade later. I used to hit the trails with my father before joining almost 6 years ago in his ford bronco II. Besides the different training ive done and my deployment going through swamps, sand, and rocky areas ive done very little lately in the compass. We are just looking for a good start and one day hitting up the more experianced trails

Skid_Kid

Buy a Rubi, three inch lift, wheels with correct back spacing and 35's. But no a 30 can handle 35's and still wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A_R_A_W_N

Still convincing household 6 on the rubicon but for some reason she wants the Sahara. . . But its gonna be the 4 door so we can easily get our daughter in the JK.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Honestly depending on what type of wheeling you are planning to do 32s will be fine with a lift. I say this because looking back at what I have added to my Jeep, I feel I should have gone with a 2.5" lift at a minimum. I have a JKUR and 32s at stock height which is great but If I'd have had a lift It would have saved me $800 on repairs.

I am going to hopefully move up to 35s as soon as possible!

And as mentioned if you can, buy a Rubi. Are you buying a new Jeep or earlier model?

Dixon4x4

Buying a Rubi would be the easy way to get the Dana 44 front, but I have been wheeling mine with the Dana 30 front and 35's with no problems and I don't just take the easy way through things, I pay attention and take my time. If you get the Sahara with the Dana 30 front just be sure to gusit the C's and you should have no problems. But in the end it will just come down to what type of wheeling you do, and what type of driver you are.:thumb:

Beyrgut

I have a Sahara and will be running a 2.5 RK spring lift with 35s in the very near future. From the research I've done the 30 is ok until you go to 37s and then you will definitely want a 44 or 60. The must from what I gather for 35s on a D30 is getting the C gussets. So I would say skip the 33s, get a Budget Boost (BB) or 2.5 spring kit along with 1.5 wheel spacers and a set of 35s. If budget allows you can forgo the wheel spacers and get wheels with 4.5 of backspacing or less.

Oh yeah, almost forgot with larger tires be sure to get and AEV ProCal or something equivalent to reprogram the tire size and TPMS adjustability.

Last edited:

A_R_A_W_N

It will be a '12 or '13 depending on when we leave here in 2014. For types of wheeling its going to depend on whats around our next base but planning on playing some on rocks. Thanks to all. We really enjoy all the pics and videos posted as well as the stories that come with it too

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Get a Rubi so you will have the Dana 44, lockers, swaybar disconnect and the 4:1 transfer case. The transfer case makes it a totally different vehicle than the Sahara while wheeling it offroad in low range. You won't regret it.

And thank you for serving! I loved Germany when I was stationed over there.

:beer::thumb:

A_R_A_W_N

Get a Rubi so you will have the Dana 44, lockers, swaybar disconnect and the 4:1 transfer case. The transfer case makes it a totally different vehicle than the Sahara while wheeling it offroad in low range. You won't regret it.

And thank you for serving! I loved Germany when I was stationed over there.

:beer::thumb:
Thanks same to you. Ive noticed a lot of vets here!!
Germany is great, a enjoyable experience for sure just need to maximize my time here and travel Germany more. Hopefully will be going go the eagles nest this spring. One of my favorite spots to hike is up to rubble hill, which has its name from when the US and NATO bombs landing in Stuttgart.

. But no a 30 can handle 35's and still wheel.

I disagree. And so would a lot of people that wheeled with me in the past. Depends on the driver, and trail. I wheeled 35's on a 30 on everything in Moab, all over Vegas, parts of CO, CA.
I was not trying to break it, but I was not gentle on bit at all.
But I will say I always felt like I was one bad second from being in a bad spot.
If your just hitting small stuff and mostly driving back roads you can do it with a 30 on 35's.

Jeepmed

I have the 30 and I bought 33" tires. Happy with that decision for a week. Get 35's. I'm going to gussett, regear, locker, and chromolly the 30.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
I have the 30 and I bought 33" tires. Happy with that decision for a week. Get 35's. I'm going to gussett, regear, locker, and chromolly the 30.

Thats what Im doin. I want a 44, but I figure I will wait until I break the D30 first. After a D44 front Im goin 37's anyway. The 30 will get me by until then, plus if I dont break it I can sell a beefed 30.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

DanMojo82

If youre going to be upgrading right away I would just take the money you would spend on a Rubi and get a Sport then throw a PR44 under it. It would be a little bit pricey, but you can always sell your 30 to recoup some of the cost and you wouldn't have to worry if you decided to run 37's in the future. You can still find some new 2012's out there that you can get a good deal on. The electronic sway bar is overrated in my opinion, I have no problem getting out and disconnecting and I know people with Rubi's who would still disconnect to get more flex. The only thing you would really be missing would be the 4:1 transfer case, but saving up for that would get you an atlas which would be way better anyway.

Jeepmed

If youre going to be upgrading right away I would just take the money you would spend on a Rubi and get a Sport then throw a PR44 under it. It would be a little bit pricey, but you can always sell your 30 to recoup some of the cost and you wouldn't have to worry if you decided to run 37's in the future.
Thats a great idea.

JAGS

Hooked
If your going to wheel it soon or in the future after purchase, I'd get the rubi. As for the wife liking the Sahara, you can get all the Sahara options on a rubi. Win/win and rubi is mighty capable out the box. And with minor upgrades, like a simple budget boost, can be up on 35s with no other mods.

A prorock 44 might be a little overkill if you doubt plan on wheeling super hard. The rubi 4:1 transfer case and Dana 44 are a nice functional set up for offroading.

bo9roadking

If youre going to be upgrading right away I would just take the money you would spend on a Rubi and get a Sport then throw a PR44 under it. It would be a little bit pricey, but you can always sell your 30 to recoup some of the cost and you wouldn't have to worry if you decided to run 37's in the future. You can still find some new 2012's out there that you can get a good deal on. The electronic sway bar is overrated in my opinion, I have no problem getting out and disconnecting and I know people with Rubi's who would still disconnect to get more flex. The only thing you would really be missing would be the 4:1 transfer case, but saving up for that would get you an atlas which would be way better anyway.

This is a good idea, but his wife wants a Sahara. You can't get all of the comfort options on a Sport that is available on a Sahara and Rubicon.

DanMojo82

Well look for some 2012 Rubicons, I'm sure there are some great deals out there. What base are you PCSing to?

A_R_A_W_N

Thanks for all the advice. Not sure yet trying to catch another deployment so probably either back to drum or possibly lewis. I think I have the wife right where I want her. She now is leaning more towards the rubicon now. Just hope I can keep her that way haha. But honestly I appreciate all the comments and suggestions

mrmink

no advice.. but Thank You AND your wife for serving

As my tour here in Germany is half over the wife and I are starting to plan our build for our JK. Mind you we dont own it yet thats our purchase when we get back to good old America. More ive been reading the FAQ's and the forums ive been thinking if we should skip 33s and go right to 35s. Now with that being said I noticed if we did that we would have to upgrade the dana30 in the front. By no means is this going to be a fast turn around like some here but I want to build a well rounded JK. So lets say we go with 35s with a 3inch lift bumber stops and 1inch body besides regearing what should we swap that dana30 to?

The reason im asking is that I figured even if I went with 33s id probably upgrade to 35s down the road anyways. I mean we all have a similiar dream to have a rig like eddies or mels but that take time. Or is it better to start off with 33s get the hang of everything then upgrade later. I used to hit the trails with my father before joining almost 6 years ago in his ford bronco II. Besides the different training ive done and my deployment going through swamps, sand, and rocky areas ive done very little lately in the compass. We are just looking for a good start and one day hitting up the more experianced trails

Well not that your wife served with you... but went thru the 'life' !!!
THANK YOU!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Skip the 33's and go to 35's, skip the body lift and just run a suspension lift, skip the regear if your buying a '12+ and save the money. That's the quick and easy.

If you get 33's you will want to upgrade to 35's and will regret your purchase. Buy once and save yourself the money in the long run. With a 3" suspension lift you have more then enough room to fit the 35's and if you want more room you can cut the fenders and be fine. Remember, even some of those big rigs on 40's are only running 3.5-4" of lift. If you get a '12+ you won't need to regear with 35's if you have 3.73's. I would shop around to get the 3.73's instead of the 3.21's. 3.21's will suck with 35's 3.73's are not bad at all. Then after that just gusset your front axle and have fun with the jeep. Don't worry about the D30 up front right away. Get out and wheel your jeep and learn about it and offroading and worry about upgrading it later.:thumb:

Top Bottom