Cutting shock boot off?

Christarp

Are there any downsides to this? My bilstein 5100s shock boot keeps coming off when extending, and I'm tired of going through zip ties to try to hold it on. On top of that, when I went out it was filled with sand because it came off at the top and was just trapping sand in there, seems kinda backwards to be honest.

So again, any downsides?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Ive been thinking about this myself since myne are usually bunched up or falling down, glad to know they are not needed.

rtguy1

Why do you recommend not using them?

Sent from my wayalife app

see first post. more harm than good. they look like shit when they are all bunched up and crooked. they do protect the shft from some damage or pitting, but by the time that occurs you'll be ready for a new set anyways.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why do you recommend not using them?

Sent from my wayalife app

As mentioned, boots look great and were all the rage back in the 80's but, time and experience has since taught us that boots catch and hold water, dirt, mud and debris and hold them right next to your shock shafts. This causes them to rust and cause premature failure of the seals.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Ha ha!! Same here, mine are history!

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

1BAMFR

Man....I'm cutting mine off today....constantly zip tie the damn things on.

Everytime I flex they all pop off and look like shit.

jk4x4wrangler

Weird

I have been having the same problem's and was wondering how to fix it my self...off they go....it's like we are all one....weird :cheesy:

1BAMFR

Nope - I don't even recommend that you run them at all.

Geeez Eddie, I cut off all by Shock boots and didn't find any dirt in them.............:eek::eek::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iycb9oLd0-g

2013-04-03_13-47-25_989_zpsebfb5a12.jpg

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! for the tip!;):rock:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Mine are still holding tight. When they start slipping I'll cut them off.

As I just mentioned to zach in my build thread, mine were holding tight as well and not slipping or falling off. When I cut my rear boots off the other day there was dust and dirt all inside the boot and on the shaft. I'm happy I did cut them off. It looks better and now I know they will be easier to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone

Devallee

I never liked the look of them on there but always thought they had a function...walking outside to cut em off now :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GTMOSCUBA

Can the shaft be lubed to prevent it from corroding and not damage the seals? I ask because I go to the beaches every day & figured they'll be exposed to the salt spray.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would say just hose them down afterwords really quick. Get the salt off

Sent from my iPhone

mcgee149

Can the shaft be lubed to prevent it from corroding and not damage the seals? I ask because I go to the beaches every day & figured they'll be exposed to the salt spray.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I wouldnt. If you live anywhere dusty or not lube will just give the dirt and grime something to stick to.

Top Bottom