The End of Cracked Windshields

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
After replacing 5 windshields and ready for another I have been doing some research on solving the issues. In my case, all the cracks have started from the edge of the glass where a rock chip was. On the JK's, the edge of the windshield is exposed and not protected by a rubber seal. It is just glued in. I have been looking at a lot of options and finely today I was talking to this old guy and he suggested using door trim like they used on cars in the '70's. Did a little searching and came up with this:

http://www.brandsport.com/prtk-39-202-05.html

The trick it to put it on the windshield before it is glued in. It is the right size and comes in various colors. I am going to use clear. One the windshield is glued in, the glue will also hold this in place without interfering with the adhesive holding the windshield in. This is protect the leading edge of the glass so I don't get chips on the edges. It won't help a direct hit from a object but this will sure help me not spend $458 on every windshield.

And before you ask, insurance in Colorado only pays what your comprehensive deductible is. Drop your deductible down to $50 costs an arm and a leg.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
$458? :eek: A new JK window cost me only about $120 here in Reno (that is paying in full, no insurance claim whatsoever).

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
There is a huge difference in cost if you get the official jeep windshield vs the plain Jane windshield. As much as 200 bucks.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

MTG

Caught the Bug
There is a huge difference in cost if you get the official jeep windshield vs the plain Jane windshield. As much as 200 bucks.

WAYALIFE APP 

I got a Jeep windshield with the little decals on it even. I think it was around $100.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wow congrats that's a super deal! How'd you swing that? Big distributor or something?

WAYALIFE APP 

Called my Insurance company and they asked wether I wanted the OEM windshield or a generic one. They guy came to my office the next day and put it in. Not sure what you mean by big distributor, but I'd have to say no. :)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I just called a glass company directly, no insurance. The company is Fast Glass if you want to look them up to see if they would ship.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Called my Insurance company and they asked wether I wanted the OEM windshield or a generic one. They guy came to my office the next day and put it in. Not sure what you mean by big distributor, but I'd have to say no. :)

Guess insurance helped out. My last windshield went to my deductible.

By big distributor I meant a glass co. That buys alot of windshield and would get a better price based on their buying volume. I live in a town with a pop. of about 30,000 so we don't have large volume glass companies.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Yea I pay well under $200 per windshield myself (and they come to the house to replace it).This last crack I paid $25 to patch the crack. You can still see the crack but it hasn't gotten any bigger.

dahreno

Banned
I save 200.00 at Fast Glass in Reno on my windshield , and that was on my 1961 Willys wagon !I was going to have one shipped from back east till I called Fast glass and they said , "why have it shipped in , we can have one here in an hour " . And , like I said , 200 cheaper .

GuillaumeC91

Don't know if this thread is dead but I just busted my windshield the same way. I heard a rock hit earlier this week but no chips or cracks. Then a few days later, I was sitting in the Jeep letting it warm up and "pop"! There goes a crack! Started from the bottom of the windshield in the black area. I'm guessing this is common occurrence on the flat JK windshields lol just hurts a little when it's my first new vehicle with only 12000 KMs on it lol.:(

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

GuillaumeC91

paid $120 bucks, they came and installed it in my driveway no insurance claim required.

Damn that's pretty good. I'm in Canada, I hope its not much more expensive. I know its dumb but if I could I'd like the OEM windshield to have the Jeep trim lol.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

jeeeep

Hooked
I wish they would put a trim on the exposed edge.. I cracked mine within the 1st week when new. I was using a squeegee to clean it off and hit the edge with the metal part of the squeegee ..cracked the windshield half way across :beer:

Top Bottom