The End of Cracked Windshields

Mitrig

Damn that's pretty good. I'm in Canada, I hope its not much more expensive. I know its dumb but if I could I'd like the OEM windshield to have the Jeep trim lol.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

I live in Windsor and a buddy if mine cracked the windshield on his so my uncle who is a dealer fwd him to a guy that does oem windshield replacement and it cost him 180 bucks which in respect to other places is dirt cheap here.

jhires

I average a new windshield per oil change.

Has anyone tried using clear bra on the windshield?
I've heard of high dollar cars using this. Last example I saw was a Ford GT.
I don't know how well it would work on something that is driven a lot and driven in adverse conditions like our Jeeps.

GuillaumeC91

I live in Windsor and a buddy if mine cracked the windshield on his so my uncle who is a dealer fwd him to a guy that does oem windshield replacement and it cost him 180 bucks which in respect to other places is dirt cheap here.

Damn, I'm in Ontario too but in Ottawa. I hope I can get this lucky too!

I average a new windshield per oil change.

Has anyone tried using clear bra on the windshield?
I've heard of high dollar cars using this. Last example I saw was a Ford GT.
I don't know how well it would work on something that is driven a lot and driven in adverse conditions like our Jeeps.

I was actually thinking of that! There must be something out there that can help! Once every oil change?! That's just nuts!

metaldemon

I don't pay anything for a new windshield in PA. State Farm zero deductible it is worth it it on both my Jeeps. Between the two I have had four windshields.

GuillaumeC91

So this I checked with my insurance company to see how much it would be to add glass coverage to my policy, and turns out I'm covered under my comprehensive coverage... the down side is that my deductible is more than the windshield replacement itself... so I get to pay up. 400$ is what I'm looking at as well. Hurray Canada lol.

So this brings up this thing:http://www.clearplex.com/products/copy-of-jeep-wrangler-windshield-protection-kit

With a new windshield, I'd hate to have keep replacing it over and over again. Has anybody used this or something similar? Thoughts?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So this I checked with my insurance company to see how much it would be to add glass coverage to my policy, and turns out I'm covered under my comprehensive coverage... the down side is that my deductible is more than the windshield replacement itself... so I get to pay up. 400$ is what I'm looking at as well. Hurray Canada lol.

So this brings up this thing:http://www.clearplex.com/products/copy-of-jeep-wrangler-windshield-protection-kit

With a new windshield, I'd hate to have keep replacing it over and over again. Has anybody used this or something similar? Thoughts?

These things smell like BS snake oil to me. Physics is physics. Windshields essentially have that impregnated into them. Windshields crack because of shock. This thing isn't going to remove the forces of a rock being thrown or anything like that. I don't see how that thing can possibly work against a crack inducing obstacle. Chip or pit? Sure, it might work, but not a crack. Take an extreme example...if I smash your window with a crowbar, it will break. If I smash it with this thing installed (which is almost the price of a windshield, and is garbage if your windshield needs to be replaced) it will still break the windshield. For $20, maybe I'd consider it, but for $156? No chance, but thats just my .02

GuillaumeC91

These things smell like BS snake oil to me. Physics is physics. Windshields essentially have that impregnated into them. Windshields crack because of shock. This thing isn't going to remove the forces of a rock being thrown or anything like that. I don't see how that thing can possibly work against a crack inducing obstacle. Chip or pit? Sure, it might work, but not a crack. Take an extreme example...if I smash your window with a crowbar, it will break. If I smash it with this thing installed (which is almost the price of a windshield, and is garbage if your windshield needs to be replaced) it will still break the windshield. For $20, maybe I'd consider it, but for $156? No chance, but thats just my .02

Haha I know I kinda felt the same way, except I'm paying 400$ for my windshield which made the 150$ sound not as bad lol. I was more hoping for a "this thing changed my life, never had a broken windshield since" type answer... lmao :rolleyes::thumbdown:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Haha I know I kinda felt the same way, except I'm paying 400$ for my windshield which made the 150$ sound not as bad lol. I was more hoping for a "this thing changed my life, never had a broken windshield since" type answer... lmao :rolleyes::thumbdown:

Are you going through the dealer for OEM spec glass? A quality "aftermarket" replacement (PGW, pilkington, etc) seems to range in the $250 area. OEM is made by all these companies by the way, only to a cheaper spec. Unless you have a German car with a rain sensing windshield, generally, OEM windshields are the worst because they are made by the same companies that provide the aftermarket units, but they are built to a budget.

GuillaumeC91

Are you going through the dealer for OEM spec glass? A quality "aftermarket" replacement (PGW, pilkington, etc) seems to range in the $250 area. OEM is made by all these companies by the way, only to a cheaper spec. Unless you have a German car with a rain sensing windshield, generally, OEM windshields are the worst because they are made by the same companies that provide the aftermarket units, but they are built to a budget.

This one is OEM, but you know what? I never even though of an aftermarket windshield. Weird, so you guys order aftermarket windshields and just get them installed? That's brilliant lol. Wonder if I could install a plexi? Haha

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
This one is OEM, but you know what? I never even though of an aftermarket windshield. Weird, so you guys order aftermarket windshields and just get them installed? That's brilliant lol. Wonder if I could install a plexi? Haha

Aftermarket glass isn't like other aftermarket parts. Chrysler doesn't produce their own, it's all subcontracted out to these companies....

http://www.glassbytes.com/newsChrysler20090520.htm

Generally, glass shops (or safelite) will replace your broken glass with "aftermarket glass" which comes from one of those companies directly, but since there is no middle man (Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc) it is usually cheaper. The most common aftermarket glass replacement is going to be Pilkington or PPG (now called PGW.) There is no difference between them, although I suspect (just from experience after owning many cars and replacing many windshields) that "OEM" glass is of cheaper quality because the auto company is trying to keep costs as low as possible. The Jeep is a bit different, because if you don't get "OEM" glass, you lose those little Jeep easter eggs. Doesn't matter to most, but matters to some. For me, if Im paying out of pocket, I much rather spend $200 and get aftermarket glass. My insurance covers glass at zero cost to me, and they fix it at my house or job, so I don't care what they use, it's all the same.

GuillaumeC91

Aftermarket glass isn't like other aftermarket parts. Chrysler doesn't produce their own, it's all subcontracted out to these companies....

http://www.glassbytes.com/newsChrysler20090520.htm

Generally, glass shops (or safelite) will replace your broken glass with "aftermarket glass" which comes from one of those companies directly, but since there is no middle man (Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc) it is usually cheaper. The most common aftermarket glass replacement is going to be Pilkington or PPG (now called PGW.) There is no difference between them, although I suspect (just from experience after owning many cars and replacing many windshields) that "OEM" glass is of cheaper quality because the auto company is trying to keep costs as low as possible. The Jeep is a bit different, because if you don't get "OEM" glass, you lose those little Jeep easter eggs. Doesn't matter to most, but matters to some. For me, if Im paying out of pocket, I much rather spend $200 and get aftermarket glass. My insurance covers glass at zero cost to me, and they fix it at my house or job, so I don't care what they use, it's all the same.

Interesting. I priced out both of them before and it turned out not to make much of a difference for me. I kinda wanted to keep the easter eggs but the aftermarket plain window was 379$ vs. 399$ for OEM. So either their bumping the prices up on the aftermarket to get you to go for OEM, or Canada just has crappy prices in everything automotive... lol

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Interesting. I priced out both of them before and it turned out not to make much of a difference for me. I kinda wanted to keep the easter eggs but the aftermarket plain window was 379$ vs. 399$ for OEM. So either their bumping the prices up on the aftermarket to get you to go for OEM, or Canada just has crappy prices in everything automotive... lol

Yea, seems like you crazy Canadians are gettin ripped off. :D

JK's JK

Banned
Out of Fresno, I bought a new windshield for the Jeep for $145. Thought that was a boom deal. I did call up another place and they quoted me $280 but they came to you.

loscann48

You think there would be a way to help prevent this besides not driving the jeep. Have owned my jeep for 9 months now...for the first 8, no problems... The last 3 weeks 2 cracked windshields, same spots. Starts near drivers side hood hinge comes up about 3 inches, then makes it way back to the bottom near the passengers side hood hinge. WTF...at this rate I'm thinking I should be stock in the local glass company. At least I have $0 deductible glass coverage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GuillaumeC91

Ah! 20,000kms on the Jeep and just got my 2nd crack. Always starts at exactly the same spot too. Worst is my insurance company doesn't offer glass coverage and my deductible is the same a paying for the windshield replacement out of my pocket...

Courtneypaige

Don't know if this thread is dead but I just busted my windshield the same way. I heard a rock hit earlier this week but no chips or cracks. Then a few days later, I was sitting in the Jeep letting it warm up and "pop"! There goes a crack! Started from the bottom of the windshield in the black area. I'm guessing this is common occurrence on the flat JK windshields lol just hurts a little when it's my first new vehicle with only 12000 KMs on it lol.:(

Exact same thing happened to me but nothing ever hit my windshield before. I was at 21,000 kms. chrystler covered it for free. Mopar windshield 800$ generic 450 in ontario

Courtney Paige <3

Top Bottom