Crunchy Manual Tranny!

cottrellsahara

I have a 2012 Unlimited sahara with the 6sp and i have plenty of experience with driving stick shift but for some reason in my jk the shifts are not always the smoothest, at least until its been running for 20 min or so and the engines fully warm does any one have the problem where it crunches like hell going into 2nd or a quick notch headed into 3rd is there anything I can do to stop this The jeep only has 21,000 miles on it and i feel like this shouldn't be happening even though it has been happening since day one of ownership. Any suggestions on things i can do

billybob990

I have a 2012 Unlimited sahara with the 6sp and i have plenty of experience with driving stick shift but for some reason in my jk the shifts are not always the smoothest, at least until its been running for 20 min or so and the engines fully warm does any one have the problem where it crunches like hell going into 2nd or a quick notch headed into 3rd is there anything I can do to stop this The jeep only has 21,000 miles on it and i feel like this shouldn't be happening even though it has been happening since day one of ownership. Any suggestions on things i can do

check your clutch fluid and it might have a air bubble in the line

billybob990

this common?

i dont own a jk or know there common problems, mines a tj but it could happen. i grew up working on cars but jeeps are a little iffy for me right now as im still learning but it sounds like your clutch isnt disengaging all the way and that is caused by low fluid and air bubbles in the lines if its not low then try and bleed the clutch.

cottrellsahara

i dont own a jk or know there common problems, mines a tj but it could happen. i grew up working on cars but jeeps are a little iffy for me right now as im still learning but it sounds like your clutch isnt disengaging all the way and that is caused by low fluid and air bubbles in the lines if its not low then try and bleed the clutch.

certainty worth taking a look at it

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yep, I have the same problem. It happens when the jeep is hot. I gave the dealer $50 to tell me nothing was wrong they couldn't replicate it

cottrellsahara

Yep, I have the same problem. It happens when the jeep is hot. I gave the dealer $50 to tell me nothing was wrong they couldn't replicate it

I knew i not alone n this one because when i ride in my buddies 2013 jk his crunches even harder than mine have you figured ot any ways to get around it crunching?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That could be it too, I just didn't think it would happen with in 21,000 miles though

I'm not surprised common issue on the older ones, the noise is when your pressing in the clutch and only when it's hot. If it were air, it would do it every time

FYI the clutch and anything connected to it is only covered for the first 12,000 miles or year.

They would cover the slave or mastercyclinder but they could not hear the noise when I took it in, so they charged me a hour shop rate because it's a clutch issue😞

rinkishjk

My 6pd felt notchy, so I changed the fluid to amsoil mt syndromesh fluid a long time ago, and it quieted it down and made it shift alot smoother. I've changed it twice I believe since the first install, and I have almost 60k running this fluid in the trans. No issues at all.
I did try the rp version and for the price I decided to stick with amsoil.

cottrellsahara

I'm not surprised common issue on the older ones, the noise is when your pressing in the clutch and only when it's hot. If it were air, it would do it every time

FYI the clutch and anything connected to it is only covered for the first 12,000 miles or year.

They would cover the slave or mastercyclinder but they could not hear the noise when I took it in, so they charged me a hour shop rate because it's a clutch issue

Only 12,000 miles!!!!! i thought the 36,000 mile 3 year was completely covering everything, that kind of blows

cottrellsahara

My 6pd felt notchy, so I changed the fluid to amsoil mt syndromesh fluid a long time ago, and it quieted it down and made it shift alot smoother. I've changed it twice I believe since the first install, and I have almost 60k running this fluid in the trans. No issues at all.
I did try the rp version and for the price I decided to stick with amsoil.

what does a tranny fluid change cost? and i think i am going to give this option a try this summer because it definitely notches a bunch in the lower gears surprisingly though for the past few weeks it has been shifting very smooth and only notches like once or twice each time i use it and this winter when it was freezing out it was basically every shift.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Only 12,000 miles!!!!! i thought the 36,000 mile 3 year was completely covering everything, that kind of blows

Yep, I was pissed. I told the dealer I was more upset they were not upfront on charging me for a warranty claim. Had they told me I would be charged I would not have had them look at it.

I could have replaced the slave at home for cheaper

cottrellsahara

Yep, I was pissed. I told the dealer I was more upset they were not upfront on charging me for a warranty claim. Had they told me I would be charged I would not have had them look at it.

I could have replaced the slave at home for cheaper

thats rediculous nor would I have it also doesnt help that the guys in the service departments are kind of huge jerks

billybob990

what does a tranny fluid change cost? and i think i am going to give this option a try this summer because it definitely notches a bunch in the lower gears surprisingly though for the past few weeks it has been shifting very smooth and only notches like once or twice each time i use it and this winter when it was freezing out it was basically every shift.

That sounds like a seal is going bad in your slave or master cylinder, but could also be a bubble. The bubble theory is hard to prove but when you change temps you change pressure and you would be surprised how little temp change can effect something when dealing with pressure. I'm in college for hvac and temp changes effects pressures like crazy

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That sounds like a seal is going bad in your slave or master cylinder, but could also be a bubble. The bubble theory is hard to prove but when you change temps you change pressure and you would be surprised how little temp change can effect something when dealing with pressure. I'm in college for hvac and temp changes effects pressures like crazy

Thanks, I'll try bleeding it. It's free to try!

Top Bottom