Crunchy Manual Tranny!

rinkishjk

what does a tranny fluid change cost? and i think i am going to give this option a try this summer because it definitely notches a bunch in the lower gears surprisingly though for the past few weeks it has been shifting very smooth and only notches like once or twice each time i use it and this winter when it was freezing out it was basically every shift.

Well if u do it yourself, I believe u need just over 2 qts. U fill it like a diff, until it comes out the fill hole. The drain can be a pita. I just use vise grips. I believe wol has a write up for it.

cottrellsahara

Well if u do it yourself, I believe u need just over 2 qts. U fill it like a diff, until it comes out the fill hole. The drain can be a pita. I just use vise grips. I believe wol has a write up for it.

i dont think i have the skills, tools or the garage to do this in but i could be wrong

bumpus

I'm pretty sure that the clutch on a JK is a sealed system. I don't think that there's anyway to bleed it.

Chaning the transmission fluid should be pretty easy. Remove the fill plug. Remove the drain plug. Catch the oil in a drain pan. Replace the drain plug. Add new fluid to the transmission (use a fluid pump from the parts store or a turkey baster (reserve for garage use, don't put it back in the kitchen). Replace the fill plug. Recycle old oil.

Holeshot

Banned
my 2012 do the same, as long as the tranny is not at normal working temp., the stick feels crunchy.

It feels like a syncro that is not doing its job correctly.

Will try the amsoil!

cottrellsahara

my 2012 do the same, as long as the tranny is not at normal working temp., the stick feels crunchy.

Will try the amsoil!

thats what my father thinks it is but i feel like new syncros would be a pricy repair.

Holeshot

Banned
As long as mine goes well... I only have 19 000kms on it, if something happen before the end of the warranty, it'll be covered.

ctlazer5

Will try the amsoil!

Mine only does it when its not fully warmed up. Do you think thats weird? Once its at normal temp seems to work fine just crunchy until warm.

ctlazer5

ditto for mine. Do it since new :thinking: normal? IDK

I don't think I'm going to worry to much about it. Think it might just be the quality of the tranny that Jeep puts in their products. "What, that noise? Yeah thats always been there" - Any jeep owner

Top Bottom