Steering assist or other options

DJCFHB

After a weekend off wheeling i snapped my sector shaft. Not sure if my next step should be hydro assist or just a stronger steering box and a sector shaft brace. My jeep is a dd and I have read of issue of running assist at hwy speed. Don't need to be darting across lanes unexpectedly
Any feedback/ recommendations would be appreciated.

well that sucks! how hard was it getting your jeep home?

i have thought about the brace, but have read/heard it doesnt happen often. might get it just for extra security.

andrew -

10frank9

Web Wheeler
After a weekend off wheeling i snapped my sector shaft. Not sure if my next step should be hydro assist or just a stronger steering box and a sector shaft brace. My jeep is a dd and I have read of issue of running assist at hwy speed. Don't need to be darting across lanes unexpectedly
Any feedback/ recommendations would be appreciated.

What size tires are you running and how long have you been running them?

StrizzyChris

What size tires are you running and how long have you been running them?

that was going to be my question...also are you running a lift with a drop pitman arm? Sector shaft breaks are not exclusive to them, but they are responsible for a great majority of them. It adds a lot of leverage and torque to the shaft, and when coupled with large tires it could and does cause issues.

With the hydro steering, if you are running 37"+ tires, I would run hydro assist. The majority of "flighty" issues are from hydro on < 35's and at high speeds.

DJCFHB

Luckily I had a donor steering box to get me home. I'm running 37 nitto trail grapplers(8 months) on evo bolt on coilovers with the draglink flip. No drop pitman arm. I'm not a idiot of a driver either, I try challenging obstacles and trails but always keep in the front off my mind that I have to drive my rig home. Usually far cause I live in south Mississippi ( no wheeling spots their).

Last edited:

DJCFHB

well that sucks! how hard was it getting your jeep home?

i have thought about the brace, but have read/heard it doesnt happen often. might get it just for extra security.

andrew -

I read and heard the same so I didn't get a brace. Hindsights 20/20

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you be so sure that you wouldn't have still broken your sector shaft with a brace? Guess we'll never know. I run practically the same set up and with what feels like manual steering due to a failed attempt at installing a PSC without a be pump or reservoir. I can assure you that what i have is harder to steer than a stock steering setup. Maybe I don't wheel hard enough but, I don't have a brace and have no worries about not having one. But hey, that's just me and I've actually broken a sector shaft in the past too.

Regarding ram assists, steering is very responsive but far from difficult to handle at highway speeds.

DJCFHB

Can you be so sure that you wouldn't have still broken your sector shaft with a brace? Guess we'll never know. I run practically the same set up and with what feels like manual steering due to a failed attempt at installing a PSC without a be pump or reservoir. I can assure you that what i have is harder to steer than a stock steering setup. Maybe I don't wheel hard enough but, I don't have a brace and have no worries about not having one. But hey, that's just me and I've actually broken a sector shaft in the past too.

Regarding ram assists, steering is very responsive but far from difficult to handle at highway speeds.

Guess we'll never know. And I agree with a previous post you made that its just a band aid.
Thanks for the input on the ram assist

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks again. my next question, is it worth while to use the psc steering box or have mine rebuilt and ported.

If you have the old Delphi box, just use it. If not, get the PSC box as it will be the better built Delphi.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Normally I do but I didn't this 3k because I'm waiting on my tax return so I can throw on my lift. My toyo 37 are sitting in my bedroom and my wife is furious lol

DJCFHB

Just to follow up, Installed the psc kit this weekend. Was quite time consuming mainly due to the fact i was making the kit work with my supercharger, had to pull the blower off to get to the pumps and pulleys. Took some grinding and test fitting to get everything to fit. I have almost no room in the engine bay now but i am quit happy with the results. Thanks again for the input from everyone.

StrizzyChris

If you have the old Delphi box, just use it. If not, get the PSC box as it will be the better built Delphi.

I had a quick question about this. I found a ported box from a 2010 for sale. Are all the steering components cross compatible with the 2012/13 JK's? I thought something was changed and thats where you ran into issues installing a PSC system in RubiCat :thinking:

Top Bottom