38.5" on D44s?

desertrunner

with front sleeves, C gussets, chromoly shafts (front and rear) and maybe add trusses front and rear. Is it plausible to be able to run BFG 39x13.5R17 ture 38.5" Krawlers and still run it decently hard on the trail? or am i better off saving for the 60s?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I would be weary running anything larger than 37's on a D44. Even with 37's you running the risk of burning up your steering box. Mind as well drop some 60s on and run 40's.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
yea I'm nervous about running 37's on my 2012 rubi after all the problems I had with running 35s on my 2009 X.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Also, I might point out that running odd size tires can become real inconvenient in wheeling emergencies. I have had to barrow a spare before.

kimer82

im 40" nitto muds on custom d60 front and stock d44.

went out to test it out and in 15 minutes the tube twisted off of factory casing. atm welded the thing and driving but will be upgrading it to dana60 soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I would first recommend that you stick to common size tires like a 37" or 40" tire and second, I would definitely play with what you got and save up for a 60. I just makes more sense.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
As mentioned above, D44 max is 37". You can build the heck out of your D44 (I did it all) but that doesn't change the size of the R&P and that is why you need a D60 for above 37".

Beyrgut

So not to hijack (ok maybe a little), with current plan of not going bigger than a 35 is the Pro-Rock 44 enough or should I save for a 60. I have the D30 on my rig now and have seen where some say its not enough and go D44 but what is the limit? Right now I plan on milking the D30 with 3.21 gears as long as possible while saving for the Pro-Rock 44 to be geared 4.88 and re-gearing the rear 44 to match.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yeah thats kinda what i figured the answer would be oh well time to start stashing cash away for 60s :rock:

That's what we're doing with our 2012, playing as long as we can on our 44 until we can afford to upgrade to a 60.

So not to hijack (ok maybe a little), with current plan of not going bigger than a 35 is the Pro-Rock 44 enough or should I save for a 60. I have the D30 on my rig now and have seen where some say its not enough and go D44 but what is the limit? Right now I plan on milking the D30 with 3.21 gears as long as possible while saving for the Pro-Rock 44 to be geared 4.88 and re-gearing the rear 44 to match.

With 35's, you can make a D30 work a long time. Being that you're in FL, maybe even longer. If you plan on playing hard on the rocks in the future, a PR44 will give you what you need. A 60 is really for 37's or bigger.

Top Bottom