Windshield vs fairlead mounted lights

Lane87

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to mounting aux lights to the fairlead rather than to the base of the windshield?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer to run my aux lights on the bumper above the fairlead. Windshield lights are nice and will get them up higher but, they do glare on the hood. Most people are okay with this but, I find it a little distracting.

Lane87

I prefer to run my aux lights on the bumper above the fairlead. Windshield lights are nice and will get them up higher but, they do glare on the hood. Most people are okay with this but, I find it a little distracting.

That's what I was thinking with the glare. What kind of mount do you use with the offset roller fairlead. I've only been able to find mounts for centered fairleads.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I was thinking with the glare. What kind of mount do you use with the offset roller fairlead. I've only been able to find mounts for centered fairleads.

On our white Jeep, I drilled a hole on top of the driver side roller mount, stacked a couple of thick washers and attached a light there. On the passenger side, I drilled a hole there too but bolted on a piece of bar stock to offset the light.

On our dozer Jeep, I just installed an EVO light mount and it does the same thing :D

Lane87

On our white Jeep, I drilled a hole on top of the driver side roller mount, stacked a couple of thick washers and attached a light there. On the passenger side, I drilled a hole there too but bolted on a piece of bar stock to offset the light.

On our dozer Jeep, I just installed an EVO light mount and it does the same thing :D

Great thanks!

suicideking

Aren't they more likely to get smashed if they're on the front like that? I figured I would use the windshield mounts for that reason.

Lane87

Aren't they more likely to get smashed if they're on the front like that? I figured I would use the windshield mounts for that reason.

that's a good point as well but i think having a stinger or some kind of bar would protect them just fine.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
as others have said evo does make a mount....but i still cant find it anywhere....guess i should just call evo direct but rather go through northridge since i need to order other parts

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

that's a good point as well but i think having a stinger or some kind of bar would protect them just fine.

What Lane said. So long as you have a stinger or other protection up front, you will be fine.

as others have said evo does make a mount....but i still cant find it anywhere....guess i should just call evo direct but rather go through northridge since i need to order other parts

Let Northridge know that this is what you want. They have a lot of pull and can get them from EVO.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I asked about a week or more ago about it and they said they were adding it onto the website but it never showed up. I just enjoy the free shipping and theres always more things I will get to be able to use it, esp with the bracket since it costs around 50

TacPen

Banned

Is this better / worse depending on whether you're running a flood / spot pattern on the beams or glare is glare and it's don't matter?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this better / worse depending on whether you're running a flood / spot pattern on the beams or glare is glare and it's don't matter?

It's definitely better with a light that has a narrower beam than a wide one but, the glare is still there. There are companies that make shields to help prevent this but, they look kinda lame. I'm not saying that windshield lights are bad but, not something I personally prefer because of the glare. Maybe it has something to do with my eyes and having a hard time with lights at night in general.

Lane87

Eddie, I assume you run them the same route as the winch wiring, but what did you do to keep the light wiring clear from the winch cable and still make it look nice?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I assume you run them the same route as the winch wiring, but what did you do to keep the light wiring clear from the winch cable and still make it look nice?

I'll try to take a pic and post it up soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here you go...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365606966.465656.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365606978.215992.jpg

Basically, just wrapped the wires in plastic conduit and routed them around the winch. :yup:

Top Bottom