pinch seam trim

desertrunner

does any one know of a good way to trim the pinch seam in the rear wheel well to get more clearance in the rear? i might have to do a little trimming of the rubi rails and bumper too

desertrunner

well i kinda figured that :bleh: what i mean was like cutting slats in it an fold it back or just cut it off and how far can i go?

Beyrgut

I think there is a weld/rivet spot on the bottom (small notch) and one on the vertical side that you can basically draw a line from leaving them in place that should do. Then all you have to do is fill and clean up with JB Weld and black paint, at least thats my plan.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Did this a couple weeks ago to my 2door "Creeper." Used a sawzall with a metal blade, sandpaper and black paint. Trimmed the front and rear pinch seam to the rear wheel wells and the rubi rails.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365568343.775608.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1365568352.017794.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
well i kinda figured that :bleh: what i mean was like cutting slats in it an fold it back or just cut it off and how far can i go?

You can go back pretty far but it isn't needed unless you are trying to clear really big tires with a small amount of lift like what we have on Moby.

desertrunner

You can go back pretty far but it isn't needed unless you are trying to clear really big tires with a small amount of lift like what we have on Moby.

37s on a 3.5" i have already had to hammer back the pinch seam in the rear on the trail a little bit after it sliced some tread off my tire. Figured i might as well cut it now before i paint it since i just chopped the factory fenders and the white wheel well looks kinda funny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
37s on a 3.5" i have already had to hammer back the pinch seam in the rear on the trail a little bit after it sliced some tread off my tire. Figured i might as well cut it now before i paint it since i just chopped the factory fenders and the white wheel well looks kinda funny

Yeah, cut away and really, if it's not enough, cut away more later. I've had to do it a few times now due to the growing tire sizes we've run over the years :crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Bringing this thread back to life due to having a question

So i just ordered my 35" nitto muds and im going to be doing a trim here in the very near future. my question is what did everyone use to fill/cover what you trimmed off? if it makes a difference since im on the East coast i will be seeing more water crossings and mud then most of you western guys.

Bringing this thread back to life due to having a question

So i just ordered my 35" nitto muds and im going to be doing a trim here in the very near future. my question is what did everyone use to fill/cover what you trimmed off? if it makes a difference since im on the East coast i will be seeing more water crossings and mud then most of you western guys.

Wrenchin' party....... we can trim yours then do mine for the future mods:idontknow:

mtnbiker995

You can use the spray expanding foam and then black silicone to smooth off the end of it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

devwil68

Dremel is your best friend! Love that tool!

I used the clear spray seal. Thinking about painting the underside of the fender black though...looks like they got lazy with the paint when I came to that area.

optimus prime

This is what I did.

I cut the seam with a sawzall (Reciprocating Saw) with a Bi- Metal Blade then used the piece I cut off as a pattern to cut the insert then the insert was welded in place. Because I am running 40" tires I had to cut a lot away so welding in the cover plate retained some of the structural integrity it had before the cut.

IMG_2809.jpg IMG_2810.jpg IMG_2811.jpg IMG_2812.jpg IMG_2813.jpg

mikefishes

When you say "pretty far" back... Can you give a rough measurement? I cut all I could without going into the thicker "bubble" part and I'm rubbing. It's weird that it didn't rub at all after the initial trim. Could the springs have settled a bit since the lift install a few months ago?

Top Bottom