Steering Wheel Locking Up

bendalton

I just bought myself a 2007 JKU Sahara a week ago and I got a good deal after searching other places and with the help of people on this forum that I really appreciate. So I bought it and took it to a Jeep dealership so they could look at it to see if anything was wrong with it and all they said was that I needed new brakes, so I got those and went on my merry way. But today I was driving back home and my steering all of sudden locked up and was very hard to turn into my neighborhood and everything on my dash looked as if the car was off. My speedometer was on 0 as long as the RPM and the fuel gauge went to empty as well. But the radio was still working. Once I got in my neighborhood I stopped the car and turned it off and back on and everything was fine, but I dont want that to happen again when I cant shut the car off. Do any of y'all know what might be the problem? Thanks in advance

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if the motor had stopped running during that time, you would have lost your power steering as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know why/how this happened?

Did your engine cut out? If so, I've seen where a poor connection to your battery allowed the lead to bounce off the terminal on a bump can cut out and then fall back in place allowing you to start your motor again. I might look there first as it would be an easy fix.

bendalton

Well everything looked perfectly fine with the battery. I really just dont want this to happen when im on the highway or something. I think i might just run down to Bridgestone and see if they can see anything out of the usual

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well everything looked perfectly fine with the battery. I really just dont want this to happen when im on the highway or something. I think i might just run down to Bridgestone and see if they can see anything out of the usual

Yeah my engine cut off

I would definitely have your dealership scan your computer as a cutoff like that most likely threw a code.

rinkishjk

A bad crank position sensor would cause this, and prob threw a code.
It could also be some other sensor. I would have it scanned. Did u try the key trick to see if there is a code?

bendalton

Well I went to Goodyear and they said nothing was wrong. But do you guys still think i should go to the dealership?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I went to Goodyear and they said nothing was wrong. But do you guys still think i should go to the dealership?

A dealership would be able to hook up a Scan tool to your computer and it will show any codes or electrical problems you may of had. Goodyear will not be able to do this.

bendalton

Oh okay. How much do you think they are gonna charge me for something like this? I know dealerships like for you to open your wallet as much as possible :banghead:

TacPen

Banned
O'Reilly's Auto Parts also has a deal out here where they'll plug an ODB2 scanner to your vehicle and check for any codes. Best part? It's free!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
O'Reilly's Auto Parts also has a deal out here where they'll plug an ODB2 scanner to your vehicle and check for any codes. Best part? It's free!

This is true but they'll just use a standard OBDII reader and can only offer you basic codes. Your dealership will use a Chrysler Star Scan tool and if you've ever seen one, the information you get is a lot more detailed and comprehensive.

Top Bottom