Tranny Fluid Leak?

Hack12

Just had my tranny fluid changed at the dealership about a month ago and today I noticed some fluid leaking out of the seem on the drivers side. I had them do the 60k pan drop and filter change. The fluid isn't dripping, but I have noticed it collecting on the skid plate below a bit and you can definitely see some on the seem where the gasket is. Just wondering if a little fluid seeping out is normal or something I should bring it back in to have checked?
Here are a couple pics.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366047019.908408.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366047029.052619.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366047040.048879.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1366047046.865410.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I can tell you is that it's common to not get a good gasket going when reinstalling a tranny pan. With the exhaust cross over in the way and all the undulations on the bottom of the tranny, it's hard to do right but, if done right, you shouldn't have any leaks.

Hack12

Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. Looks like another fun day waiting for my Jeep at the dealership. Thanks Eddie!

I would personally take it back to them. As Eddie said, it is difficult to get a good seal. But if it is already leaking after a month, what is going to happen after 15k miles? They charged you for the work, they should be able to do it right! It doesnt look too bad now, just think it will get worse. Have them fix it!

Hack12

Yeah, you aren't kidding. They charged a pretty penny too. Definitely gonna make an appointment for later on this week.

Hack12

Just made an appointment at the dealership for Wednesday morning. At their usual rate of speed, it looks like another day of my life will be lost. Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just made an appointment at the dealership for Wednesday morning. At their usual rate of speed, it looks like another day of my life will be lost. Lol

Yeah, it sucks but, better to get this taken care of now than to wait for it to be a real problem.

Hack12

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. Even if only to avoid hearing them try to weasel their way out of whatever problem ends up surfacing.

Hack12

Turns out the leak came from the quick connect piece above the tranny. $66 later and the leak is fixed. Happy ending.

They also replaced the fuel filler neck under the extended warranty. Now let's see if I can fill up gas like a normal person again!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out the leak came from the quick connect piece above the tranny. $66 later and the leak is fixed. Happy ending.

They also replaced the fuel filler neck under the extended warranty. Now let's see if I can fill up gas like a normal person again!

No kidding, the quick connect eh? In Moab this year, mcpuck's quick connect came off while on the trail and sprayed ATF all over the cat resulting in an engine fire. It's a good thing you caught this and got it fixed.

Hack12

It was a crazy coincidence too. I just happened to be under there screwing in metal hose clamps to alleviate the rattling I was getting from my exhaust heat shield when I noticed the fluid.

Luck was on my side.

jeeeep

Hooked
I thought Chrysler had issued a service bulletin to repair under warranty leaking connection on tranny lines?? maybe for older JK's?

Hack12

I thought Chrysler had issued a service bulletin to repair under warranty leaking connection on tranny lines?? maybe for older JK's?

They sure did. I had mine replaced last month under the extended warranty. However, when I asked today they said these clips aren't covered under that warranty. I was disappointed, but not surprised.

Top Bottom