Learning the hard way

Tranquillity

This happened to me a month ago. I was in my backyard removing my hard top and go stuck in the snow. Got it on the 4L, cramped my wheel then I heard one nasty "clunk". So I shoveled my way back in the driveway to check out what happened and I found this, which left me speechless.

IMG_2736_zps49fe5791.jpg

IMG_2744_zps093ca04c.jpg

The front U joint snapped, but as you can see. On one side the bushing was completely torn out which deformed the front axle-shaft from direct metal contact.

I probably wheeled like that for months and "by chance" it snapped on my backyard. Could have been worse.

Funny thing is that I installed the C gusset a couple weeks before that happened, and I made a check up under the jeep. Seems it never have been on the damaged side when I was checking. Felt so dumb anyway :doh:

I wonder how I never felt anything unusual though...

Anyway, just sharing a personal experience. If it could save one's front axle-shaft lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, this is a common sight with factory shafts. Once the ears start to wollow out a bit, the c-clips can work themselves off. Once off, the bearing caps can fall out and that'll leave your trunnion to get torn off like you see here or worse. Just be glad that you weren't moving fast as that could have taken out your ball joints too.

Tranquillity

Unfortunately, this is a common sight with factory shafts. Once the ears start to wollow out a bit, the c-clips can work themselves off. Once off, the bearing caps can fall out and that'll leave your trunnion to get torn off like you see here or worse. Just be glad that you weren't moving fast as that could have taken out your ball joints too.

Tanks for the head's up. I will check it more often and more carefully! Since it's common that explain why it passed on the warranty without arguing :bleh:

Top Bottom