Is it normal? To figure out engine light

tkkim

I went to dealer ship in the morning, and they said just leave jeep and wait in home. They need a day to figure out what is problem..

But i saw some posting that show some machine can show simple code what is problem of engine..

Do i just have to wait?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, you're at their mercy. While it can only take 15 min to check out, I doubt they would just drop what they're doing to look at your Jeep.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
It's normal. The code can point you in the right direction but figuring out the issue can be another story. For example, my engine light keeps showing code that means a small leak in evap system code. Had it looked at a few time and a few hoses replaced, still keep getting code after a year.

rinkishjk

Unfortunately, you're at their mercy. While it can only take 15 min to check out, I doubt they would just drop what they're doing to look at your Jeep.

I completely agree as I worked at a few dealers. Unless u know a tech there that can look at it after work, u just have to drop it off and deal with the wait. If it's simple u might have it back tomorrow!

Briguy114

It's normal. The code can point you in the right direction but figuring out the issue can be another story. For example, my engine light keeps showing code that means a small leak in evap system code. Had it looked at a few time and a few hoses replaced, still keep getting code after a year.

I had this same thing on my 07 JK. I replaced the fuel vapor leak detection pump and its been fine since.

tkkim

I went to dealer ship in the morning, and they said just leave jeep and wait in home. They need a day to figure out what is problem..

But i saw some posting that show some machine can show simple code what is problem of engine..

Do i just have to wait?

ok hopefully they just change my cylinder head..

weird thing is the 'tick' sound started from 5k mi and after 15k mi the sound has changed.. sounds like more faster beat 'tick'...

I wish they can fix my jeep before next monday that day I have reservation at EVO to re-gear!.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

You have an evap leak code? Check your gas cap. I've seen it on over two dozen different cars. It the simples and the first place I always look, and many times, it is the culprit. It is so simple most dealers don't even do it. On my friends Honda, they damn near replaced the entire fuel system until they figured out it was just a bad seal on the gas cap.

Briguy114

You have an evap leak code? Check your gas cap. I've seen it on over two dozen different cars. It the simples and the first place I always look, and many times, it is the culprit. It is so simple most dealers don't even do it. On my friends Honda, they damn near replaced the entire fuel system until they figured out it was just a bad seal on the gas cap.

Trust me, I went through this a couple months ago. I was getting a P0440 code. The dealer even gave me a brand new gas cap and that didn't work. Replace the fuel vapor leak detection pump. Its like an $8 part. I replaced mine and the check engine light has not come back. Super easy to do and you don't even need any tools

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

ok hopefully they just change my cylinder head..

weird thing is the 'tick' sound started from 5k mi and after 15k mi the sound has changed.. sounds like more faster beat 'tick'...

I wish they can fix my jeep before next monday that day I have reservation at EVO to re-gear!.

They took an hour to read my code and said that it was a misfire in #5 cylinder, and that they needed a couple days to take it apart to figure out the issue. Ended up needing to replace the head and it took 6 days from drop off to pick up. (it was over the weekend and they had to order the parts) Since yours is tuesday, cross your fingers and hope for friday. Good luck.

Oh and the ticking getting louder is par for the course.

FallonJeeper

I had the evap code during cold weather. It turned out to be a loose filter on my cold air intake. Tightened the filter, haven't seen it again.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I've been through several gas caps and has not solved the issue. The last one I bought, I made sure it was from dealership and and OEM replacement part. The code was reset and then a few weeks later, back again.

Hohertz

Trust me, I went through this a couple months ago. I was getting a P0440 code. The dealer even gave me a brand new gas cap and that didn't work. Replace the fuel vapor leak detection pump. Its like an $8 part. I replaced mine and the check engine light has not come back. Super easy to do and you don't even need any tools

Mind pointing me in the direction of where you found a replacement fuel vapor leak detection pump? Or have a part number? Thanks!

pedroj14

Mind pointing me in the direction of where you found a replacement fuel vapor leak detection pump? Or have a part number? Thanks!

Mopar PN is 04891685AA/04861962AA if I am not mistaken. Good luck and let us know if its replacement worked out for you.

Hohertz

Mopar PN is 04891685AA/04861962AA if I am not mistaken. Good luck and let us know if its replacement worked out for you.

Thanks for the PNs.

Last night I looked at my work order receipt from the shop that I had taken it to in December to have the check engine light fixed. Turns out this is the part that they've already replaced and said it fixed the problem. The check engine light came back on the next day... I'll be taking it back to them to see if they further pinpoint/fix the issue. I'm showing P0440 and "gascap" lights on my dash that come right back even after clearing them with my superchip programmer. I've also looked at my gascap seal and its seems to be in good shape (was replaced just 1.5yrs ago). I'll update once I hopefully get it fixed.

Hohertz

I've had my Jeep out of the shop now since Saturday with no check engine light popping (keeping my fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:). The mechanic said they did a full smoke leak test and couldn't find anything but did disconnect some tube/hoses around the leak detection pump that they replaced, cleaned them up really good and reinstalled them and the light went off. So might have been some dirt clogging them up or allowing for a small leak. So far so good and better yet the mechanic didn't charge me for any of the work this time around as I had previously been there to have it fixed. That's as it should be but is still appreciated as most other shops would have likely charged for the smoke detection test. :beer:

Top Bottom