Jeepers Jamboree Rubicon Trail July 26-28, 2013

k9king78

All signed up for my first Jeepers Jamboree and first trip on the Rubicon trail. Anyone else going or have any suggestions?

SantaMonica

Get your money back and go with us for free. I think the forum trip is scheduled for the weekend of July 11th...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The trip to the Rubicon Springs is easy and nice thanks to all the road construction and spotting provided by the Jamboree. It can still be slow going thanks to all the drunks on the trail though. Camp fills up fast with tents practically stacked on top of each other and in some places, it'll look like a refugee camp. I would recommend you head out early if you hope to find a decent spot. It's a crazy drunken orgy of a party until the wee hours of the night and if you're hoping to get a decent night sleep, you'll want to setup far from the springs but, being further away means you'll have more of a hike to get to the dining area and party grounds. It's worth going once for the experience but, not something I would do again.

k9king78

The trip to the Rubicon Springs is easy and nice thanks to all the road construction and spotting provided by the Jamboree. It can still be slow going thanks to all the drunks on the trail though. Camp fills up fast with tents practically stacked on top of each other and in some places, it'll look like a refugee camp. I would recommend you head out early if you hope to find a decent spot. It's a crazy drunken orgy of a party until the wee hours of the night and if you're hoping to get a decent night sleep, you'll want to setup far from the springs but, being further away means you'll have more of a hike to get to the dining area and party grounds. It's worth going once for the experience but, not something I would do again.

Eddie, just read your response and a little bummed now. Does the Jamboree bypass sections that makes it an easy drive? Am I wasting $700.00?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, just read your response and a little bummed now. Does the Jamboree bypass sections that makes it an easy drive? Am I wasting $700.00?

The Rubicon as a whole is a much easier trail than it was just 3-4 years ago. Don't get me wrong, it's still a tough trail and there are still a few really challenging sections but, they are optional. The Jeepers Jamboree try to make it so that everyone gets through without too much trouble. For this, they do a lot of rock stacking and have spotters on all more challenging obstacles. For someone new to the trail, this can be a good thing but, for someone looking for a challenge, not so much. Are you wasting your money? That would depend on you. If you're enjoy big crowds and a party atmosphere, it's totally worth it. They'll feed you well and fix you up if you break down at one of two repair stations - Buck Island Lake and Rubicon Springs. All they ask for is for you to pay for any parts you might need and would appreciate a tip. If you enjoy getting away from crowds and enjoying the beauty of the Sierra's, it may not be for you.

jelliott076

This does sound like a good time, but way too many people on the trail. I still have not gotten to run the Rubicon and would love to try to do it this year.

--Eddie, with that many people going how often are Jeeps getting broken into like what happened to Adam at KOH? I'd imagine there's always one dude in the group who ruins it for the crowd.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This does sound like a good time, but way too many people on the trail. I still have not gotten to run the Rubicon and would love to try to do it this year.

--Eddie, with that many people going how often are Jeeps getting broken into like what happened to Adam at KOH? I'd imagine there's always one dude in the group who ruins it for the crowd.

For the record, I was not in Hammertown. I was at a hotel in town so it wasn't the same crowd. Just so local towny drug addict looking for a quick score.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

While I'm sure it can happen, I've never heard of it being a problem. There are just so many people all around you, in a lot of cases, right on top of each other. I think it would be hard to lift something without someone seeing it happen.

If it works out, you should come join us.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note there are two different Jamborees. The first is the "Jeepers" Jamboree which happens on the last weekend of July and allows any vehicle to come and the second is the "Jeep" Jamboree which happens on the first week of August and is more Jeep specific. The later is a smaller run and a lot more tame.

Top Bottom