Ever see a jeep swimming pool?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Went out to the jeep after being home for only an hour. It was not raining when I got home and when it started it wasn't raining super hard. This is what I found. Not too happy with my trektop right now. Guess I have a phone call to make in the morning.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367801960.422875.jpg

Picture doesn't really show everything but the roll bar padding was soaked as well.

Skirmish

Got caught in a huge storm in Big Bear on Gold Mountain without a top. Had so much water in the floor my mats were floating. I had white caps rolling through on the way down. Every time I started or stopped for the next few hours I got rained on from my header.

Got to find my drain plugs though so I learned something that day.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1367802515.392997.jpg

Getting wet with a top on would not make me happy.

MTG

Caught the Bug
That sucks!!

Got ask though...had you finished installing it? :cheesy:

Can you tell where it's leaking? Is it a seal or the top itself. I had an issue on day one of JKX. I had pinched the channel on the door seal and water ways pouring in my jeep from the rain. Text me if you need a pic of what I am talking about.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That sucks!!

Got ask though...had you finished installing it? :cheesy:

Can you tell where it's leaking? Is it a seal or the top itself. I had an issue on day one of JKX. I had pinched the channel on the door seal and water ways pouring in my jeep from the rain. Text me if you need a pic of what I am talking about.

I think its from where the top meets the door surround.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer. More than likely it's coming where the windshield, door and top meet. Pretty common on any top including the factory hard top. It's a hard point to get sealed up being that everything comes off or opens up right there.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Bummer. More than likely it's coming where the windshield, door and top meet. Pretty common on any top including the factory hard top. It's a hard point to get sealed up being that everything comes off or opens up right there.

That's where I think it's coming from but never had that issue with my factory top. This top leaks there and at the seams in the rear too. A lot more then I would expect it to. I wouldn't be worried if it was a little or a few drops like the factory but this seemed like a lot to me.:idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's where I think it's coming from but never had that issue with my factory top. This top leaks there and at the seams in the rear too. A lot more then I would expect it to. I wouldn't be worried if it was a little or a few drops like the factory but this seemed like a lot to me.:idontknow:

I'm with you. Water dribbling in from the surround gutters is one thing but what this looks like is bad fit of the top to the windshield header. If you have enough of a gap there, water will channel along the rubber seal toward the edge and get funneled into the cab.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm with you. Water dribbling in from the surround gutters is one thing but what this looks like is bad fit of the top to the windshield header. If you have enough of a gap there, water will channel along the rubber seal toward the edge and get funneled into the cab.

I'll have to pull it apart in the morning and see what's up with it.

JAGS

Hooked
I've been seeing this issue coming up a bit more with the trek tops. Did they change something in the fitment on the newer tops? Eddie, I know you have an older trek and a newer trek. Any difference on gaping or materials.

Top Bottom