Singing Sand Dunes Camping Trip - POSTPONED

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rising 650 feet up in the heart of the Mojave National Preserve, the Kelso Sand Dunes are the largest field of eolian sand deposits in the Mojave Desert and, one of only four places on the face of the planet where you can experience the phenomenon known as singing sand, or "booming dunes". This isn't something you can just hear, it's something you can feel in the sand beneath your feet as well. No joke, this video clip is from a trip we did a couple of years back and, it's what it really sounds like...

It should be noted that it takes a very specific set of conditions to make the sand dunes sing and there's no guarantee that it'll happen for us but, this is where we're going this weekend and what we're hoping to experience. If you're interested, we invite you to join us this coming Saturday. You can definitely do this as a day trip but, if you can, I think you'll find it to be more fun to camp with us too.

The Plan
Cindy and I may try to head out on Friday to secure a camp site at the base of the Kelso Dunes. I'll will confirm this as we get closer to the end of the week. If we do head out early, the plan will be for you to meet us there on Saturday. We won't plan on making the hike to the top of the dunes until close to sunset so you're more than welcome to come anytime before that. If you're planning to stay the night with us, there are vault toilets available but no trash facilities so be sure to plan and pack out what you pack in. You should know that the weather is predicted to be in the 90's by day and 70's by night so please pack accordingly and be prepared to do some hiking. Also, you'll need to be responsible for your own food and water and the rule of thumb for that is 1 gallon of water per person per day. Fires are allowed so please pack at least one bundle of wood as well.

To get there, simply take I-40 east, exit on Kelbaker Rd. and go north, drive 14.5 miles up to Kelso Dunes Rd. and turn left and follow the road to the end - you will see us there.

Of course, if we decide to head out on Saturday, we'll make plans where we can meet up in Victorville or Barstow. Either way, I'll post up an update. :cool:

Who's Coming List
1. Cindy & Eddie
2. Moochie

Maybe List
1. JKRay

:cool:

DManuel

Singing Sand Dunes Camping Trip - 5/11/13

Oh man, sounds awesome, wish we could join you,,will have to be another time as Dave is working Saturday and we have a family event on Saturday night.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Singing Sand Dunes Camping Trip - 5/11/13

I am 95% in for this. I have something to do in riverside on Saturday morning and then would head out after. I just have a lot of work to do around the house and a little on the jeep before then. I will let you know Thursday for sure.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Wish I could go. I wanted to do that since you posted up that video before. I'll be camping in my office of the weekend. :grayno:

I've heard that there is a place nearby that does the same thing. Might need to go look into that as a more realistic adventure. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wish I could go. I wanted to do that since you posted up that video before. I'll be camping in my office of the weekend. :grayno:

I've heard that there is a place nearby that does the same thing. Might need to go look into that as a more realistic adventure. :thumb:

Yup, Sand Mountain east of Fallon. :yup:

LetsGoMuddin

I live a little too far east and I don't have a Jeep yet:cheesy: but, will there be a video that I can be excited for?:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry folks, there's been a last minute change in plans and this trip will now be postponed. In lieu of all the folks that want to join us for the Memorial Day weekend run, we'll be heading up to Bridgeport instead to do some scouting. Anyway, if you were hoping to join us on this trip, we'll still keep it in mind and hope to do it soon.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
We've been out there but haven't climbed the dunes to hear it sing... not yet anyway :cool:

It's an interesting place. Don't bother going on a weekend, especially a three day weekend, because it's a death trap with all of the drunk horsepower hounds.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's an interesting place. Don't bother going on a weekend, especially a three day weekend, because it's a death trap with all of the drunk horsepower hounds.

Oh, I can imagine. We went on a weekday and it looked tempting to check out. We really like it out in that area in general as there is a lot of history.

Sorry folks, there's been a last minute change in plans and this trip will now be postponed. In lieu of all the folks that want to join us for the Memorial Day weekend run, we'll be heading up to Bridgeport instead to do some scouting. Anyway, if you were hoping to join us on this trip, we'll still keep it in mind and hope to do it soon.

Please update us when/if your new date for this trip gets planned, we would love to join y'all for the first time!

jelliott076

Eddie,
I'm with CombatJK: This sounds way too cool to miss. I'll be waiting to see the dates and will do my best to make it.

Top Bottom