64.1 KB · Views: 192
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 190
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 192

TrailBear

Pull the cover, clean and re-seal, I think the cover hangs a little lower then the housing and you can grind it flush to prevent it from happening again.

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

dahreno

Banned
I would change out the crappy factory cover for a good one . Why put back on a piece of tin ? I have changed out both of mine . Go to 4 wheel parts in thousand oaks and ask for John , he is the one in a wheel chair . Tell him Dave with the Willys sent you .

jeeeep

Hooked
same thing happened on mine - pulled it off, cleaned- fitted and marked that small portion that hangs low and took a grinder to it.

The stock covers are actually pretty strong. Use Permatex 'The Right Stuff' to reseal it.

might also paint it while it's off

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, just pull the cover, grind the bottom lip a bit and reinstall with some Right Stuff by Permatex. New covers are nice and I love the look of them but not really necessary.

Napalm90

I did the same thing lol, hit it with a BFh re seal and refil, order new covers

Sent via carrier pigeon

MNTN JK

Ya I did Heartbreak Ridge in the SB MNTNS two weeks ago and after the run noticed my rear diff was banged up amd leaking a bit. I plan on putting on an ARB cover soon but I banged mine a few times with a 2 lb hammer and it sealed right up but I know ill hit it again out there....

dgriz

Yep, easy fix. I ended up having to take a file to the bottom and inside face because I ended up with a lip that wouldn't allow the cover to seat properly. Good opportunity to change your fluids anyway. While you are in there, clean out the gears and housing really good with some brake cleaner before putting everything back together and refilling.

Top Bottom