JK Sound System Upgrade

JK_Jonny305

I'm looking to upgrade my sound system but I'm not to saavy when it comes to sound equipment. I know I want to get an amp and a sub and eventually upgrade the stock speakers. I've gone to a few shops and most recommend a 5 channel amp and two 10" or 12" subwoofers. I want to know what you are running and how satisfied you are with it. Some pricing idea wouldn't hurt either. Thanks!

BTW: The amps i am considering are the Alpine MRXV70 and the Kicker ZX700.5. The subs are either a single Kicker TCVT122 or two Pioneer TS-W304R. This will be installed tomorrow as I want to be rockin' by Go Topless Day. :rock:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm looking to upgrade my sound system but I'm not to saavy when it comes to sound equipment. I know I want to get an amp and a sub and eventually upgrade the stock speakers. I've gone to a few shops and most recommend a 5 channel amp and two 10" or 12" subwoofers. I want to know what you are running and how satisfied you are with it. Some pricing idea wouldn't hurt either. Thanks!

BTW: The amps i am considering are the Alpine MRXV70 and the Kicker ZX700.5. The subs are either a single Kicker TCVT122 or two Pioneer TS-W304R. This will be installed tomorrow as I want to be rockin' by Go Topless Day. :rock:

in my old car i had a 12" MTX Thunder 7500 series sub, solid box, 2 ferit capacitor, and a 1000 W kenwood amp. the thing kicked hard! parents said they heard me a few blocks away and that how they knew i was almost home. also i had pioneer speakers (i forget which ones). they were brand new back in '08

side note- just me but i wouldnt put it in my jeep due to the openness of it.

edit- sorry they were alpine speakers

Last edited:

JK_Jonny305

in my old car i had a 12" MTX Thunder 7500 series sub, solid box, 2 ferit capacitor, and a 1000 W kenwood amp. the thing kicked hard! parents said they heard me a few blocks away and that how they knew i was almost home. also i had pioneer speakers (i forget which ones). they were brand new back in '08

I'm primarily just looking to increase volume and clarity from my system so it sounds better/crisp. This should help both with top down and top on.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm primarily just looking to increase volume and clarity from my system so it sounds better/crisp. This should help both with top down and top on.

sorry they were alpine speakers i had so i would go with them. they are really good ones the replace the stock ones.

as for what i am running currenty im still stock. the top is almost always down so i listen to the wind and my tires a lot more then music

JK_Jonny305

edit- sorry they were alpine speakers

That setup sounds nice lol just had someone show me what twonmtx 12" sounds like..... I think I felt the bass in my gut. Awesome!

Bigblake58

I have 2-12" Kicker DTXs pushed by a 1000W kicker amp and it thumps!!! Only thing is that it all goes away when u take the top off!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Devallee

I'm running two 12" Rockford Fosgate subs (the model is the P2) with solid box and with the matching P2 amp. Speakers are still stock. Clean crisp bass. Has plenty of power if I wanna show off but just enough to deal with driving around everyday. Couldn't be happier. I'd advise not getting it bolted down or anything so you can remove it when wheeling if you need the space. I rigged up a little strap/lock to keep it secured when the top is off in case anybody is feeling mischievous :thumb:

Devallee

I have 2-12" Kicker DTXs pushed by a 1000W kicker amp and it thumps!!! Only thing is that it all goes away when u take the top off!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

I face the subs toward the front (against the back of the back seats) when the top is off and still get a good thump outta mine instead of keeping them faced towards the rear

DasBuxxx

Back in the day I used to install "systems" in people cars for some cash on the side. Lots of custom work with it too (smoked out plexiglass glass installs, custom lighting for the system and so on). My experience with Kicker has been great. I have run their subs in a number of cars, trucks and Jeeps. I would recommend throwing down a little extra cash and stepping up to a 12" Kick L5 for your sub. If you use a solid (non ported) box you will not need any more than this. It will sound clear and it will hit like an SOB. Also, if you run ported you will save your sub on a little wear and tear, and not feel it hit as hard. In my opinion thought I like buying things only one time and the L5 is the way to go, it runs with the best of them in my opinion, but don't get me wrong it is no JL W7.

I did an install one time in a TJ with this exact set up. We ran a JL Audio amp and one Kicker 12" L5. We went with the JL amp because of the internal capacitor. At that time JL and Xtant were the only two I recall doing this. I don't know who is doing it now but it is worth considering, it will keep power to the sub as close to constant as you can get. The owner of this jeep would rarely use the back seat, so we placed the sub to where it would but up againt the seat facing the front of the Jeep when the seat was installed. We then, for security and because it looked pretty bad ass, took some chain link and did an X pattern from corner to corner and welded it down to the body. There was no way that thing was going anywhere.

Devallee is right on too. If you are running with the top off have the speakers face the seats and you will get the thump you are looking for. Girls that will ride in your back seat wont mind it either ;)

JKU EXTREME

I myself, when I feel the need to upgrade speakers and and add subs, I'm thinking about putting in marine speakers on different points on the rig, other than stock locations, boat speakers are waterproof and sound good because they're suppose to sound clear in the wind you would most likely find on the water.
I may be a stupid idea but I like it, use my advice at your own risk

Sent from JKU EXTREME "Just Explore Every Place"

Last edited:

1yellowjk

The only thing I have to add is the JK wiring system is very picky and does not play well with others. Be careful about after market systems and wiring into the factory harness as you may come up with strange effects (lights blinking, windshield wipers turning on etc...)

I plan to add an amp and upgarde all the speakers with Polk or MB Quartz. I have found that sealed boxes work much better in Jeeps and converts than ported or bandpass setups. You can wire your amp on a switch and rewire all the speakers/bypassing the factory harness to avoid the interface with the factory wiring.

I ran 2 JL 12's in a sealed 4.5cf box, about 2.2cf per sub on a pawnshop marine amp (about 500rms@ 4ohms) it worked well. Since putting a system in a Jeep is normally about volume and less about audiophile, you can go with a cheaper amp because your worry about signal to noise isn't that great.

DasBuxxx

The only thing I have to add is the JK wiring system is very picky and does not play well with others. Be careful about after market systems and wiring into the factory harness as you may come up with strange effects (lights blinking, windshield wipers turning on etc...)

I plan to add an amp and upgarde all the speakers with Polk or MB Quartz. I have found that sealed boxes work much better in Jeeps and converts than ported or bandpass setups. You can wire your amp on a switch and rewire all the speakers/bypassing the factory harness to avoid the interface with the factory wiring.

I ran 2 JL 12's in a sealed 4.5cf box, about 2.2cf per sub on a pawnshop marine amp (about 500rms@ 4ohms) it worked well. Since putting a system in a Jeep is normally about volume and less about audiophile, you can go with a cheaper amp because your worry about signal to noise isn't that great.

MBQ FTW. Love those things. :rock:Are you ging to run an amp for them as well?

1yellowjk

MBQ FTW. Love those things. :rock:Are you ging to run an amp for them as well?

I'd like to find a small good 4 channel amp that I can mount somewhere hidden....still looking for something, run all the speakers off a 4 channel and the subs off the amp I have now.

I have had great luck with MB speakers, Polk as well.

DasBuxxx

I'd like to find a small good 4 channel amp that I can mount somewhere hidden....still looking for something, run all the speakers off a 4 channel and the subs off the amp I have now.

I have had great luck with MB speakers, Polk as well.

That would sound awesome. getting the tweeters in the stock location would be awesome too. I think it would sound really nice especially with a 4 channel. You may be able to mod the center console to be a decent hiding spot. Also keep it out of the elements (other than some vents I would recommend for airflow). Plus depending on what you run with and how it is installed, could give you some easy access to adjust you levels.

You have got the gears in my head turning...that is never good:eek:

1yellowjk

If I knew how to weld i would cut out the stock cubby hole/factory jack area and weld in a larger square box. In the box I would mount my amps/fuses and such. Since I don't have the factory exhaust anymore I have plenty of open space where the factory exhaust used to be.

Something similar to this but a little larger and sqaured up so that mounting items would be easier.

duelbat1.jpg

DasBuxxx

If I knew how to weld i would cut out the stock cubby hole/factory jack area and weld in a larger square box. In the box I would mount my amps/fuses and such. Since I don't have the factory exhaust anymore I have plenty of open space where the factory exhaust used to be.

Something similar to this but a little larger and sqaured up so that mounting items would be easier.

duelbat1.jpg

That would be nice. I'm even thinking, custom overhead storage like you see for CB's would be pretty cool, then you could turn the rear storage into a cooler :honey::beer:

jkhutchison09

Went with all Polk Audio in mine. 1 12" in a ported box with a Polk 800 watt amp and all the factory speakers with Polk DXi650s. All the Polk I have is "Marine Certified" so I would assume they would hold up a little better in the weather and so far they have. Don't have an amp yet for the 6.5s but system still rocks with the top and doors off.

JK_Jonny305

duelbat1.jpg

Careful! There's a buddy of mine that did that and it was great right up until he came back to his amp sitting in a nice puddle of water after a nice rainy day.

1yellowjk

Careful! There's a buddy of mine that did that and it was great right up until he came back to his amp sitting in a nice puddle of water after a nice rainy day.

LOL, doing something like that you have to take car to allow for drainage, I would just seal it up and vent high enough to not allow water in, plus I don't get into high water anyway...besides until I learn or find someone to weld for me, it's a pipe dream. More than not I will reverse mount the amp under the passenger seat.

Top Bottom