JK Sound System Upgrade

Devallee

Do you have any pictures of this little mod? I'm very interested![/QUOTE]

I'm away at college with the jeep at home but basically I just drilled a couple holes in the bottom corner of the box (one through the side and the other coming out of the front) big enough to run a cable lock through than locked it on one of the tie down points behind the backseat. Might not so factory but it works and I can run topless without worrying about losing my investment :thumb: and its not permanent so I can take the subs out when I need the room

Devallee

That's similar to what I have in mind if I don't go the 5 channel route.

Do you have any pictures of this little mod? I'm very interested!

I'm away at college with the jeep at home but basically I just drilled a couple holes in the bottom corner of the box (one through the side and the other coming out of the front) big enough to run a cable lock through than locked it on one of the tie down points behind the backseat. Might not so factory but it works and I can run topless without worrying about losing my investment :thumb: and its not permanent so I can take the subs out when I need the room

Devallee

Also, a great way to hide the amp if you dont want to have to run all the wiring to the trunk is to just zip tie it upside down under one of the front or back seats. Keeps it out of sight when the doors are off

Jeepmaverick

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369091720.932821.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369091738.511374.jpg

2 treo amps(as you can see)

2 15" mtx audio subs. Id take a picture of the subs but they face the floor of the jeep and I don't feel like lifting the box up at the moment

If I'm going out on a trail or hunting I just unplug the wires and pull the box out for storage. I don't need a radio under those circumstances.

Jeepmaverick

^^ I wasn't trying to show my set up off or nothing, I was saying that's where I put my amps to keep them out covered and how I set mine up. I also ran all the wires under my carpet. I like the idea of bolting them under the seat, that's brilliant!

JK_Jonny305

Alright, so I went with a 2000 watt amp and 2 12" subs. It sounded amazing as I drove out. But I have a problem now, started with a battery light, then all my gauges went nuts, and eventually it just shut off. I charged the battery up when I got home, it ran just fine for another day, on my way home from work, same thing except I just shut everything off and was able to ride home. It seems like the system is just drawing too much power or something.

Also worth noting, the alternator seems to be making a whirring sound at idle and when accelerating. I'll see if I can record a video to show the sound its making. I tested the battery and its reading about 12-13v.

BlackKnight

Alright, so I went with a 2000 watt amp and 2 12" subs. It sounded amazing as I drove out. But I have a problem now, started with a battery light, then all my gauges went nuts, and eventually it just shut off. I charged the battery up when I got home, it ran just fine for another day, on my way home from work, same thing except I just shut everything off and was able to ride home. It seems like the system is just drawing too much power or something.

Also worth noting, the alternator seems to be making a whirring sound at idle and when accelerating. I'll see if I can record a video to show the sound its making. I tested the battery and its reading about 12-13v.

Sounds like you might have burnt the Alternator. you may need to upgrade the Alternator and move to a double battery setup.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
before you upgrade your alt. buy a 2 farad capacitor. this will store a lot of the power that your amp will draw. gives that batterie some time to recharge. if it doesnt help a lot then upgrade your alt as well. this is just a cheaper fix for the time being

edit - upgrade your batterie as well :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom