PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on easiest way to remove/replace front springs

dgriz
05-17-2013, 12:06 AM
I have a new set of front springs I want to put on this weekend in my driveway. I have all the wrenches and sockets I'll need plus a floor jack and a couple of jack stands. Will these be enough or will I need anything else?

The JSPEC lift I have was put on in a shop that had a lift and help from the shop owner and a friend of mine. This time I'm probably doing it alone so I hope I remember what needs to be unbolted for the axle to drop enough to remove the springs. Maybe someone could remind me and offer a few tips? Thanks!

10frank9
05-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Look here this is a good starting point and refresher.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/teraflex-jeep-jk-wrangler-25-budget-boost-lift-installation-write-up

munstie
05-17-2013, 12:23 AM
You'll wanna disconnect the sway bar and lower shock bolts, and let the axle droop.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

StrizzyChris
05-17-2013, 12:43 AM
You'll wanna disconnect the sway bar and lower shock bolts, and let the axle droop.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

This is exactly what I did just two days ago when I placed my coil spacers. Super easy to do. When you're done, just tighten them down to (I believe)75lb torque

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Tackerdown
05-17-2013, 12:56 AM
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3976-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-5-quot-Budget-Boost-Installation-Write-Up
And the torch specs are in the jk nube area.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

gtony12
05-17-2013, 01:00 AM
I did my fronts and added rubi springs was super easy discounted sway bar and shocks and loosen the brake line bracket and down it went.:thumbup:

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris
05-17-2013, 01:46 AM
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3976-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-2-5-quot-Budget-Boost-Installation-Write-Up
And the torch specs are in the jk nube area.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

Lol I better go out and loosen my shock to 56 :cheesy: I knew the sways were 75 and thought the shocks were the same :doh:

JKbrick
05-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Strizzychris, did you put the spacer between the coil spring and the stock rubber isolator or spring isolator and spacer?

Tackerdown
05-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Lol I better go out and loosen my shock to 56 :cheesy: I knew the sways were 75 and thought the shocks were the same :doh:

Lol there are so Damn many different torch spec in my head any more I get confused every time I do something on my jeep. Thanks Eddie for the torch specs in the noob section .

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

StrizzyChris
05-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Strizzychris, did you put the spacer between the coil spring and the stock rubber isolator or spring isolator and spacer?

Sorry, just saw this...spacer then isolator then spring

JKbrick
05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks, going in sunday

dgriz
05-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Just dropping the axle didn't allow the springs to clear the bump stops so I ended up borrowing some spring compressors. Of course, after I got them out 1.5 hours later, I realized I could have fit a socket in there and removed the bump stops and they would have come right out without the compressors... DOH! Well, I removed the bump stops, slid them into the new springs and then put both into place together. This will be a breeze the next time I want to replace springs... :doh: