How do you know you need a new tie rod?

I've been reading around and I'm seeing a lot of people say that movement is normal(by movement I mean able to move it with your hand) but one guy told me my tie rod is worn out and I need a new one. So I'm wondering if there's a guaranteed test I can do that will give me a straightforward answer of either yes it's bad or no it isn't before I drop $$$ on the RK tie rod. (35s on the stock tie rod if that helps any)

And while I'm at it, when you get a new tie rod can you use the old steering stabilizer and just re-mount it?

suicideking

I've been reading around and I'm seeing a lot of people say that movement is normal(by movement I mean able to move it with your hand) but one guy told me my tie rod is worn out and I need a new one. So I'm wondering if there's a guaranteed test I can do that will give me a straightforward answer of either yes it's bad or no it isn't before I drop $$$ on the RK tie rod. (35s on the stock tie rod if that helps any)

And while I'm at it, when you get a new tie rod can you use the old steering stabilizer and just re-mount it?

The tie rod itself is steel, so don't think it's going to wear out. Maybe just the bushings/ends?

You can use the old stabilizer, just may need to buy a different size mounting bracket since the aftermarket rod will likely be larger. While you're at it, get a relocation bracket to mount it higher. Only necessary if you wheel it though.

Tcdawg

The actual tie rod could be bent, if you hit it on a rock. Check your toe to see what it is. Should be around 1/8 in.

The Tie Rod Ends could be worn. Get someone to sit in the drivers seat and rock the steering wheel back and forth, kind if hard, about 4 or 5 inched back and forth. Watch and feel the TRE's. there should be no lateral movement of the TRE in the tie rod itself.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, there is one guaranteed way to know if your tie rod ends or TRE's are worn out and that is if you can make it move up and down or side to side as in, an X or Y or Z axis. If you can, the joints are bad. Rotational movement is totally normal.

Yes, you can reuse your current steering stabilizer but, depending on what aftermarket tie rod you get, you will have to use their mount as the rod will most likely be thicker in diameter. The RK tie rod provides new clamps to allow you to use the factory mount.

deezus

Yes, there is one guaranteed way to know if your tie rod ends or TRE's are worn out and that is if you can make it move up and down or side to side as in, an X or Y or Z axis. If you can, the joints are bad. Rotational movement is totally normal.

How much movement? I just installed a synergy on my 13 JKUR and it moves a lot. Pinch bolt and tie rod jam nut are tight. I tightened the castle bolts down to 60lbs with a socket wrench.

Top Bottom