Trade in advice.

Lane87

I'm thinking about trading my 08 rubicon unlimited in for a new rubicon unlimited. What advice do you guys have for getting the most money on trade in?

TheStick

I say sell it yourself. I know not apples to apples but I sold my truck to buy my JKU and got $2,000 more than the trade in value. Get a dealer trade in quote and price it $1000-$2000 more on craigslist and I bet you sell it fast.

phillypete

Why don't we swap axles before you trade it in. I doubt anyone would take notice you had a 30 up front! Wink wink

MNMudder

I just traded my 12 6spd for a 13 auto due to health reasons. Removed my leveling kit, rails, and tires\wheels before I went in. Was basically back to stock except for the cut fenders. I paid 23.8k for it a year ago and was offered 23k trade value. You may be suprised what you may be able to get trade value wise. Or as stated above, use their number as a starting point and sell it out right. Good luck! :thumb:

Voodoo Actual

I say sell it yourself. I know not apples to apples but I sold my truck to buy my JKU and got $2,000 more than the trade in value. Get a dealer trade in quote and price it $1000-$2000 more on craigslist and I bet you sell it fast.

That may be true however, he'll get a tax credit by trading.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes! The new motor is great!

I want to see what they would give me for mine but don't want to put it back to stock. Lol

Bacon

you'll almost always get more out of it if it's stock. plus you can probably put a lot of the stuff on the new one. Do you like the mods you've made and parts you've installed? would you make the exact same purchases/mods on your next Jeep?

remember that you won't pay tax on whatever they give you for the trade. So if they give you (for example) $20,000 and the tax in your state is 10%, then your trade is actually worth $22,000 of the final price of the new Jeep. Which means you'd have to get more than $22,000 out of your Jeep in a private sale to be ahead of the game. Plus there's always the question of how much of a hassle you'll go through to sell it, and how long it'll take. Just some things to keep in mind...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm thinking about trading my 08 rubicon unlimited in for a new rubicon unlimited. What advice do you guys have for getting the most money on trade in?

My dad was a general sales manager at a dealer for a long time. What you should do is go onto edmunds.com and look up the private listing price of your jeep in fair/good condition. This price will usually be about 2,500-3,000 more than the dealer offer price. When you go to trade it in make sure you work them down on both ends, the new purchase price and work them up to that private sellers price. This will bring your payments way down. Also when negotiating the invoice price is basically the bottom line for the dealer. So start your price that you want lower then the invoice price.

Sent from my iPhone

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Its very much luck of the draw. I got 3k more from the dealership than i paid for it.

SPIELUHR

Ya if you so trade it in I would def take everything you can off and hopefully transfer it over to your new one cuz it doesn't matter what all extra you have done to it it wont make the trade in value any higher. Been trying to convince the gf to trade in her 08 Sahara for a 4 door but she doesn't want to loose the lifetime power train warranty. good luck either way let us know what you decide but I def do like the 3.6L over the 3.8L since I drive both everyday and the 3.6 is a lot easier to work on

Voodoo Actual

Not in California :(

I am sorry that it has become the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

I spent time growing up in Southern California - was good place. Later on in life I again, spent time in Southern California - not too bad. Now days - what a mess.

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
If you decide to trade it in get a quote from dealer then go to carmax they will give you usually $1,000.00 + more. Don't show them your quote those its for you to gauge your price. Do you own it out right I wasn't sure if saw that.:)

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you decide to trade it in get a quote from dealer then go to carmax they will give you usually $1,000.00 + more. Don't show them your quote those its for you to gauge your price. Do you own it out right I wasn't sure if saw that.:)

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

When I traded my f150 in carmax wanted to give me $13k for it. The dealer gave me almost $16k for it.

Top Bottom