Advice wanted

MVSicari

Hey all, I'm contemplating trading in my 2012 Sport for either a JKU sport or a JKU Rubicon in 6 months or so. I need more room because i'm planning on getting married shortly and eventually starting a family and I don't think the 2 door is gonna cut it. I really don't do much off roading so I don't know if I can justify getting the Rubicon or not. I would love to have all the extra goodies but I don't think I will ever use them to their full potential. On the other hand I would hate to buy the sport and then getting more into rock climbing etc and have to shell out even more money when I could have done things right the first time. I'm sure a bunch of you have been on the fence before and want to hear what you guys and gals decided on. Thanks for your time =) :beer:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I bought mine with the intention of wheeling it. But all said and done I could build it better for cheaper then a rubi. I got my '12 really cheap since the dealer was trying to get rid of it.

But it really depends what your plans are and what you can get each model for price wise.

MVSicari

It's going to be a daily driver just like my 2012 is right now. Honestly the only "off road" driving I have done was playing on some dirt roads after some heavy rain and driving on the beach. I'm leaning more twards just a JKU, Rubis are hard to come by and i'd probably have to order one from the dealer and pay full MSRP and wait on it. Anyone else have input?

JAGS

Hooked
I think most/many would say start with a rubicon if you can afford to do so.

It's much more capable out of the box and allows for some great wheeling bone stock. It's also a great base to build from with upgrading wheeling components.

But it's not possible to swing for everyone and if that's your situation, go sport or Sahara and worry about the build if and when the time comes.

Either way, your jeepin!

gouacats

If it was me in your shoes, I'd get the Sport and save your $. I think you'll be surprised how capable a stock Jeep is when/if you do start wheeling it.

It's going to be a daily driver just like my 2012 is right now. Honestly the only "off road" driving I have done was playing on some dirt roads after some heavy rain and driving on the beach. I'm leaning more twards just a JKU, Rubis are hard to come by and i'd probably have to order one from the dealer and pay full MSRP and wait on it. Anyone else have input?

like overlander said you can build something nicer than the rubi cheaper, i'm looking at getting a second jk now, my girlfriend bought me my 12' 2door sport, now she wants one so were trading in her suburban on a JKU.

go with the 4 door just opt for the better tires, for what you do you will have a blast and the family can go comfortably with you.

KPM171

My last Jeep, I built up a sport and agree that you'll be impressed by what they can do. But after 7 years of wrenching & wheelin', the only thing I wished I did differently was to get the Rubicon for the lockers, stronger axles, transfer case, sway bar disconnects, etc. If you think you'll wheel it just a few times over the life of the rig, I still think the Rubi is worth it. Just my $0.02.

Regarding pricing, shoot me a PM. I picked mine up at a dealership not far from NC and not only are their prices fantastic, they stock tons of Rubi's.

Fair disclaimer: I get no kick back of any sort for sending my local dealership customers.

mackey

I started my build with a 2012 JKUR. After I was done, I wished I started with a sport. The reason was I wanted to add 60s. It sucked having paid extra for the goodies on a Rubi to only have to take them off, attempt to sell them and then spend more money on 60s. I say you need to figure out what all mods you want and what kind of wheeling you plan on doing. Good luck.

I own a 2012 jku sport and will say, without lockers wheeling is more difficult. But then again...I think lockers would take some of the fun and challenge out of off roading. The only benefit I would see to the rubicon is the D44 up front but even that's not a big deal for daily driving and a little off roading

BadApple

I love my sport! no regrets at all but i do have sway bar qds rubicon springs and shocks 35s and getting it re geared still cheaper than a rubi

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
I'll try to make my noob statement short but hope it helps.
I'm kinda spoiled and wanted the nicer interior but you can get that with a Sahara I'm sure.
I don't have the money at this time to do any kind of build to a JKU so I wanted something completely capable so I got the rubi. I needed everything in one payment.
Thing is I've only used the locks maybe 3-4 times and one of which they didn't help and the other times I probably didn't need them.
I fully intend to push my limits though but in the same breath I didn't think I would before I started going out more.
The thing I'm not sure on is if the gears of the rubi make it that much more capable without lockers than just a JKU.

EVO 4G WAYALIFE.

Prime8

I bought mine with the intention of wheeling it. But all said and done I could build it better for cheaper then a rubi. I got my '12 really cheap since the dealer was trying to get rid of it.

But it really depends what your plans are and what you can get each model for price wise.

It's more expensive than buying a new D44, new transfer case, new electronic sway bar, new lockers front and rear, new suspension, new tires, and new gears (if you want 4.10)???? Seems like it would be more expensive to do separately. Cars aren't like houses, it is more expensive to buy the parts and assemble them yourself than it is to buy complete from the factory. Plus, people actually buy rubi take-offs, as opposed to sport take-offs.

MVSicari

My last Jeep, I built up a sport and agree that you'll be impressed by what they can do. But after 7 years of wrenching & wheelin', the only thing I wished I did differently was to get the Rubicon for the lockers, stronger axles, transfer case, sway bar disconnects, etc. If you think you'll wheel it just a few times over the life of the rig, I still think the Rubi is worth it. Just my $0.02.

Regarding pricing, shoot me a PM. I picked mine up at a dealership not far from NC and not only are their prices fantastic, they stock tons of Rubi's.

Fair disclaimer: I get no kick back of any sort for sending my local dealership customers.

PM'd.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm most likely gonna get the Rubi if I can find one in the color I want at a good price. :rock:

Napalm90

Only reason I web rubi was because I knew I would be stock for awhile so wanted something more capable stock.

Sent via carrier pigeon

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's more expensive than buying a new D44, new transfer case, new electronic sway bar, new lockers front and rear, new suspension, new tires, and new gears (if you want 4.10)???? Seems like it would be more expensive to do separately. Cars aren't like houses, it is more expensive to buy the parts and assemble them yourself than it is to buy complete from the factory. Plus, people actually buy rubi take-offs, as opposed to sport take-offs.

If you read what I wrote I said for me. I could put $14k into mine before I hit the price of a rubi. Meaning I could build it a lot better then a stock rubi.

Prime8

Well he is asking what HE should do. And in order to get a Sport to the same point as a rubi, with interior upgrades and all, it would cost more to do it yourself.

So the real question for the OP is "what do you want your rig FOR?" The Rubi is a good deal, but if you are NEVER going to wheel, you don't need one.

buy a Rubi!!!!!!!!! and not have to question yourself later. buying axles for a sport still doesnt make it a rubi! the T-case alone is worth the $50 a month difference in the payment!

andrew -

Last edited:

ichthus

Getting married in a few months and starting a family eventually? Keep what ya got and save a few bucks each month... I've only been married 5 1/2 years and we've had 7 different vehicles in that time (5 Jeeps). Even with one kid, the 2 door is fine until the child has to be in a rear facing car seat (those car seats you carry around that lock into a base that is fixed to your rear seat can slide through the passenger side with seat flipped forward...and that lasts till child is 1 or so).

Enjoy what you have for a while, get it paid off as quickly as you can and have fun learning to wheel the one your wife doesn't expect to be a battle tank of protection for babies :)

Top Bottom