Ok for now? - Bent Sway Bar Link Bracket

Charlie Mike

Hi Guys

Recently had the EVO Bolt-on Coilover kit installed on my rig. I haven't wheeled it hard yet, but must have done something to tweak it the wrong way. See pictures below. Looks like I bent the bracket just where the sway bar link is tied to the axle housing.

What do you guys think? Obviously it's not ideal, but should I get it replaced? Or can I roll this way for a while? Is it a big deal? I'm going to do some flex tests and see if there's any bad contact or binding anywhere. But in the mean time, any thoughts? Thanks. :beer:

SwaybarLinkBracket1.JPG

SwaybarLinkBracket2.JPG

SwaybarLinkBracket3.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! How the hell did you do that?? :crazyeyes:

If you have a big crescent wrench, you can use it to straighten it out. Either way, you'll be fine - it being bent is no big deal. :)

Charlie Mike

LOL!! How the hell did you do that?? :crazyeyes:

If you have a big crescent wrench, you can use it to straighten it out. Either way, you'll be fine - it being bent is no big deal. :)

My thoughts exactly! :shock: Was really surprised when I saw it. Couldn't believe it since I really haven't wheeled it hard at all. :naw:
I'll go-to-town on it with a crescent wrench. Thanks for the peace of mind. :beer:

Charlie Mike

I always disconnect on the trail. But I know the e-disco will lock back up if you go over a certain speed. Maybe that's what did me in. :thinking: When I was at Otay Mountain down in SD recently, I would cruise on the flat stuff around 20-25mph, then slow for an obstacle, then go back to cruising. Maybe the e-disco couldn't keep up with the "fast-and-slow" back-and-forth wheeling. :idontknow:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Both sides on mine are not only bent but cracked also. I am going to have EVO beef up the brackets next time it is in. I think I might have forgot to disconnect once or twice, but this is definitely a weak spot on both sides. Thin metal needs beefed up!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369863799.215673.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369863837.569274.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know, looking at the pics again, you have your links installed backwards on the axle mount. These should be reversed and that will help prevent this from happening.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You know, looking at the pics again, you have your links installed backwards on the axle mount. These should be reversed and that will help prevent this from happening.

I'm glad you posted this. I was looking at the picture and wasn't sure what looked different. I was about to run out to my jeep and look at mine. You saved me about 12 minutes of my day. :thumb: :beer:

OP: Good luck getting it fixed!

Charlie Mike

My links are backwards? :thinking: That's odd because Off Road Evolution installed my kit. So the link should be on the inside of the mount, not the outside? Is that what you mean?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369866921.521847.jpg
This is how strong we had to make ours if you want to wheel connect
It is a lot EZer on everything to disconnect when articulating or off Roading

It also looks like the lower links may have gotten installed incorrectly
Simple fix!! Swing yours by the shop we can take care of it while you wait

Last edited:
My links are backwards? :thinking: That's odd because Off Road Evolution installed my kit. So the link should be on the inside of the mount, not the outside? Is that what you mean?

Yes I believe that may be the problem. If ORE installed, call them up and I bet they will get it all fixed up...

EDIT: I see ORE has already said just that...

Last edited:

Charlie Mike

View attachment 32599
This is how strong we had to make ours if you want to wheel connect
It is a lot EZer on everything to disconnect when articulating or off Roading

It also looks like the lower links may have gotten installed incorrectly
Simple fix!! Swing yours by the shop we can take care of it while you wait

Sweet! Thanks Mel! I just gave Jake a call, and he's going to take care of me. :thumb:

JKbrick

I thought I read that once the e-disco locks back up it stays connected? So if you go over set speed you are no longer disconnected, it doesn't connect and disconnect by your speed. Is this wrong?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I read that once the e-disco locks back up it stays connected? So if you go over set speed you are no longer disconnected, it doesn't connect and disconnect by your speed. Is this wrong?

This is correct. Driving at higher speeds for a period of time will cause your e-disco to re-engage and lock up.

Top Bottom