AEV ProCal Not Working

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so another thread got me thinking I should start a thread about this. So, I have a 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and I used an AEV ProCal to calibrate my speedometer and turn off the TPMS light. I've been running without any issues since doing this almost 2 years ago but recently, I decided to make an adjustment to my tire size being that they have worn down considerably since first being installed. Unfortunately, I found this to not be possible. When I plug in my ProCal, I get a 4-2 code which, according to AEV's trouble shooting guide means:

"Error in Vehicle ID
The ProCal has encountered an unexpected error while determining the vehicle type and equipment. Make sure the vehicle’s ignition is ON and the vehicle is in a working state. Contact AEV if problem persists."

While the troubleshooting guide states that a 4-1 code would mean it's VIN locked:

"Paired Vehicle Mismatch
This ProCal is locked to another vehicle. Restore the original vehicle to stock prior to using on another vehicle."

Research I've done on Google suggest that a 4-2 can mean the same thing. Trouble is, I bought my ProCal unit new, used it ONLY on my 2012 JK and have since stored it at home. It has never been hooked up to another Jeep and really, the only thing I can think of is that I didn't bother to restore my settings back to stock when I had a cylinder #6 misfire problem and had the head replaced at the dealership under warranty. Unfortunately, I had assumed that it would be okay to leave well enough alone but apparently, I was wrong. While my speedo is still relatively correct and TPMS light is still off, I find that I can no longer program anything else.

I know there are some that will tell you that you will not have to return your Jeep's program settings back to stock when taking it in to the dealership but, I'm gonna suggest that you do anyway... just in case. It's easy to do and it'll help ensure you don't run into the problem that I now face.

Just some food for thought.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Taking it a step further, doesn't that present a dilemma for people who have regeared and used the procal to set the gear ratio? That is, if you are still under warranty anyway and do not want the dealer to know you used the procal.

Edit: had you tried to reset anything with the procal BEFORE you had the head replaced?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Taking it a step further, doesn't that present a dilemma for people who have regeared and used the procal to set the gear ratio? That is, if you are still under warranty anyway and do not want the dealer to know you used the procal.

Well, if you have an 07-11, it shouldn't make a difference as the only thing different would be that your speedo is off. On a 2012 or newer, you would have issues with the limp mode but really, most dealerships are fine with ProCal's and other programmers and will even recommend that you restore your program before leaving it with them.

Edit: had you tried to reset anything with the procal BEFORE you had the head replaced?

No, only after and without any luck.

If you reset the ECU to stock, will the ProCal be able to work again?

Unfortunately, I don't know for sure but don't think so.

Have you contacted AEV?

I have sent them an email about it today and have not heard back from them yet.

Beyrgut

Well I just used mine for the first time last weekend after installing wheels and tires and it was a little frustrating. I would put in the codes for tire size, tpms for 22psi, etc and all did the 2 honk confirm but did not really take. Damn TPMS light stayed on ans said inflate to 36 psi, shifting on the freeway would go up to 3rd and had to manually shift after that. In the end I set the VIN unlock code to reset everything back to stock and re-programmed my settings and it worked like a charm. I am guessing it writes to some kind of config file which got corrupted since they only store values for the computer to use and don't re-write the flash.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you may know that I have already posted this up in the other AEV Procal thread but, I came across this one that I started and thought I should wrap it up with an update. Long story short, AEV did get back me and came through by sending out a new replacement Procal and it works perfectly. I sent back the unit that I had for them to do some investigating. For the record, I've been assured that having the dealership flash my computer should NOT have caused the previous unit to fail.

IMG_4913.jpg

CarolinaJK

Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I'm bringing in my Jeep to the dealership in the morning for a leaking rear main seal. I have the Procal and was wondering about flashing the Jeep back to stock or not. From what I can gather from the last post by Eddie, it "shouldn't" be necessary per AEV?

Edit: I found your other thread and it answered my question. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom