Truck-lite LED fitment issue

Showroom

Wanted to see if anyone has had issues with the light not snugging up with the ring that holds it in place.
Just picked up a set and installed them and noticed they are not very tight. One side is pretty good but I can rotate it slightly. The other side is ridiculously loose and sloppy. All 4 screws are tight and I can rotate it back and forth. Any ideas. The stock ones go back in nice and tight

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wow. For $500 I need proper fitment. I wrap things in electrical tape when I cheap out or am rigging something that failed on the trail.
Just my two cents.

I only spent $420 on mine so I may have gotten the cheaper ones.

If I remember correctly, Truck lites were not made for the JK. They are 7" lights that fit in the JK. That's why. And in my opinion it works pretty damn well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If I remember correctly, Truck lites were not made for the JK. They are 7" lights that fit in the JK. That's why. And in my opinion it works pretty damn well.

Yup, what he said. They are 7" lights that happen to fit a JK and honestly, one of the best investments I've made to mine.

defCon5

Well in that case, you can buy a palette of electrical tape with the $80. 😉

Showroom

Thanks for you input.
They may be a 7" universal light but plenty of off road shops list them for a jk. A simple spacer between the trim ring and light would tighten even thing up nicely, way better then electrical tape and wouldn't where out from vibrations. For 500 bucks I'm pretty disappointed but I know the light output will be worth figuring something out, just don't feel I should have to modify something like this right outta the box

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for you input.
They may be a 7" universal light but plenty of off road shops list them for a jk. A simple spacer between the trim ring and light would tighten even thing up nicely, way better then electrical tape and wouldn't where out from vibrations. For 500 bucks I'm pretty disappointed but I know the light output will be worth figuring something out, just don't feel I should have to modify something like this right outta the box

You don't have to. I didn't do it to mine. I will but haven't yet. I can't tell if they are moving or not

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for you input.

You blame the light but isn't it possible that the flimsy metal retaining rings that come on your Jeep may be real culprit here? I have installed 3 pair of these lights on 3 different Jeeps and have only found one light on one Jeep to be a loose fit. Even you have stated that one light fit pretty good on your Jeep. These are universal 7" lights that off road shops sell for a JK as they will in fact fit a JK and if you look at them carefully, the tolerances on them are pretty exact where as the retaining rings are not. Just trying to put things into perspective.

For what it's worth, I wrapped the edge of my one loose light with 2 complete loops of electrical tape to help snug up the fit and haven't had a problem in over 30,000 rough miles.

YKPizzaGuy

Lol. When buying any aftermarket parts listed "for your ride" I have always had to do a little bit of cutting , adding , grinding , to make everything fit tight. I'm always blown away when something just pops in easy ;) makes me suspicious 8)
I've had 2 GC SRT8's that I MODed the hell out of and that was a real pain compared to my JK. At least with the JK there's endless options for parts :) I think at the end of the day your lucky to have parts that we can make fit with a little help from tape, cutters, hammers ;)

Showroom

Well I don't think the rings are the culprit. I used my calipers to measure the difference in thickness between lights. As you can see thickness of the stock one is .555 and the truck-lite is .505 That's a pretty big difference. I measured from the trim ring would sit on the outside of the light and some small bumps on the inside of the light where it would snug up against the headlight housing in the jeep. So to me it's the thickness of the. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing or defending something that is so called "universal"
light ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370123285.077570.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol. When buying any aftermarket parts listed "for your ride" I have always had to do a little bit of cutting , adding , grinding , to make everything fit tight. I'm always blown away when something just pops in easy ;) makes me suspicious 8)
I've had 2 GC SRT8's that I MODed the hell out of and that was a real pain compared to my JK. At least with the JK there's endless options for parts :) I think at the end of the day your lucky to have parts that we can make fit with a little help from tape, cutters, hammers ;)

No kidding. I've tried building up an Isuzu Rodeo once - what a pain that was.

Well I don't think the rings are the culprit. I used my calipers to measure the difference in thickness between lights. As you can see thickness of the stock one is .555 and the truck-lite is .505 That's a pretty big difference. I measured from the trim ring would sit on the outside of the light and some small bumps on the inside of the light where it would snug up against the headlight housing in the jeep. So to me it's the thickness of the. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing or defending something that is so called "universal"
light View attachment 33249

Well then, I'm not exactly sure how to explain how most of the lights I installed worked out just fine or how even one of yours worked out pretty good. But again, it is a "universal" 7" light that fit a lot of vehicles and even motorcycles and I would imagine it would be difficult to make it work perfectly with everything that can use it. Again, just trying to put things into perspective. :yup:

jeeeep

Hooked
I've always used aluminum foil tape for situations like this - it's waterproof and looks nice and clean.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Maybe I will take a video to show how minimal the shimmy really is. It seriously is nothing that needs serious attention.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
light View attachment 33249

Only question I'd ask is did you also measure both mounting holes where the lights fit and both retaining rings? If both LEDs are the same thickness why is one side looser. I don't know what kind of tolerances Jeep applies to their cast parts but I'm sure they are not that great.

Honestly once you have the lights installed you won't care about the electrical tape. The difference from stock is mind blowing.👍👍

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Top Bottom